OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I went to the Joe Pizza one in Simsbury and it was excellent pie. I didn't have any exotics like you, but the pie was really really good. Very underrated.
Wasn't Joe Pizza the original? The tomato pie without mozz is terrific.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I always thought Joey Garlics was the originals, but I'm not sure. And yes the tomato pie is fantastic. If you live in Northern/Northeastern CT, Joe Pizza should be at the top of your local list.

Reaction Score
I always thought Joey Garlics was the originals, but I'm not sure. And yes the tomato pie is fantastic. If you live in Northern/Northeastern CT, Joe Pizza should be at the top of your local list.

What used to be an underrated pie was Berkshire Pub in Torrington…….changing of the guard has brought inconsistencies there and I haven't been there for a while but it was very good and their salads were killer also with ham, salami and cheese and a solid home made dressing…….

Reaction Score
I think he's gotta be trolling . Pizza cut in squares makes me chuckle.

Ha! I'm not trolling. It's all a matter of taste. I've had Pepe's etc but much prefer the pizza made in pans---not the thick Chicago style-- but CT or MA style. BTW, none of the Greek style pizza I favor is ever cut into squares. Just like the old mustard v ketchup on a hot dog (mustard by a mile)----or---ice cream in a cone or a cup (sugar cone), that's why (no pun intended) they make chocolate and vanilla.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Ha! I'm not trolling. It's all a matter of taste. I've had Pepe's etc but much prefer the pizza made in pans---not the thick Chicago style-- but CT or MA style. BTW, none of the Greek style pizza I favor is ever cut into squares. Just like the old mus v ketchup on a hot dog (mus by a mile)----or---ice cream in a cone or a cup (sugar cone), that's why (no pun intended) they make chocolate and vanilla.
:). Certainly taste is subjective which is why I enjoy these threads. Makes me want to try different places. Everyone has their favorites.....

...... But there is pretty much only 2 things in this world that people from outside of Connecticut envy and is acknowledged as the best:
1) our basketball program
2) our pizza

In regards to number 2 that reputation wasn't built on an eastern CT Greek pizza place :)

The daily meal which has the most reputable food lists in America did a top 101 pizza places in the country list recently.
New haven pies took number 1 ( pepes) number 7 ( Sally's ) and number 11 ( modern) .

That's just insane for a small city in any list.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/23759145/pepes-white-clam-pizza-named-number-1-in-country

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in New England for a long time, but I was driving from Manhattan to Springfield a few weeks ago and I stopped in New Haven to go to Pepe's, didn't feel like dealing with the line, and grabbed a pizza from Sally's instead. Had never been. Good lord it was terrible. I'm not plugged into the CT pizza scene but are there people who will go to bat for Sally's?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I haven't lived in New England for a long time, but I was driving from Manhattan to Springfield a few weeks ago and I stopped in New Haven to go to Pepe's, didn't feel like dealing with the line, and grabbed a pizza from Sally's instead. Had never been. Good lord it was terrible. I'm not plugged into the CT pizza scene but are there people who will go to bat for Sally's?

Sounds like you may have caught them on a bad day, I guess? I prefer Pepe's, but Sally's is usually very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't been there in at least ten years, but by all accounts they have slipped precipitously in recent years. I can tell you from driving up Wooster regularly to get on the highway that I haven't seen a line there in years, and there is almost always a line at Pepe's. On Good Friday there was no line, and Pepe's was down the block. I could see as I drove by that Sally's wasn't even full inside. I have also heard from others who know better than I do that they haven't kept up the place at all, and that cleanliness in particular is a concern.

Reaction Score
I haven't been there in at least ten years, but by all accounts they have slipped precipitously in recent years. I can tell you from driving up Wooster regularly to get on the highway that I haven't seen a line there in years, and there is almost always a line at Pepe's. On Good Friday there was no line, and Pepe's was down the block. I could see as I drove by that Sally's wasn't even full inside. I have also heard from others who know better than I do that they haven't kept up the place at all, and that cleanliness in particular is a concern.

This was a Friday night, there was a line at Pepe's and Sally's was probably 1/4 full. It took me 5 minutes to get someone's attention to order and, yes, the place was not particularly clean. I was pretty surprised it gets as much love as it does. I wouldn't go back.

Reaction Score
This was a Friday night, there was a line at Pepe's and Sally's was probably 1/4 full. It took me 5 minutes to get someone's attention to order and, yes, the place was not particularly clean. I was pretty surprised it gets as much love as it does. I wouldn't go back.

Haven't been to Sally's in ages but back in the day it was really a toss up…………..

Reaction Score
When Rossini's was in PLainville/Farmington Rt 6 where Joey Garlic's is now, this was one of the best pies in the Greater Hartford area. Not so much now as Joey G's although not too bad at all.

I have never been to the Cheshire Rossini's is it still there and the same owner? Any good?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When Rossini's was in PLainville/Farmington Rt 6 where Joey Garlic's is now, this was one of the best pies in the Greater Hartford area. Not so much now as Joey G's although not too bad at all.

I have never been to the Cheshire Rossini's is it still there and the same owner? Any good?
Cheshire Rossini's is still there and its quality pie. I think its better than Mr. B's in Cheshire. But at that point, I would just drive the extra 15-20 to New Haven...

Reaction Score
Trinity: Pepe's, Sally's, Modern
Bar is great, just different.
Roseland in Derby
Tolli's East Haven
Papa's Apizza Milford
Jimmy's Apizza Milford
Zuppardi's West Haven
Colony Stamford/Milford
Grand Apizza: New Haven, Fair Haven Section

Actually, I like a lot of Pizza, but I have no tolerance for bad pizza.

Reaction Score

They were a spinoff from Newington from what ive heard. I remember them going in next to the Iron Frog or whatever it was called after the Newington store was already in full swing. Thants not to say the were not at another location prior that I was unaware of.....

Reaction Score
Ha! I'm not trolling. It's all a matter of taste. I've had Pepe's etc but much prefer the pizza made in pans---not the thick Chicago style-- but CT or MA style. BTW, none of the Greek style pizza I favor is ever cut into squares. Just like the old mus v ketchup on a hot dog (mus by a mile)----or---ice cream in a cone or a cup (sugar cone), that's why (no pun intended) they make chocolate and vanilla.
Jumped back in this thread just to see the latest and I have to admit, I never thought I would see Marblehead House of Pizza mentioned! Not a fan of this pizza as you can do better with Tony's, Vesuvius or Romano's Sicilian (Square Cut as all Sicilian Pizza should be but have a gallon of water near by). Yes a matter of taste and the Italian's beat the Greeks every time!

As an aside, none of these Marblehead joints should even be whispered about in this thread. When in CT, Pepe's. If you are a transplanted nutmegger like me, it's Santarpio's in Eastie.

Reaction Score
Gotta go local for this one,

What use to by G&G's Pizza in Norwalk, closed down in 08 reopened as a Pizza truck, but now is since George's Pizza House

Reaction Score
as far as little known ones go, how bout..
Luna's
DaVinci's
Joey Garlic's
Cucina's (Niantic)

I live very close to Stretches so i'll have to give that a shot..

Reaction Score

Best in Cheshire by a mile . . .

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rossini's in East Hampton. Pizzeria Da Vinci in Colbalt, Giovanni's in Glastonbury, and Fireside in Gales Ferry are all excellent. Pepe's has regressed since they started to expand.

Generally, I prefer fire ovens or the old school pizza ovens. Greek pizza is far to doughy for my tastes and Chicago style "pizza" is not a pizza. It's a casserole. Finally, I have no issue walking out of a "pizzeria" before ordering if I see a conveyor oven. If part of the pizza is a little crisper than others, it speaks to the character of the establishment.

All that said, it is true that pizza is like se><. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good and pizza of any sort is better than the "best" American Chinese food, which by my definition can only achieve the rank of average.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom