Bazz vs Kane. Shotcharts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
image170.png

image171.png

SOURCE

Reaction Score
He thrives off penetration. Most of his FG attempts are at the rack. Stop his drive.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So two schools of thought on how to read this:

1) ISU's offense its much more efficient at getting the defense off balance to get the shot they want where they want it, while bazz has to work extra hard to find open space on the floor.

Or.

2) Kane's game is rigid and depends on getting into the paint where Bazz is more free form and can beat you from any spot on the floor more or less.

Not sure which.

Reaction Score
As expected, Napier's shotchart is a thing of beauty. Looks steph curry/steve nash like with how prolific he is beyond the arc. as well as mid range. When you look at Kanes, its pretty obvious his corner three hotspot is due to niang/ejims post ability on the block. That wont be happening on friday.

Reaction Score
So two schools of thought on how to read this:

1) ISU's offense its much more efficient at getting the defense off balance to get the shot they want where they want it, while bazz has to work extra hard to find open space on the floor.

Or.

2) Kane's game is rigid and depends on getting into the paint where Bazz is more free form and can beat you from any spot on the floor more or less.

Not sure which.
Hoiberg HOISTED 2pt FG attempts out of his coaching book. wants no part of them. I read it as, don't over help because they will swing the ball and get great three point looks. If we run them off the line, its going to be hard for the likes of kane to create in the mid range. Brimah might need minutes in this game.

Reaction Score
We would need to play a matchup zone of sorts, though, to really allow Brimah to protect the rim, becuase they could put 5 guys out there who can shoot well, and then drag Brimah out of the paint.

Reaction Score
We would need to play a matchup zone of sorts, though, to really allow Brimah to protect the rim, becuase they could put 5 guys out there who can shoot well, and then drag Brimah out of the paint.
thats true. but Brimah could also jump hook to death whatever 6'6 guy is guarding him. Then hoibergs got to double team immediately.

Reaction Score
thats true. but Brimah could also jump hook to death whatever 6'6 guy is guarding him. Then hoibergs got to double team immediately.
If he could establish position. Their 6'6" guys are strong, and will but able to push him a bit since they have the lower center of gravity.

But that would be ideal. Punish them in the paint, make them adjust to us.

caw

Reaction Score
Hoiberg HOISTED 2pt FG attempts out of his coaching book. wants no part of them. I read it as, don't over help because they will swing the ball and get great three point looks. If we run them off the line, its going to be hard for the likes of kane to create in the mid range. Brimah might need minutes in this game.

Yep, threes or layups. It's not a bad strategy. They also do it very well.

Reaction Score

Just what I was thinking, the lack of mid-range attempts for Kane in comparison to Bazz is the most striking part about the graphic to me. Seems like Hoiberg has definitely made a concerted effort to eliminate the mid-range jumper from his offense - he wants everything from three or at the rim.

As caw says, it's a good strategy, but it also can play into the defenses hands when there is a less diverse shot pattern. 'Nova adopted a similar strategy against us - everything from three or at the rim, nothing from mid-range - and Ollie adapted to it seamlessly. Iowa State obviously has more offensive talent than 'Nova, so it poses a new challenge, but being familiar with Iowa State's offensive philosophy is an advantage and I'm guessing it will be reflected in UConn's game plan, especially in regards to how they'll defend the pick and roll. Napier and Boatright, I'm guessing, will go over the top of ball screens and retreat back to shooters, while Brimah will simply sag into the paint and try to stop Kane from blowing by him.

Reaction Score
As expected, Napier's shotchart is a thing of beauty. Looks steph curry/steve nash like with how prolific he is beyond the arc. as well as mid range. When you look at Kanes, its pretty obvious his corner three hotspot is due to niang/ejims post ability on the block. That wont be happening on friday.
Shabazz's chart is very unusual in that he shoots above average from the left side of the court and at average or slightly below from the right (except the corner 3). Only 21% from top of the arc is really surprising, I wonder if a lot of those are too early (no pass) and/or his shotclock bailout attempts.

Nash and Curry are almost in a different galaxy although I guess Shabazz's elliptical shape brings him to into their orbit on that left side.

Reaction Score
Shabazz's chart is very unusual in that he shoots above average from the left side of the court and at average or slightly below from the right (except the corner 3). Only 21% from top of the arc is really surprising, I wonder if a lot of those are too early (no pass) and/or his shotclock bailout attempts.

Nash and Curry are almost in a different galaxy although I guess Shabazz's elliptical shape brings him to into their orbit on that left side.
Do you get i'm not comparing them as talents, but their respective shot charts? Napiers heat/volume at around the elbow spots from trey are indicative of that.

Reaction Score
Do you get i'm not comparing them as talents, but their respective shot charts? Napiers heat/volume at around the elbow spots from trey are indicative of that.
I understand you aren't saying Shabazz is either, and was clarifying that the chart seems to show him shooting like those guys in certain areas only. That's what is amazing about those two is PG and SGs simply don't shoot over 50% or over 40% from 3 with high volumes. So comparisons to those two are always going to fall short as they are the very best of the best.

Reaction Score
Napier probably has eight or ten shots form the top of the key just before halftime. he didn't make a high percentage of those.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that Hoiberg has basically said he doesn't care about the mid-range game. Obviously it applies to his offense (Kane has no mid-range shots), but does it also apply to his defense? Is he willing to give Bazz his share of mid-range and long 2's?

It's also interesting that Bazz is a lot better from the left side than the right. I wonder if that's something we try to take advantage of, or the other team might try to take away.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we can feed the ball down low to Brimah and DD all game. They don't have the height and are missing 240lbs in Niang.

Reaction Score
It's also interesting that Bazz is a lot better from the left side than the right. I wonder if that's something we try to take advantage of, or the other team might try to take away.
See, one reason I would have preferred to be playing UNC, is because Roy might still have been game planning for Kemba...or at the very least, incorporated Lamb, AO, Drummond, and Roscoe into his preparation.

Reaction Score
Why?

Reaction Score
My biggest fear but hen again ISU has had to do this all season

Reaction Score
Why?
Wishful thinking. He's assuming KO will be able to stop that sort of thing. He may, but it's not because our team has been particularly awesome at stopping corner 3s. Penetration makes corner 3s. You learn to stop those without giving up layups, and you'll make millions in the NBA.

Reaction Score
My biggest fear but hen again ISU has had to do this all season
Brimah has been able to do this before.

If he stays out of foul trouble, he can score. He's just inconsistent. He's hit 20 in a game, and had 14 against Louisville. But we don't make our game-plan around that, and other than exploiting it when advantageous, I don't think Brimah is ready to be the focal point of the offense. We go all in on that, and I'll be a little worried.

Reaction Score
Bazz stay on the left side and keep firing away!!
Yeah what's that all about? It looks so obvious from the chart that he prefers the left side of the basket. But he ain't bad from the left shooting 3s.

I also wonder if all those stats mean anything (game planning, offensive sets, etc.) and have value, or is it just for shiiits and giggles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom