Bazz - Great read...... | The Boneyard

Bazz - Great read......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
what a fantastic article... makes you appreciate Bazz on a whole other level

Reaction Score
Wow what a read! It explains the unselfishness/confidence he has.

Bazz should not be playing basketball, from that article he is bigger than that. Not sure what he should/could be doing, but this kid is a star off the court more than on the court. I know it sounds cliche' but he could make a difference in the community, state, country and the world. He's that talented, mature and most important giving.

He's always been one of my favorites but now he just might be my numero uno.

Thanks Mau.

Reaction Score

Bazz should not be playing basketball, from that article he is bigger than that. Not sure what he should/could be doing, but this kid is a star off the court more than on the court. I know it sounds cliche' but he could make a difference in the community, state, country and the world. He that talented, mature and most important giving.

Thanks Mau.

As Irizzary (his educator/professor) said it best....
“I think his greatest contributions will be off the basketball court,” Irizarry said. Not to say he won't have a good basketball career but I agree with Kita as eventually he will parlay that into impacting his community and so many others. The fact he is so caring about everyone "in the room" with him and he goes to watch ALL sports on the campus shows how he has matured into a love for the campus community with is stardom. Must say we've had some great one's here but not sure how many were THAT involved. Just a truly remarkable turn around for a kid who seemed unsure early on as a player.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We're so damn lucky to have this kid on the team. Will root even harder for him to succeed this year, if that's possible.

Reaction Score
Great article! What a special kid. His mother must be so proud of him. After watching him cheer like a madman for the walk-ons against Concordia, I can see him going crazy at other UCONN sporting events. He's sure making the most of his student/athlete experience.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Great article. I loved Shabazz before but after reading this I have a whole new appreciation. Definitely one of my favorites of all time.

I think in 2011-12 he tried to take control and his teammates just did not respond to him. As the season got more frustrating he called them out because he probably didn't know what else to do. I am glad he got through that tough time to become the player and person he is today.

This is what College Basketball is all about.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is the type of player that makes you want to just sit back and enjoy watching him for one more season. The last time I had a similar feeling was Kemba in 2011. You know he'll be gone after season's end, but you're damn glad you get to watch for 30-40 more of his games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-ss-uconn-men-napier-20131106,0,3750457.story

What a long way this young man has come in 3 plus years at Storrs. He is someone we as fans can be very very proud of. Hope he gets his wish and fulfills his "dream" because I'm not sure there is anyone more deserving.

Think back to how the recruiting dominoes fell on this one and look how this turned out!! Thank God for this guy falling into our lap.......
Sad thing is SN will always take the rap for the 2012 season!

His only "transgression" was publicly airing the attitude problems with the team. He wasn't wrong about the team, just the process. I understand that we are conditioned not to air things publicly. This is a family, tribal (maybe genetic) process. It does have advantages in that the world will attack any weakness, therefore exposing internal weakness can be pounced on. But it is also detrimental allowing for physical and mental abuse to run rampant that otherwise might be stopped early in the process. If anyone doesn't accept my contention than explain why families or institutions don't frequently report incidences of abuse!

SN was silenced in expressing his public frustration. I agree with those who feel that airing dirty laundry going on amongst the 2012 team wasn't going to accomplish the desired result. In our viewpoint that turned out to be the case. But hindsight is always better than foresight. Things didn't change because the guys with the attitude problem weren't able to recognize their contributions to team failure. Personally I don't fault Shabazz for trying. When he recognized public embarrassment wasn't going to change the attitude of his team mates, and worse, when he recognized that it only resulted in a negative reaction directed towards him, he pulled back.

Everything in this article points to a kid who thinks and acts outside the box. He is not vindictive or destructive. The opposite is the case. He is helpful and supportive. Read between the lines. Understand the character of people. There wasn't a maturation that took place in the last two seasons. SN demonstrated this leadership in high school. It didn't develop over the last two seasons.

JC aired things about players publicly. SN idolized JC. It's a no brainer why he chose to do something similarly. His mistake was misjudging his "place" in the so called hierarchy of a college bb team. IMO the kid oozes with an amazing amount of character and insight regarding what makes a better society. I would argue that our conception of who has earned the right to speak out needs to be reevaluated with regards to Bazz. Our perception could be the problem.

I will argue that last year does not turn out as positively if a certain player did not transfer. If he chose to remain I believe Bazz would have left. And last season would have been a disaster. Last season was critically important for UConn's future! It is the thread by which so much is at stake, not only for men's basketball and the legacy of the program, but for the universities future direction in athletics.

I'm a big KO fan! I started the "Ten Toes In" thread. That hasn't changed. KO deserves all the credit he is getting. But I would argue that SN may have been, and will be, just as pivitol to a positive UConn future.

Reaction Score
Good post fleudy, no water balloons for BLUEDOG today!

I will say I never looked at any of his "quotes" and public rants during that season as anything other than a kid who cared more than a chosen one or 2 others!! Always felt that his words were from the heart and the passion to win as a team while others only cared about themselves, their father and the NBA........

Reaction Score
Good post fleudy, no water balloons for BLUEDOG today!

I will say I never looked at any of his "quotes" and public rants during that season as anything other than a kid who cared more than a chosen one or 2 others!! Always felt that his words were from the heart and the passion to win as a team while others only cared about themselves, their father and the NBA........

Quite simply Mau I think it was just immaturity. A normal 'kid' that didn't think before he spoke, more directly not weighing the consequences. Sorta like an emotional mistake.

I think he's learned from it and continues to learn (like us all) as it ain't easy to fix. Sadly however many never learn.

I personally haven't mastered it yet, and my wife is in grade school.

Reaction Score
Quite simply Mau I think it was just immaturity. A normal 'kid' that didn't think before he spoke, more directly not weighing the consequences. Sorta like an emotional mistake.

I think he's learned from it and continues to learn (like us all) as it ain't easy to fix. Sadly however many never learn.

Too bad for you Kita......

I've mastered it and even beyond as you can tell by the way I am able to hold back my passion on all of posts!:oops:

Reaction Score
That really was one of the better/insiteful articles I've read in a while. If I could root any harder for a kid this makes me want to, I think we have a special season on the horizon.

Reaction Score
Sad thing is SN will always take the rap for the 2012 season!

His only "transgression" was publicly airing the attitude problems with the team. He wasn't wrong about the team, just the process. I understand that we are conditioned not to air things publicly. This is a family, tribal (maybe genetic) process. It does have advantages in that the world will attack any weakness, therefore exposing internal weakness can be pounced on. But it is also detrimental allowing for physical and mental abuse to run rampant that otherwise might be stopped early in the process. If anyone doesn't accept my contention than explain why families or institutions don't frequently report incidences of abuse!

SN was silenced in expressing his public frustration. I agree with those who feel that airing dirty laundry going on amongst the 2012 team wasn't going to accomplish the desired result. In our viewpoint that turned out to be the case. But hindsight is always better than foresight. Things didn't change because the guys with the attitude problem weren't able to recognize their contributions to team failure. Personally I don't fault Shabazz for trying. When he recognized public embarrassment wasn't going to change the attitude of his team mates, and worse, when he recognized that it only resulted in a negative reaction directed towards him, he pulled back.

Everything in this article points to a kid who thinks and acts outside the box. He is not vindictive or destructive. The opposite is the case. He is helpful and supportive. Read between the lines. Understand the character of people. There wasn't a maturation that took place in the last two seasons. SN demonstrated this leadership in high school. It didn't develop over the last two seasons.

JC aired things about players publicly. SN idolized JC. It's a no brainer why he chose to do something similarly. His mistake was misjudging his "place" in the so called hierarchy of a college bb team. IMO the kid oozes with an amazing amount of character and insight regarding what makes a better society. I would argue that our conception of who has earned the right to speak out needs to be reevaluated with regards to Bazz. Our perception could be the problem.

I will argue that last year does not turn out as positively if a certain player did not transfer. If he chose to remain I believe Bazz would have left. And last season would have been a disaster. Last season was critically important for UConn's future! It is the thread by which so much is at stake, not only for men's basketball and the legacy of the program, but for the universities future direction in athletics.
This is an aspect of last year success that is overlooked.
Too many on this board are so blinded by the incredible past success. Unfortunately for us many viewed them a JC success.
History is littered with programs who took a dive at the end of a legendary career. We were viewed by many in that category.
The mass defection of players, impending sanctions, a coach with a six month contract"and the breakup of our baketball world only increasted the predictions of doom.
In this turmoil a little humble kid from Mass, a small but cocky kid from Chicago and an heretofore unchiever from the west coast all in demand elsewhere decided to stay.
Earlly success ensured the long term coaching stability we needed badly. UConn legecy remained intact and we stand poised to return to the summit.
In the words of Winston Churchill regardind the RAF in the battle of Briton " Never have so many owed so much to so few"
This applies to the SN, RB, DD, OC, and everyone else who played a roll. But it all started with SN.
I

I'm a big KO fan! I started the "Ten Toes In" thread. That hasn't changed. KO deserves all the credit he is getting. But I would argue that SN may have been, and will be, just as pivitol to a positive UConn future.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

In this respect I do support your definition of immaturity. But I'll qualify it. Every group has a set of conditions it expects individuals within that group to follow! In Bazz's case he wasn't worldly enough to understand that, in the culture surrounding college athletics, speaking your mind in certain ways is culturally unacceptable. He just had to learn how things worked before making the change. I don't get the impression he is a rash individual. I would gather he weighed what he was going to say before saying it and never expected to get the reaction he got.

Not anticipating something isn't necessarily rash or immature. The only experience he could draw upon was a certain rash coach whom he admired. When JC stated he passes Bazz and puts his finger to his mouth to visually express caution to Bazz he's basically advising Bazz to do something he was incapable of mastering. And Bazz succeeded. Immaturity isn't about making mistakes. It's about learning from mistakes and making changes to improve ourselves. Bazz is an amazingly mature person.

He came to the program with a "cocky" attitude. But again I would chalk this up to someone who wasn't exposed to situations that frowned upon this persona. His environment required this attitude to allow him to survive in that environment and to escape it. Those of us fortunate enough to not have grown up in Bazz's environment and judge this kid's behavior as being wrong, would most likely not survive very long in his neighborhood. And if we did we would understand why he needed this persona. IMO this kid is a fantastic learner and his changes aren't superficial or deceitful.

Bazz is anything but normal! Certainly his mother was an important contributor in his development, but there is something unusually special about Bazz that makes him who he is. Most normal kids learn to follow leadership or tune out or rebel. Very few normal kids can work within the system of society and learn to compromise their behavior without compromising themselves. Bazz is one of these lucky few. He's done it in two completely different environments. And that's what makes him a fantastic individual, a fantastic team leader and the potential to be a fantastic leader in whatever endeavor he chooses outside of basketball.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Outstanding article. I was amazed it was from Amore. Gotta give credit where it's due, despite his weak blog.

I thought I couldn't be more excited for this year... then I read this:

“I used to walk through Gampel, and if he was shooting, he'd stop and wave and yell ‘Mama-doo!!!!'” Diouf said. “Now he is all business when he is in the gym. Focused. He says to me, ‘I came back to win. I didn't come back just to play.' Shabazz is all about winning.

LETS !NG GOOOOO!!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
One more thing about Bazz. The worst thing that happened to Bazz in his college experience was the retirement of JC and the manner that JC departed regarding Bazz.

Bazz certainly was hurt when JC opted to retire. He stated as much. But that experience, and the choices Bazz made following that experience, makes me believe that the situation, in the end, was most likely more beneficial to Bazz than the hurt was detrimental. With JC's departure Bazz came to understand how wonderful he was without his inspirational coach and father figure. In other words he learned to identify his own contributions to the team without contributing his personal successes to his idol. Many kids would have struggled with JC's actions and felt betrayed. Some for the first time. In Bazz's case, this was a repeat of his childhood since his biological dad wasn't in his life.

Bazz was definitely hurt. And most people with feelings would have felt the same way. But Bazz and JC have reconciled and Bazz has move forward in his approach to life keeping the friendship alive. The opposite took place with the guy who headed to Mizzou!

Reaction Score

Bazz should not be playing basketball, from that article he is bigger than that. Not sure what he should/could be doing, but this kid is a star off the court more than on the court. I know it sounds cliche' but he could make a difference in the community, state, country and the world. He's that talented, mature and most important giving.

Thanks Mau.

I can definitely see this kid in a suit on the sidelines of some mid-major in 10 years, making a cinderella run in the big dance.

So glad I read this story, because I didn't know what a great guy Shabazz is, sounds like he's cut in the Kemba mold, which is not a bad thing to become a 'thing' in Storrs

Reaction Score
Kemba had to be our greatest leader ever to wear a UCONN uni- Bazz is right up there with my all tile favorites. What I love about Bazz is that he personifies everything we want our program to be about moving forward- he leads by example and is an exceptional young man.

I have this feeling the days of talented players with attitude problems are over- KO has a great vision (so far) for choosing the right players.

Reaction Score
I can definitely see this kid in a suit on the sidelines of some mid-major in 10 years, making a cinderella run in the big dance.

You're selling him short. He's playing basketball in 10 years. He could be a journeyman like KO or he could be a team leader like Kemba. But, I'm not betting against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom