Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Benedict Wants Meeting With Aresco On Remaining In AAC For Football

Reaction Score
No but if we get thrown out of the AAC I would think the exit fee would be negotiable, since the best part of the contract is football related and basketball held in low regard.

Benedict is a slimeball but in this case I hope it works.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have been consistent in calling out the Tulane and Tulsa additions as dilutive and even as leaches.

Aresco's turn wrong turns: i) should have stuck with a 10 team conference and ii) shouldn't have tried to steal our WBB.

I annoyed some (many) people when I killed the fanbase about not showing up at XL for the AAC tourney.

At the time I just didn’t get why they wouldn’t show up. I hated the AAC too but all session packages were from $45 - why wouldn’t you grab those and check out some games.

Two years ago when the AAC tourney was empty (Orlando?) I realized as Yogi would say there is just no there.. there. I think I was in Ft Myers and didn’t even consider finding my way there.

I’m not exactly approachable in person but I wore a UConn shirt to the Big East quarters this March. I swear two dozen people came up to me to say you need to come back.

I’m involved with strategy for a fairly big operation - UConn was playing a game they couldn’t win. They ignored their strengths and allowed their weaknesses to be exploited.

The last 5 years felt like New Coke: Terrible rebranding, pretending the football was an asset to be leveraged, ignoring the customers.

The football program is better off - the P5 wasn’t going to happen, they will lose less money, basketball fans will be more likely to embrace them... yeah it’s FIU instead of Memphis - BFD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I annoyed some (many) people when I killed the fanbase about not showing up at XL for the AAC tourney.

At the time I just didn’t get why they wouldn’t show up. I hated the AAC too but all session packages were from $45 - why wouldn’t you grab those and check out some games.

Two years ago when the AAC tourney was empty (Orlando?) I realized as Yogi would say there is just no there.. there. I think I was in Ft Myers and didn’t even consider finding my way there.

I’m not exactly approachable in person but I wore a UConn shirt to the Big East quarters this March. I swear two dozen people came up to me to say you need to come back.

I’m involved with strategy for a fairly big operation - UConn was playing a game they couldn’t win. They ignored their strengths and allowed their weaknesses to be exploited.

The last 5 years felt like New Coke: Terrible rebranding, pretending the football was an asset to be leveraged, ignoring the customers.

The football program is better off - the P5 wasn’t going to happen, they will lose less money, basketball fans will be more likely to embrace them... yeah it’s FIU instead of Memphis - BFD.

I'd like to see the FB schedule first, but this is generally correct. By putting their destiny in their own hands, UConn is already ahead on this deal. The AAC wasn't providing the value UConn needed to keep sending its student athletes all over the continent and playing MBB games at 9pm on a Thursday...at home.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd like to see the FB schedule first, but this is generally correct. By putting their destiny in their own hands, UConn is already ahead on this deal. The AAC wasn't providing the value UConn needed to keep sending its student athletes all over the continent and playing MBB games at 9pm on a Thursday...at home.

The only thing that matters are the dates and times. Nobody gives a hoot if it’s NMSU or Too Lane.

Reaction Score
Boise provides football brand recognition, but would increase travel for the conference and has a TV market ranking of 106 nationally, while Hartford/Springfield ranks 30th. That's higher than KC, Vegas, San Antonio, Cincy and many other perceived larger markets. TV markets drive the bus and that may allow the team to negotiate a way to stay in the American. But as only UConn fans know so often, decisions are often made around spite, turf and other issues.
Does the Hartford/Springfield market include New Haven?

Reaction Score
The only thing that matters are the dates and times. Nobody gives a hoot if it’s NMSU or Too Lane.
I am curious what the most profitable start time would be for SNY TV ratings and if it's the same for getting fans in their seats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am curious what the most profitable start time would be for SNY TV ratings and if it's the same for getting fans in their seats.

Well you’d play Sept and Oct around the Mets real and ‘hypothetical’ schedule.

They don’t care about ratings really - they care about being on Charter and Cox and Comcast.

Reaction Score
Well you’d play Sept and Oct around the Mets real and ‘hypothetical’ schedule.

They don’t care about ratings really - they care about being on Charter and Cox and Comcast.
I know a lot of people dont like them, but personally it'd be awesome if Saturday nights became the norm

Reaction Score

It is an understatement to say we have struggled in the AAC in football and men's basketball. When I would see a football game from other so called football hotbeds with most of the stadium empty (except UCF) it was laid out plainly to me that this league was not working. The men's basketball away games at mostly empty venues and then the ghost town league tourney games just hammered it home. Excellent teams, UCF vs Houston recently did not pack the house. It is not going to change. I hope we can come out better for this decision we made. It was slow slow death with the status quo.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This. We need to be intelligent about this and add a football home and away as a quid pro quo. We dropped the ball when Tennessee was hot to trot for a WBB game. We should have made a hard date at the Rent as a quid pro quo.

We had a home and home scheduled with Tennessee and they cancelled it. That was long before we scheduled the home and home for women's BB with them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Holy Cow what a cluster. That’s nice AD Dave, you would like to have a conversation. What a joke. Trying to figure out who was a bigger clown - Hathaway, Manuel, or Benedict. Incompetence at its finest.

He wants to sit down with Aresco. Is this real?
DB the db is a total idiot. I wouldn't let him negotiate terms on him buying another ugly freak'n suit
Yeah he might get us a sweetheart deal like the idiotic financial snafu that is the UConn NBE deal
This BoT, BoD, president and AD are the epitome of worthlessness
Ritter!!!!!!!!!! a washed up garbage politician - great get Susan and BoD/BoT
I love UConn and hate to see this great institution being taken to the cleaners
This school deserves better than what it has had for the last ten or so years

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't think Herbst is an idiot. She just didn't get sports, in particular conference realignment and what was at stake, as well as your average fan until it was too late. Remember her comment about putting kids on a bus to Ames maybe not being the best for student athletes? I knew then. She really needed to surround herself with knowledgeable sports person and at the time that went down, she had Pendergast acting as AD.

The other two, i think you may be on to something.

I agree with most of this, but two things I don't understand. The comment about Ames...did she make that during our dalliance with the Big 12? If so, was it a joke? We obviously wouldn't have been taking a bus from Storrs to Ames. If she was serious, then she's more whacked in the head than I already thought.

The other thing is the remark about "...at the time that went down...". If you're talking about that period when other teams were leaving the old Big East and she exchanged those mutually clueless e-mails with Pendergast, I get it. If you're talking about when Louisville got picked over us by the ACC, "Donuts" was our AD by then.

Reaction Score
May be football can stay in the AAC as long as UC still pays the $10m exit fee.
Pretty sure Cincinnati won’t be too inclined to pay UConn’s eventual negotiated exit fee, but perhaps they’ll follow the example down the road.

Reaction Score
How do you strike out on 3 Athletic Directors in a row?
Hah, Casteen, Hartley, Austin, and Hogan weren’t exactly all stars in the President’s office with respect to athletics leadership. Then, there was Susie ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom