Best crop of freshman in a long time? | The Boneyard

Best crop of freshman in a long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone else noticing the incredible stats that some of the freshmen around the country are putting up?

Nina Davis, Mavunga, Allisha Gray, Reimer, and Lindsay Allen are all putting up AA caliber numbers. It's early in the season so some of these are based on weak schedules. But still the numbers are off the charts. I'm not just talking about points and rebounds, but more sophisticated things like Pts/FGA, A/TO, Stl/TO, Rebounds per minute, etc. That group is putting up some really special numbers.

I'd go so far as to say that on numbers alone the top 5 freshmen are better than the top 5 sophomores or the top 5 juniors. I didn't say the ARE better, but I would venture to say their numbers are better.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it is a combination of a some good players on some teams that lost a lot to graduation playing some pretty weak schedules. I also think the changed rules will help players make the transition from HS to college - the physical play that Stewart had problems with last year is not happening this year.
But for example ... Nina Davis plays for Baylor who started the year (up until KY) with a point differential of +45 averaging 100 ppg playing an incredibly weak schedule. While they lost to KY they still scored 130 points and then they have returned to their weak schedule until the conference play.
I would also say there seem to be a lot of schools that have decided not to play defense this year - better to stand aside than learn how to guard without fouling cause it is more fun to play than to be stuck on the bench with fouls.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about AA numbers, but the kids you list--plus some others--are impact players. I do think it's a very good group.

This year's seniors were impact players as frosh, particularly at the guard position: Odyssey Sims, Bria Hartley, Chelsea Gray, Maggie Lucas, Shoni Schimmel, Meighan Simmons. Plus Chiney at the forward slot.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Kaela Davis is putting together an excellent resume. This is a very deep freshman class. Mercedes' numbers may not be dazzling but she is around 9 points a game and had six blocks last outing. She is beginning to come into her own some. It will be interesting I see how she plays against Stanford. Also Jessica Jackson at Arkansas has been named SEC FOY twice if not more already.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Also Tyler Scaife has been a impact player for Rutgers. Very impress by her. She's going to be a star.

Reaction Score
Mavunga is a lot better than I was led to believe. Impressed with her play and with Kaela Davis'. Have not gotten to watch Scaife in college though she was VERY impressive in high school. The top freshmen as a whole - that sure includes Chong - are a great group to watch.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Don't forget Kaela Davis is putting together an excellent resume. This is a very deep freshman class. Mercedes' numbers may not be dazzling but she is around 9 points a game and had six blocks last outing. She is beginning to come into her own some. It will be interesting I see how she plays against Stanford. Also Jessica Jackson at Arkansas has been named SEC FOY twice if not more already.
It is VERY impressive when a player wins FOY two or more times. Most are lucky to win Freshman of the Week multiple times! But yes, Jackson is tearing it up!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It is a very good group of freshmen and a reason the difficulties with the 2013 recruiting class were a bit disheartening. Thankfully, Chong is a legitimate piece, and uconn adds as many as four more pieces thus far in 2014. I say "thus far" with the hope we get a certain prominent fifth piece.

Jim

Reaction Score
I think the reason you are seeing a lot of freshmen putting up big numbers is because UCONN had a recruiting class of one. Freshmen don't usually get to start at UCONN, and when they do the points/assists/rebounds/etc. get distributed amongst the other talented players. Highly regarded recruits going to other schools get to start, get more playing time, and get to fill up the stats sheet as their talent level is higher than the norm at their school of choice.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Anyone else noticing the incredible stats that some of the freshmen around the country are putting up?

Nina Davis, Mavunga, Allisha Gray, Reimer, and Lindsay Allen are all putting up AA caliber numbers. It's early in the season so some of these are based on weak schedules. But still the numbers are off the charts. I'm not just talking about points and rebounds, but more sophisticated things like Pts/FGA, A/TO, Stl/TO, Rebounds per minute, etc. That group is putting up some really special numbers.

I'd go so far as to say that on numbers alone the top 5 freshmen are better than the top 5 sophomores or the top 5 juniors. I didn't say the ARE better, but I would venture to say their numbers are better.

Davis - 16 ppg, 7 rpg
Mavunga - 14.3 ppg, 10.5 rpg
Reimer - 10.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 16 blocks
Allen - 8.7 ppg, 3.9 apg, 62% fg, 7-12 3's
Gray - 15.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 40% 3's

Great stats. One caveat - horrible schedules.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Certainly can't forget about Davis. Can you imagine this Tennessee team if she was there this year?

Russell had two nice games in her most recent outings, but when you are 6'6 and playing against two teams with 2 total players over 6' and they are 6'1, well, not that impressive. Especially when you look at the two previous games against real teams. I don't think she has been in the top 10 so far. But she will improve and has excellent potential.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Best crops of freshmen in a looooooong time:

Breanna Stewart and Maya Moore by themselves.

Reaction Score
So far most of these stats are being put up against talent-weak competition. And was DD's entire list ACC players? No DD? We will get a better idea of who's who when they start playing each other's teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best crops of freshmen in a looooooong time:

Breanna Stewart and Maya Moore by themselves.
One of them was BE FOW most weeks, BE POY, a consensus AA, and top 2 or 3 in NPOY voting. The best freshman ever, in my opinion. The rest of the class was not outstanding, but Maya alone makes the group special.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Davis - 16 ppg, 7 rpg
Mavunga - 14.3 ppg, 10.5 rpg
Reimer - 10.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 16 blocks
Allen - 8.7 ppg, 3.9 apg, 62% fg, 7-12 3's
Gray - 15.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 40% 3's

Great stats. One caveat - horrible schedules.
Notre Dame has not had a particularly tough schedule thus far, but you're over the top calling it horrible. Sagarin ranks Notre Dame's schedule 35th (and UConn's 40th), RPI ranks ND's SOS 16th (UConn's 10th), Massey had ND's SOS at 8th (UConn's 1st). Personally, I think UConn's schedule has been far more difficult than Notre Dame's thus far*, but you make it sound like ND's SOS is ridiculously weak, and it has not been.

(*Most SOS calculations undervalue games against top 10 opponents.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has not had a particularly tough schedule thus far, but you're over the top calling it horrible. Sagarin ranks Notre Dame's schedule 35th (and UConn's 40th), RPI ranks ND's SOS 16th (UConn's 10th), Massey had ND's SOS at 8th (UConn's 1st). Personally, I think UConn's schedule has been far more difficult than Notre Dame's thus far*, but you make it sound like ND's SOS is ridiculously weak, and it has not been.

(*Most SOS calculations undervalue games against top 10 opponents.)
Fair enough.

ND - Weak, 1 top 10 team (but a weak one), one decent team (DePaul), Michigan and Michigan St? UCLA? Names, but no talent. The rest? Crap.

UNC - Terrible. They played Tennessee, and now South Carolina. I'm not impressed with the SEC. The rest are REALLY bad.

Baylor - Horrible. Kentucky is top 10. The rest are really really really bad.

Overall, it's way too early to say these 5 players are having AA type seasons.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it is a combination of a some good players on some teams that lost a lot to graduation playing some pretty weak schedules. I also think the changed rules will help players make the transition from HS to college - the physical play that Stewart had problems with last year is not happening this year.
But for example ... Nina Davis plays for Baylor who started the year (up until KY) with a point differential of +45 averaging 100 ppg playing an incredibly weak schedule. While they lost to KY they still scored 130 points and then they have returned to their weak schedule until the conference play.
I would also say there seem to be a lot of schools that have decided not to play defense this year - better to stand aside than learn how to guard without fouling cause it is more fun to play than to be stuck on the bench with fouls.

And Davis put up 20 points and 11 rebounds against UK in 38 minutes. Both were above her season average against the weaker teams.She is shooting 72% from the field and 73% from the line. Say what you wish about the schedule, but those are FOY stats.

Reaction Score
UNC is looking really good and will only get better. DeSheilds is everything they said she would be, wish her luck but she should have come to UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UNC is looking really good and will only get better. DeSheilds is everything they said she would be, wish her luck but she should have come to UCONN.

I agree. I see so many similarities between her and Maya Moore.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And Davis put up 20 points and 11 rebounds against UK in 38 minutes. Both were above her season average against the weaker teams.She is shooting 72% from the field and 73% from the line. Say what you wish about the schedule, but those are FOY stats.
FOY stats? Sure.

Kentucky is overrated and weak in the post.

Reaction Score
Fair enough.

ND - Weak, 1 top 10 team (but a weak one), one decent team (DePaul), Michigan and Michigan St? UCLA? Names, but no talent. The rest? Crap.

UNC - Terrible. They played Tennessee, and now South Carolina. I'm not impressed with the SEC. The rest are REALLY bad.

Baylor - Horrible. Kentucky is top 10. The rest are really really really bad.

Overall, it's way too early to say these 5 players are having AA type seasons.
Of course DD. I was just observing that they are putting up AA stats thus far.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Kaela Davis is putting together an excellent resume.

Good point VolFan...at least the LV's have some tie into the discussion of most incredible stats by freshmen, although I think Mercedes Russell's 33% FT shooting is getting severely overlooked...this stat is incredible in my book!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree. I see so many similarities between her and Maya Moore.
Difference being I do not see any discipline being imposed on her - physically very gifted, but the little bit I have seen, she needs a strong coach and I am not sure she or the rest of the team will get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom