Best Women's Basketball Player EVER; Sue or Diana – ESPNW Wants Your Vote | The Boneyard

Best Women's Basketball Player EVER; Sue or Diana – ESPNW Wants Your Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPNW_3.png

Last month, Mechelle Voepel and Michelle Smith of espnW, and ESPN's Rebecca Lobo and Carolyn Peck each ranked their top 16 players in women's basketball history. We counted the votes and seeded the players accordingly. Since then, approximately 125,000 votes have helped players advance through the bracket. So here we are in the final as two current WNBA players very familiar with each other -- Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird -- face off. Vote to decide who gets crowned the best player ever.

[LINK]

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Voted for Di but I feel just a little guilty about not voting for Sue.

Reaction Score
Her overall skill-set which includes a combination of technical prowess, basketball IQ, an uncanny court awareness, 'clutch' that would make Mr. October and MJ proud, along with the unparalleled ability to elevate the game of those that share the court with her, make Diana Taurasi the Queen of the sport.

Reaction Score
I'm not voting just as I didn't vote when they put Maya and DT in the same bracket. They were hoping for only one UConn player (or none) in the final but they didn't count on the growing number of knowledgeable WBB fans out there. So it's an all UConn final anyway but really it should have been DT and Maya. Sue would be the PG though when they form the team!

Reaction Score
Sue Bird said in Sports Illustrated after the 2002 Championship"Diana can average 30 pts a game if she wanted to."Sue deserved the POY that year but Sue,Swin Aisha and Tamicka all knew the most talented was Diana!When Oklahoma pulled within 6 with little time left they ran 1-4 low and isolated Dee.She took the shot in the paint with 3 Sooners on her and made the shot while being fouled by Stacy Dales{no.5}and made the foul shot!Game over!Geno never ran isolation plays for anyone but Diana Taurasi!His words not mine.Best players ever Taurasi,Miller,Catchings,Holdsclaw and Bird!

Reaction Score
I'm not voting just as I didn't vote when they put Maya and DT in the same bracket. They were hoping for only one UConn player (or none) in the final but they didn't count on the growing number of knowledgeable WBB fans out there. So it's an all UConn final anyway but really it should have been DT and Maya. Sue would be the PG though when they form the team!
The only thing that keeps Sue ahead of Maya IMO.Sue made the players around her better.The one area that hurt Maya.If she won in 2011 that would be different.

Reaction Score
Her overall skill-set which includes a combination of technical prowess, basketball IQ, an uncanny court awareness, 'clutch' that would make Mr. October and MJ proud, along with the unparalleled ability to elevate the game of those that share the court with her, make Diana Taurasi the Queen of the sport.

You could also be describing Sue.

Reaction Score
DT up 59%/41% at this point (DT may be at home voting away while Sue is playing ball in Europe). I can't find on the site how long the voting will be open.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd like to see it closer than 60-40, but I suspect that Dee will win by at least that much. Dee truly is the GOAT.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Of the two, DT. Unquestionably. To someone with no pro UConn bias, she is a legitimate contender in any talk about the greatest player ever.

Sue Bird is a great player. Probably not greater than Maya, except that her career has been much longer to judge her by. In reality, arguably not necessarily greater than Dawn Staley or Teresa Edwards or others "in their prime" - which most of us never saw.

I'm sure Ms. Lobo is correct in thinking that there was a UConn bias in the voting, which I didn't follow step by step. To dismiss Cheryl Miller and other "old timers" out of hand is to say that Walter Johnson and Babe Ruth were not among the greatest ever, or Bill Russel and Kareem, or Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard, etc., etc.

Reaction Score
I vote Sue. Because I think most people will vote DT. I wish they both are happy.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to run another poll, but do it as a one vote option. So you would list all the players (no brackets) and space for a write-in. People would have to vote once for only one player. I would like to compare the results. I suspect DT would still win, but the rest might be quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom