Beer | Page 93 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I used to try to drink those types of IPAs within two weeks for maximum freshness, but the guy from Alchemist himself apparently recommends something like three weeks to three months for what he believes is the best taste. Pretty sure there's a video out there from him to that effect but I can't access now.
Yup, I saw the video on Youtube. He also recommends it drinking out of the can vs drinking it out of a tulip glass for maximum freshness, especially for the last 1/4 of the beer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I used to try to drink those types of IPAs within two weeks for maximum freshness, but the guy from Alchemist himself apparently recommends something like three weeks to three months for what he believes is the best taste. Pretty sure there's a video out there from him to that effect but I can't access now.

Here is the video. I think he says 10 weeks. Treehouse IPAs are never more than one day old when you buy them. They are actually better a couple of weeks later. They are a bit "green" at first. Trillium hoppy beers sell out in under two weeks on average. So they can hold for a bit too. Refrigeration is key. I find any of those, or Alchemist IPAs can hold for 2-3 months in the fridge easily, and even longer really.

Now, IPAs at the store, may be 2, 3, 4+ months old when you buy them. Those will have lost something already in many cases and will lose more soon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yup, I saw the video on Youtube. He also recommends it drinking out of the can vs drinking it out of a tulip glass for maximum freshness, especially for the last 1/4 of the beer.

he's full of crap on that part. It's much better from a proper glass. The can beats a shaker pint glass, but not a good IPA glass.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice, I did something similar and lost 20 pounds or so several years ago. I've eliminated weekday beer now in most cases, but it hasn't made a dent. I may need to take the next step. MyFitness pal is a great app and really shows you just how much it kills you to do a 3-4 beer football game party with chips and buffalo cheese dip (as I did last Sunday).

I wish there was an easy fix. My sleep Dr. is going to freaking kill me when he sees I'm probably up, not down, from last year.
Yeah, I think it was Fishy who posted elsewhere some time ago the maxim that "what gets measured gets managed," and seeing my caloric report card every day has definitely had a huge influence on my behavior.

I used to be able to lose weight pretty quickly, but all my old tricks stopped working. My new mantra has been "lose weight slow," by making simple lifestyle changes that I can live with, and which will continue to provide positive results. Bringing my lunch (i.e., stocking my fridge at work) instead of eating out most days has helped a lot, as has getting in more than 10,000 steps (or equivalent activity) one way or another at least five to six days a week.

Reaction Score
How long do you guys go before drinking a beer can rom Treehouse or Trillium or Alchemist, for example, that's been sitting in your fridge? Right now I've got the Triulliums and Treehouses that have been in my fridge for 3 weeks. At the same time, I don't watch the freshness to disappear on me.

This fresh thing is being pushed by several breweries recently--but not all of them agree.

Also, it depends on the kind of beer. Many yeasts are best months away. This is mainly true of certain Belgian ales.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Refrigeration is key. I find any of those, or Alchemist IPAs can hold for 2-3 months in the fridge easily, and even longer really.
Agree 100%. I was at a bottle share several months ago and I brought some wonderful rare beers that had been in my beer fridge for more than ten years, including an early 2000s Stille Nacht from De Dolle and some Cantillion Gueze of a similar vintage. I had confidence that those would still be very good, but the surprise of the night was a beer I brought as an extra to share as a novelty, 3 Floyds Dreadnaught IPA bomber that was around 12 years old. I figured it would be interesting to see if it had any life left, and it was still quite good, shockingly.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I was at a bottle share several months ago and I brought some wonderful rare beers that had been in my beer fridge for more than ten years, including an early 2000s Stille Nacht from De Dolle and some Cantillion Gueze of a similar vintage. I had confidence that those would still be very good, but the surprise of the night was a beer I brought as an extra to share as a novelty, 3 Floyds Dreadnaught IPA bomber that was around 12 years old. I figured it would be interesting to see if it had any life left, and it was still quite good, shockingly.
You have a beer fridge with 10+ year old beer in it? You sir, have just become my hero.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You have a beer fridge with 10+ year old beer in it? You sir, have just become my hero.
It's mostly a function of having a bunch of good friends who all became beer geeks around the same time, acquired a lot of ridiculously great beers and then consistently brought too many of them to gatherings at each others' houses. Back when life was simpler and our kids were very young, we used to host a lot of the gatherings, and I always ended up with an excess of great beers that people had left behind. My informal rule for a long time was to hold the bottle(s) until I could share them with whomever left them, but as we all get older the gatherings became fewer and farther between, so I decided that it was time to share them whenever I had the chance to do it with others who would appreciate them. I still have a few left to share...

Reaction Score
has anyone tried any beer from Other Half in Brooklyn? Outside of New England, I think this brewery might have the next best beer that's somewhat close to us.

Reaction Score
By the way I got my growler filled with Locust Reign tonight! I might have to purchase this special UConn growler at Bobs next time I go there!

NEBCo also had a special GBot made with mango puree, dry hopped with citra and amarillo to try today. Of course, it was fantastic
UCONN HUSKIES Frosted Growler

Curiouser
Reaction Score
has anyone tried any beer from Other Half in Brooklyn? Outside of New England, I think this brewery might have the next best beer that's somewhat close to us.
Yes. It is excellent. They used to have their IPA on tap regularly at Brooklyn Bowl, but not since the new ownership.

The same friend who brought me the Pliny and Blind Pig brought me two cans from Other Half and they are also waiting in my fridge.

Aaaand, I can happily report that I just shared two of the sours from Hermit Thrush with the guy in my office who brought them for me, and both were excellent. That's probably it for my beer intake tonight though, because, as much as I love them, the acidity of sours tears my stomach apart worse than the hop bombs do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How long do you guys go before drinking a beer can rom Treehouse or Trillium or Alchemist, for example, that's been sitting in your fridge? Right now I've got the Triulliums and Treehouses that have been in my fridge for 3 weeks. At the same time, I don't watch the freshness to disappear on me.
I'm sure they are pretty close to being spent. I can be right over to help you get rid of them. You know, for freshness' sake.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes. It is excellent. They used to have their IPA on tap regularly at Brooklyn Bowl, but not since the new ownership.

The same friend who brought me the Pliny and Blind Pig brought me two cans from Other Half and they are also waiting in my fridge.

Aaaand, I can happily report that I just shared two of the sours from Hermit Thrush with the guy in my office who brought them for me, and both were excellent. That's probably it for my beer intake tonight though, because, as much as I love them, the acidity of sours tears my stomach apart worse than the hop bombs do.
Ok, so I lied about the last beer for the night thing. Decided to crack the Other Half Stacks on Stacks Imperial IPA to go with my porchetta and broccoli rabe panini and it's very good. The friend who gave it to me was concerned that it might be too old, as he's had it for around two months, but it was still fine. Not optimal age, but still a top notch beer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I hear great things on BA. Singlecut is also NYC and makes some excellent IPAs, as does Grimm

Reaction Score
Just another Saturday....

Attachments

• IMG_6703.JPG
    IMG_6703.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 43
Reaction Score
Those of you who home brew, this is an interesting discussion about freshness. I make 110 beers when I home brew. They last a long time, several months. I am not going to drink 110 of my own beers in several weeks, especially since they mostly tend to be Belgian Ales and IPAs. I like variety.

Reaction Score
Can't post pics;

Other Half - Magic Rock
Against the Grain - Citra Ass Down

Hard time posting pics

Attachments

• IMG_6706.JPG
    IMG_6706.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 38

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online