Best UConn Layup Player | The Boneyard

Best UConn Layup Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is tough because there's a bunch to lace 'em for the Huskies and be good a layups, but here it goes.

Nadav- Made them look effortless. Just glide through the D and put it off the square and in the hoop.

Selvie- A bit controversial this high, but think about it. Everytime he'd step on the baseline and get whistled for it, he'd look down at the floor and flip the ball towards the hoop. I don't think he missed any of those.

Chris Smith- Billy Packer swears Smith would carry the ball on his crossover, but it got him in the lane and he could finger roll.

Voskuhl- Little known fact that Voskuhl never once dunked in HS or college. Wasn't til the NBA when he actually dunked.

Keven Freeman- He was Tim Thomas' high school teammate and that alone gets him on the list.

Karl Hobbs- Sixth man for this list. He set the tone for all the JC Huskies who were good at layups.

EDIT: Re-checked my sources. Jake actually did dunk in HS and at UConn. I got it mixed up with him never scoring 20 points in a game until he got to the NBA.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
This is tough because there's a bunch to lace 'em for the Huskies and be good a layups, but here it goes.

Nadav- Made them look effortless. Just glide through the D and put it off the square and in the hoop.

Selvie- A bit controversial this high, but think about it. Everytime he'd step on the baseline and get whistled for it, he'd look down at the floor and flip the ball towards the hoop. I don't think he missed any of those.

Chris Smith- Billy Packer swears Smith would carry the ball on his crossover, but it got him in the lane and he could finger roll.

Voskuhl- Little known fact that Voskuhl never once dunked in HS or college. Wasn't til the NBA when he actually dunked.

Keven Freeman- He was Tim Thomas' high school teammate and that alone gets him on the list.

Karl Hobbs- Sixth man for this list. He set the tone for all the JC Huskies who were good at layups.

EDIT: Re-checked my sources. Jake actually did dunk in HS and at UConn. I got it mixed up with him never scoring 20 points in a game until he got to the NBA.

Earl Kelly had a way of hanging in the air to get the contact for the "and one".....

Reaction Score
I'll take Superman, you can have the rest:

bengordon_dunking.jpg

Reaction Score
Suggested diminishing quality threads as this endless summer wears on:

Best crossover.
Best baseline jumper.
Best non-dominant hand.
Best charge taker.
Best vocal bench supporter.
Best form entering game.
Best post-dunk camera celebration.
Best team celebration.
Best off balance shot.
Best hair do.
Best smile.
Best court IQ.
Best look in a UConn jersey.
Best skip pass.

Let's not let this summer end without a few dozen more of these boys - you can do it!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Kemba
Ben
Super Tone

Phil Nolan
Curtis Kelly

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Best crossover.

That's not even a discussion. Kemba. AJP did have one highly memorable effort though.

It's bad I could answer most of these definitively.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Curtis Kelly? He didn't finish until he got to K State.

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm. Out of all the kids that caught Calhoun's
Infamous " quick hook" over the years , I always felt Curtis Kelly got it the worse. The kid would consistantly do picture perfect , Pete Newell big man moves right under the basket , and the ball never!!!!!!! went in. He would then look at the basket and look at his hands as if both of them betrayed him . Calhoun would then immediately call a time out and walk half way on the court and yank him. Did he ever finish or make a lay-up?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm. Out of all the kids that kids that caught Calhoun's
Infamous " quick hook" over the years , I always felt Curtis Kelly got it the worse. The kid would consistantly do picture perfect , Pete Newell big man moves right under the basket , and the ball never!!!!!!! went in. He would then look at the basket and look at his hands as if both of them betrayed him . Calhoun would then immediately call a time out and walk half way on the court and yank him. Did he ever finish or make a lay-up?

Yup, my bad. And I agree, he wasn't getting that quick hook because of lack of effort.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Yup, my bad. And I agree, he wasn't getting that quick hook because of lack of effort.

He's the one Uconn kid I always felt sorry for.

Reaction Score
Does this count as a layup?

Thanks. I know they are highlights, but it does seem to certify Kemba belongs. Hope we say the same about Bazz in a couple of years.

caw

Reaction Score

Best crossover.
Best baseline jumper.
Best non-dominant hand.
Best charge taker.
Best vocal bench supporter.
Best form entering game.
Best post-dunk camera celebration.
Best team celebration.
Best off balance shot.
Best hair do.
Best smile.
Best court IQ.
Best look in a UConn jersey.
Best skip pass.

Let's not let this summer end without a few dozen more of these boys - you can do it!

I'd also nominate:

Best screener
Best at boxing out
Best at taking a Calhoun rant (on court category)
Best at causing a Calhoun rant (on court category)
Best off ball defender
Best at interacting with refs
Best at throwing the head back to get a call
Best Christian Laettner head bash
Best at cheating during the Husky run

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb also made finishing look effortless. He seemed to never miss a floater or a layup whenever he got to the rim. He just wasn't great at taking guys off the dribble to take guys to the basket for lay ups.

Reaction Score
caw said:
I'd also nominate: Best screener Best at boxing out Best at taking a Calhoun rant (on court category) Best at causing a Calhoun rant (on court category) Best off ball defender Best at interacting with refs Best at throwing the head back to get a call Best Christian Laettner head bash Best at cheating during the Husky run

Jake (screen master)
Adrien (Jake was good too)
Austrie (yanked 20 seconds into college career)
Sticks (JC saw so much potential)
Nadav (Ricky was good off ball too)
Anyone but Donny (sarcastic clapping tech)
Kemba's signature (Napier tried, but master > pupil)
Too many quality Laettner head bashes to pick out one (in a perfect world)
Khalid (I'm skeptical he finished without a scooter)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best player to average between 8-10 points a game for their career.

Best player to average between 15-20 minutes a game.

Best seventh man.

Best Elite 8 team.

etc, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
I might get killed for this, but Dyson. During his junior season he was a particularly great finisher.

Reaction Score
No question. Al Weston. I don't think he ever missed one.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I might get killed for this, but Dyson. During his junior season he was a particularly great finisher.

Yes indeed. I intentionally left out Dyson because I didn't want people to realize I answer Dyson , Super Tone and Selvie to most questions. He was lethal that year until he got hurt.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He's the one Uconn kid I always felt sorry for.
I feel sorry for Kelly now, he's had some terrible luck come his way. I didn't feel sorry for him at UConn because I felt he was a detriment to the team. He was frequently irresponsible and during the game he used to bully Ben Eaves on the bench. Mind you this was on national television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom