Benji Wilson 30 for 30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benji Wilson 30 for 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
9.79 really makes you wonder about the US sprinters in the 80s. Especially Carl Lewis and Leroy Burell

Reaction Score
The Drazen Petrovic/Vlade Divac "30 for 30" was one of the best things I've watched on TV in a long time.
That one is excellent and thought provoking. My favorite is "The two Escobars". Maybe because I had pretty good knowledge of almost all of the other 30-for-30 stories they've done, but that one I only knew a couple of big picture things and nothing about the deep behind the scene unbelievable circumstance.

I simply remembered the Columbian soccer team and their player with long hair. I vaguely recall thinking they were overrated and being pleased that they lost. Didn't quite connect that team and the own goal. Had no idea of the backstory. Awesome telling and relatable bleak human circumstances.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A few thoughts. This was an excellent documentary. When a guy (Benji) who's skinny as a pipe cleaner steps up to you, you don't need to shoot him to defend yourself - this was not self-defense but a very bad choice by someone living by the rules of the street. Benji didn't die because he was shot as much as because he was poor and black from a crime ridden area and as a result his life wasn't valued by the city - a real tragedy. Finally, R. Kelly was a teammate. I wonder if he was peeing on girls back then? Where's Dave Chapelle when you need him?

Reaction Score
As a guy/fan who was following college hoops and recruiting at that time you certainly knew of Ben Wilson and the story of his shooting. But this was really incredible in the way his life and events were laid out. Seeing all the names thrown together from their HS days....Battle, Strickland, Anderson and so many others who you saw stay in the local universities also at that time (Illinois and DePaul)......just a tremendous story which tied together all the pieces we never really detailed back in those days. It was a tragedy which was really laid out for us to remember. Can't imagine how good Henson's team would have been if Benji was added!!!
Probably the best school at Illinois. Had fun watching this team play and Kendall Gill was on this team as well. I just looked at the roster for 88-89 and their whole team except 1 player was from Illinois. The lone player from outside of Illinois was, ironically, from CT.

Reaction Score
Every one I've seen has been great. They have them on my on demand (Comcast) and just today I watched "Miracle 3" which was about Georgia and their run during the 2008 SEC Tourney when a tornado hit the Georgia Dome. I vaguely remembered the story, but seeing how everything unfolded and that team playing two must win games on the same day is pretty incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom