Berzinksas becomes fourth quarterback commit for 2012 season | The Boneyard

Berzinksas becomes fourth quarterback commit for 2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never thought that walk-ons were considered commits? Interesting.

Reaction Score
In any event, am I reading this wrong? 4 QB commits in 1 class at 1 school? Nothing like throwing !*@& against the wall and seeing what sticks, if that's the case.

Reaction Score
I think we are better off with Cochrane, a high honors kid, along with a juco who was 4 stars in Ill. HS vs a walk on from a questionable prep school.

Reaction Score
After Purdue had a commitment from Kyle Orton, they continued to recruit Dan Orlovsky. Perhaps, this explains the many Purdue QBs in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Also if you look at the position, it is often the most atletic kid on a high school team, the kid the coach wants with the ball in his hands on every play, so some college coaches recruit quarterbacks regularly knowing that they can move them to wide reciever, dback, sometimes running back...wasn't one of our dlinemen even a high school quarterback?

Reaction Score
If he wanted to stay home I am sure he could have walked on here just like he did at Purdue no?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If he wanted to stay home I am sure he could have walked on here just like he did at Purdue no?
Preferred walk-on is a bit different.. I mean you're on the team. If he doesn't have an offer at UConn, there's no guarantee he's even on the roster. He has to try out with the rest of the unwashed masses. ;) QB is such a different animal too.. I mean there really are a limited number of slots out there.

Reaction Score
Also if you look at the position, it is often the most atletic kid on a high school team, the kid the coach wants with the ball in his hands on every play, so some college coaches recruit quarterbacks regularly knowing that they can move them to wide reciever, dback, sometimes running back...wasn't one of our dlinemen even a high school quarterback?

You are correct. For example, Ryan Griffin was an outstanding High School Quarterback.

Reaction Score

Exactly...but he didnt...that must have some meaning?
Of course there are some rumors.

Geez, anti-tough crowd this year! If this was last year there would be 100 posts on keeping a home grown, 2 **, 6' 5" QB at home and not allowing him to join a Big 10 school - how times have changed.

Reaction Score
Exactly...but he didnt...that must have some meaning?
Of course there are some rumors.

Geez, anti-tough crowd this year! If this was last year there would be 100 posts on keeping a home grown, 2 **, 6' 5" QB at home and not allowing him to join a Big 10 school - how times have changed.

So what are the rumors? He chose to walk on at Purdue because UConn didn't offer him a scholly? UConn chose to offer Cochran and Whitmer at QB, hard to take three QBs in one class. There are other holes to fill.

Reaction Score
So what are the rumors? He chose to walk on at Purdue because UConn didn't offer him a scholly? UConn chose to offer Cochran and Whitmer at QB, hard to take three QBs in one class. There are other holes to fill.
We've got 3 quarterbacks on the roster who have seen time, a freshman coming, and a JUCO who has 3 years of eligibility. Doesn't shock me that we didn't try and recruit another one. Recruiting is about filling needs, not zipcodes.

Reaction Score

This is EXACTLY correct.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's too bad this kid didn't get to play for the school he wanted to play for, but neither do most kids. Frankly we had better options. Good luck at Purdue, kid. Go prove UConn wrong.

Reaction Score

Rumor has it he was offered preferred walkon status at UConn, last week, at the last moment, but he and his family didnt appreciate the way the staff handle the entire recruiting process...nor did some of the local High School coaches. UConn does/did want a 3rd QB - they called, they offered.

Time will tell on his abilities and whether UConn has better options at this time or not, but you cant use stars to determine how good a recruit is. Too many 2 star recruits end up in the NFL and too many 4 stars don't. I just thought the board was about keeping local talent at home - and filling needs - none of the recruits have filled any needs yet, and who knows if Whitmer or Cochran ever see the field in a UConn uniform. Right now they are all just warm bodies.

Agreed - Prove PP wrong Eric.

Reaction Score
[quote="#2, post: 131489, member: 1932"

I just thought the board was about keeping local talent at home[/quote]

The board is about UConn winning football games. As your motivation is clearly something else, I would suggest you have a nice life elsewhere.

Good luck to the young man. But if he really is taking preferred walk-on status at one school, and not another, because the other didn't offer him a scholly (when the first didn't either), he'll need the luck.

Reaction Score
The board is about UConn winning football games - really?

If that is true, shouldnt the board disbanded until we started winning games again?

I can find a 100 posts of yours that are NOT about winning football games.

There have been a 100 posts about keeping local talent at UConn - dont be a dork, if you can help it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i just don't get it, i really don't. why lately are all of these ct recruit threads turning into left field arguments and random fits. i think everyone needs to enjoy the fact that we are after local talent and just relax when some of them don't come for whatever reason under the son.

1)this is a uconn football board. just like most here i first and most of all want uconn to win and for us to be one hell of a gnikcvf program one day.

2) i care about the local talent just like several others do on here. so i post about them and talk alot about kids. thats fine imo and i think most on the board are ok with it. im not stupid about it though(at least i don't think i am). if a 4* kid wants to be the qb at uconn and hes from china or a local kid who would be a walkon then guess who i'm going to chose. the china kid. i know bad example but come on ppl, relax everyone. what this is actually a example of is something more important then what ppl realize.

3) PP is building a fence, or atleast trying to. how can i tell? PP did his qb searching for this years recruit class and he got 2 great 1's signed. hey what do you know, 1 of them was from ct and had 2 other offers. the end. then extremely late in the game a local kid gets a walk on offer from a b10 school(he had met with pp before and pp visited milford at on point to talk to him and tyler, they knew where they stood). usually thats not a big deal considering the whole situation. what does PP do? he then imediately offers the kid a walk on spot at uconn to at the very least counter and let the kid know that while he wasn't at the top of uconn list, if hes worthy of that spot at another bcs school, then hes worthy here. i for one am happy about that. this year everyone that left the state for another bcs school or temple had some type of offer from us. that shows me that hes commited to keep kids home or atleast putting that foot forward.

4) good luck to enrich. i posted it in the hs thread a couple days ago but no one agrued about it back then lol. i think everyone needs to calm down.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
If PissPoor is offering him a preferred walk on spot because Drew Brees' alma mater offered him one he should be fired immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
#2,
This is really a pretty strange discussion. The kid was offered preferred walkon status at Purdue, not designated the starter for the next four years, for heaven's sake. That means that the Purdue coach figured he is probably good enough to be a backup and its worth taking a shot if we don't need to spend a scholarship on him. Apparently UCONN felt the same way. I can get that the kid and his friends and family might be disappointed, but from UCONN's perspective, they think Whitmer and Cochran are better quarterbacks. And they aren't willing to spend a scholarship on someone they don,t think is worth it. Doesn't matter if he is from Connecticut or Kazikstan. They simply don't consider him a good enough prospect. The idea, which many people just don't seem to get, is that we want local players who meet our needs to stay home. We don't recruit a quarterback because he is from Connecticut. We recruit him because the staff thinks he has potential to be a high level D-1 quarterback. The first hurdle, though isn't his home zipcode. It is his ability. If the local high school coaches don't get that, by the way, they don't get that UCONN is no longer in the Yankee Conference.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Can't be a good sign if the local high school coaches are disappointed, if that is in fact true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01