BCS National Championship-no juice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BCS National Championship-no juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The thing about a rematch is that if the original loser wins...then it's a tie at 1-1. I just don't care about this game.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
The thing about a rematch is that if the original loser wins...then it's a tie at 1-1. I just don't care about this game.

LSU will win the AP championship if they lose. Can't do worse than a split.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
LSU couldn't play worse on offense if George Jefferson was at QB.

It's not aesthetically pleasing but I do think these are the two best teams in the FBS. Alabama's defense is just incredible.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
even tho it stinks not being in a bowl this year, things couldnt be going better imo. the clemson blow out really makes the acc the dog in the media. this game being so boring of a rematch makes the uconn-butler game look like a showtime thriller.

Reaction Score
Over 3 qtrs and LSU hasn't crossed midfield. Bama's D is sick.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Sadly, just don't care. In a sport where 67-75% of your games are against schools in your own conference (except for the BE) and there is no playoff, they need to have 2 different conferences play for the championship.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Had to be a close game for that to happen. LSU completely blew it.
I think so... so maybe we'll see if any voters outside of oklahoma give any votes for Okie State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
occupy the bcs! if your going to watch the game do it at a bar. less tvs on =s bad ratings. the bars will have it on no matter what.

If you aren't a 'Neilsen Family' then no one is tracking what you are watching. They don't really know how many people are watching something, they have a sample and they extrapolate it to the general population.

But good luck with your 'occupation'.

Reaction Score
This game reminds me of UConn-Butler. Ugly.

You mean the game in which UConn won the National Championship? I'm sure Alabama is thinking that game was beautiful. In the words of Jim Calhoun (after the Butler game) "we prefer to think of it as a defensive masterpiece".

Reaction Score
You mean the game in which UConn won the National Championship? I'm sure Alabama is thinking that game was beautiful. In the words of Jim Calhoun (after the Butler game) "we prefer to think of it as a defensive masterpiece".
But don't you hate defensem td?;)

Reaction Score
I'd love to see an NFL-style playoff. Give the top 2 teams a bye (the regular season matters!), next 4 play in bowl games.

Imagine how fun/awesome this would be:

1. LSU vs. winner of 4. Stanford vs. 5. Oregon
2. Alabama vs. winner of 3. Oklahoma State vs. 6. Arkansas

Winner of 1. vs. 2. plays in BCS Championship. You have the 4/5 and 3/6 games be tertiary bowls (Orange, Fiesta?), then 1/2 be the bigger ones (Sugar, Rose), then your BCS Championship.

What's the problem here?

Reaction Score
The comparison in game quality between UConn-Butler and LSU-Bama isn't really the issue. They were indeed both boring games for people who aren't total purists of each respective sport. The thing is, the basketball game was the determination of a tournament, a very, very exciting tournament no less. The football game was the questionable determination of secretive computer formulas, coaches secretaries, and random Harris Poll voters. So while most people probably knew going into both games that they'd be sluggish to watch, one was determined by players, the other by insiders and computers - and that's where the public has a problem. No one was enraged after the UConn-Butler game saying get rid of the NCAA tournament, it's wrong! Everyone today is saying get rid of the BCS. Last night's game drew the lowest TV rating for a BCS title game ever. And for those misinformed that BCS ratings kill NCAA tournament ratings, the 13.8 rating last night is functionally identical to the 13.3 rating UConn-Butler drew, both of which were down from their previous year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What brass bonanza said.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
The comparison in game quality between UConn-Butler and LSU-Bama isn't really the issue. They were indeed both boring games for people who aren't total purists of each respective sport. The thing is, the basketball game was the determination of a tournament, a very, very exciting tournament no less. The football game was the questionable determination of secretive computer formulas, coaches secretaries, and random Harris Poll voters. So while most people probably knew going into both games that they'd be sluggish to watch, one was determined by players, the other by insiders and computers - and that's where the public has a problem. No one was enraged after the UConn-Butler game saying get rid of the NCAA tournament, it's wrong! Everyone today is saying get rid of the BCS. Last night's game drew the lowest TV rating for a BCS title game ever. And for those misinformed that BCS ratings kill NCAA tournament ratings, the 13.8 rating last night is functionally identical to the 13.3 rating UConn-Butler drew, both of which were down from their previous year.

Holy cow, really? Basketball is as popular as football? (I may be reaching, but let me bask in the glory that is UConn basketball for a few...)

Reaction Score
Holy cow, really? Basketball is as popular as football? (I may be reaching, but let me bask in the glory that is UConn basketball for a few...)
Not that basketball is necessarily as popular, but from a TV perspective, pitting the two biggest events against each other, the basketball championship game is usually equal to or just behind the bcs championship game, with the NCAA tournament providing a greater overall total of valuable programming than the bowl season as a whole.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uh isn't that BCS game a cable rating and the NCAA Tourney a network rating? I'm pretty sure they don't mean the same thing unless that was corrected for the difference.

Reaction Score
Uh isn't that BCS game a cable rating and the NCAA Tourney a network rating? I'm pretty sure they don't mean the same thing unless that was corrected for the difference.
ESPN at this point is essentially broadcast, the difference in homes reached is virtually negligible. There's a reason they put this on ESPN and not rush it to ABC, they're not concerned about people who want to see the game or casual sports watchers not being able to see it because it's on ESPN and not ABC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN at this point is essentially broadcast, the difference in homes reached is virtually negligible. There's a reason they put this on ESPN and not rush it to ABC, they're not concerned about people who want to see the game or casual sports watchers not being able to see it because it's on ESPN and not ABC.

That wasn't my point. At one time a cable rating point and a network rating point represented different amounts of homes, I don't know if that is still true or not.

Reaction Score

There was absolutely nothing boring about UConn v Butler. It was tough, tough defense ( think of it along the lines of being the opposite of the NBA All Star Game that is simply a dunk showcase). Now that's boring ("look at me, I 6'11'' and can dunk. Wow let me Tweet that I'm getting me get another 'tat"). I absolutely agree with you, however, that the NC should be decided in tourney fashion (on the field) and not as it currently is.

Reaction Score
I actually did some research on this subject for something else. It is sort of hard to get real firm numbers on how many households have cable/satelite/U-verse-FIOS tv, but estimates range from a low of about 76% to a high of 90%. Providers can tell you how many connections they have but they don't or won't differenciate between say a busness connection (a bar or club for examble) and a home. this is esepecially true for the satelite providers...cable providers have better data. In any case, most analysts seem to put the number in the 85-88% range.

The fact that ESPN felt comfortable moving the supposed biggest game of the year in college football to a platform that isn't available to 10-15% of households, to me suggests that in fact college football is losing market share big time, and not just this year. The Auburn Oregon game dropped 11% from the previous season but at 15.29 it positively swamped this year's edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom