Best place to eat in Denver? | The Boneyard

Best place to eat in Denver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Returning to the scene of the crime, but this time on my company's dime - so I can splurge.

Reaction Score
If you are into smoked and BBQ stuff, like briskets, ribs, grilled salmon, smoked chicken, etc..try Russell's Smoked house. It is located in downtown, not too far from the convention center and it is supposed to be one of the best BBQ place in the US.

Reaction Score
It has been years since I have been to Denver, so there is little help that can be provided. But Denver is home to a heckuva/legendary person named "Daddy" Bruce Randolph who used his BBQ restaurant not far from the old Stapleton Airport on a street bearing his name to give away free Thanksgiving dinners. It started out modestly, but as the fame and popularity grew, people started donating food and their time to help with an effort that gained increasing enormity. A fantastic guy, Daddy Bruce greeted all of his customers with genuine warmth. When I was last there in 1988, he took me and a friend around the entire restaurant and to his smokers out back. He shared with me that there was really no secret to his smoking method, that any hardwood would work, but that he preferred hickory and apple.
At some point in the 80's, might have been 1987, the state of Colorado closed Daddy Bruce's restaurant because of delinquent taxes. Within days, the community raised the money to pay off his taxes so that he could reopen his restaurant and continue on with his Thanksgiving tradition.

If Daddy Bruce's is still open in some form or another, that would be my restaurant of choice in Denver.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Jack and Grill. They specialize in New Mexico style Mexican (best green chili in Denver). They also have a variety of burgers that are HUGE. I've never eaten one in a single sitting. The enchiladas are stacked instead of rolled. Everything is incredible.

For a different style of Mexican check out La Loma.

Racine's is also very good and offers a great ambiance with a variety of dishes that allows everyone to find something on the menu.

For breakfast, Snooze is a MUST. Don't go to Denver without going there. For a greasy spoon breakfast go to Pete's Kitchen at Colfax and Race. It's a Drnver landmark.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One other: Duo in the Highlands, just outside of downtown. Great chefs and the owners are there working most of the time. Excellent seasonal cuisine and killer pomegranate martinia.

Also a great burger place just down the street named Highland Tap and Burger. Great for watching sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When we were in Denver last Fall, we had very good meals @ Rioja and Zengo (the latter had a $5 mojito night, with lots of variety, as a special bonus).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Last time I was in Colorado I was so dumb I had to ask our lovely young waitress "What in the hell are those 'Rocky Mountain Oysters' I see on the menu?"

She never batted an eye to explain.

Avoid my gaffe by doing a little research in advance.;)

Reaction Score
The Fort in Morrison (SW Denver) if you want to try buffalo meat or game. The place has character, and they do an outstanding job with the food. Not for vegetarians. Don't skip the appetizers - stuffed jalapeños and Rocky Mountain oysters. Famous Martinis served in mason jars.

http://thefort.com

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was there in 2011 to see the Red Sox play the Rockies (ballpark number 22).

Check out the websites for Diners, Drive-ins & Dives as well as Man vs. Food.

Denver is known for its green chili salsa: Flavorful, but mild.

Among other places, my wife and I went to Jack 'N Grill for breakfast. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food was really good and there was a lot of it. I couldn't get through the 1 lb. baby brother omelet that Adam Richman attempted (his was 5x larger). Too many home fries.

th

Here's it's behemoth sibling:
th

The owner told us that it is ordered quite often (including the day we were there), but it is normally shared by 4, 5, or 6 people.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
thanks all! almost finished packing. will share results.. Maybe. :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last time I was in Colorado I was so dumb I had to ask our lovely young waitress "What in the hell are those 'Rocky Mountain Oysters' I see on the menu?"

She never batted an eye to explain.

Avoid my gaffe by doing a little research in advance.;)

I even got my wife to eat them - after a couple of pre dinner cocktails. IMO nuthin' special. However, if you are a carnivore The Fort is a pretty good place to eat meat.

TJI - If you find yourself in the mood for some deep fried bull berries you don't have to travel all the way out to The Fort. The Buckhorn Exchange is a Denver institution and they have them on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom