Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game shouldve never been called like it was called but it was and some how UConn got through it. Liv and Edwards on the bench most of the game, no calls on Baylor and a 19-0 run by UConn and you know what... all we hear is "IF" "IF" "IF". If Baylor didnt have the injury UConn may not have been on a 19-0 run and "IF" they called the foul at the end of the game. Well they werent calling foul during the game like they shouldve so why expect it at the end of the game. Bottom line there was an injury and UConn with their 2 bigs sitting most of the game and getting hacked and killed during the game managed to pull off an 19-0 run to win the game. Yeah its tuff loosing on a controversial call but look at the TAM games. Remember the Miss ST game a few years ago with the no call on Saniya driving the lane. Yeah at the end of the game the refs dont make to many foul calls. I would really like to see someone make a video of all the hacks not called. The one on Paige late in the game driving to the basket and the one on Christyn making the layup were so obvious with no one around. Please stop saying "IF". UConn found a way to win in the end. UConn show resilience, gut, fight and the virtue to never give up. When Baylor got the injury they were lost and that wasnt the refs fault or UConns fault.
Liv and Edwards played 29 and 26 minutes respectively. While they didn't play the full 40 like our guards, they were out there most of the game. Aubrey played the other 25 minutes. Out of our front court we got a grand total of 9 pts, 10 blocks, and 10 fouls committed.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. Terrible officiating all the way through. No consistency at all.
I recall Rebecca Lobo saying at one point something like the officials let them know early on they were going to let them play! Huh? Call the game with the same RULES in mind for both teams. "Letting them play" is making the players wonder if what they do will be acceptable this time or not and ruins the flow, in my opinion.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Didi went down Baylor was lost. No leadership no one took charge for Baylor. UConn went on a 19-0 run against a very good Baylor team. UConn earned the win. How many teams have gone on a run like that against Baylor? Alot happened during the game and alot happened that probably shouldnt have happened but in the end Carrington had the ball and not pick no screen she was left to do it on her own and as great as she played the entire game there was no team effort. Her team mates just watched and waited. Alot can be learned by both teams in this game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I always check on VolNation and McGraw’s Bench to see other team’s fans take on UConn games. Much to my surprise, many LV fans took exactly the right position about the last play of the UConn-Baylor game. Essentially making the point that it was a physical game and there were lots of potential fouls that were not called on Baylor.

On the other hand, the usually rational Irish fans were generally apoplectic over the non-call. Oh well, I guess when your team doesn’t make it to the postseason, you got to do something to pass the time.

Reaction Score
Somehow the widespread focus on Richards' injury overlooks the fact that Nika missed all 40 minutes due to an injury.

Because they lost DiDi during the game. Kind of hard to prepare for that, unlike with Nika.

Reaction Score
Biggest cry baby in the nba and he got the benefit of a no call with the heat fouls on him that helped them win a ship .. as big and strong as he is he sure gets blown over by the wind easily
Or all the flopping he does!

Reaction Score
Baylor lost because UConn had 2 more points than they did. The closeness of the game has led to an uproar about a single call in another poorly officiated game. Hopefully next year and for the foreseeable future UConn will be back to winning every game by double digits so the losers won’t be able to moan about a single call costing them the game,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I always check on VolNation and McGraw’s Bench to see other team’s fans take on UConn games. Much to my surprise, many LV fans took exactly the right position about the last play of the UConn-Baylor game. Essentially making the point that it was a physical game and there were lots of potential fouls that were not called on Baylor.

On the other hand, the usually rational Irish fans were generally apoplectic over the non-call. Oh well, I guess when your team doesn’t make it to the postseason, you got to do something to pass the time.
As I noted elsewhere, McGraw's Bench has taken over the diatribe and it sounds really really yummy. I think TN is slowly headed in the right direction but not sure about ND and stealing Patterson under their nose maybe sent them tumbling over the edge.

Reaction Score
Watched that play over and over...I just don’t see it. The flop... That was legit defense. Even if I were a Baylor fan - that absolutely the correct call. If that happened to us - that looks correct. I’d hate to lose - but it (both defenders) look right (stood their ground properly without reaching in). Just my opinion...

That is sour grapes.

Everyone wants to dismantle the dynasty. I mean - we’re bad for wcbb - right? With help - UCONN can be replaced by South Carolina or Baylor or... It’s easy to hate a winner... or just plain ‘success’. It’s a bit of a societal or cultural thing - IMO. This play will be ‘milked’ throughout the final four - guaranteed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As I noted elsewhere, McGraw's Bench has taken over the diatribe and it sounds really really yummy. I think TN is slowly headed in the right direction but not sure about ND and stealing Patterson under their nose maybe sent them tumbling over the edge.
Let’s leave stuff on other sites where it lays.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Baylor coach gave no congrats or credit to UCONN for a job well done. She is a usually classy coach who could not rise above the fact she lost. It was a game a runs and who know if the conclusion would have been different with DIdi. They went down 16 to 4 with her on the court
I know, "she's getting big bucks", but I always hate it when they shove cameras in a losing coach or players face expecting smiles and graciousness after a gut wrenching loss. I'll give Kim and Carrington a pass. Like Geno said, nothing anybody says is going to change anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thought ONO played well with the exception of the unnecessary fouls. It could have really cost us
Maybe this has been noted somewhere but wanted to comment on a small but significant effort by ONO. For years, we have watched ONO's tendency to slap down on shots, sometimes getting called for fouls when she didn't touch the defender. On the last play, she stood tall and had her hands straight up (unlike Edwards). I was watching ONO since she was guarding the shooter and there was no contact. If this was who the refs were watching, no wonder they didn't make a call.

Reaction Score
At that point in the game, you just take the whistle out of your mouth. Good no call. Compared to the other no calls all game long, it was a great no call.
The no-call on Carrington's shot was a clear foul. The last two minutes of the game should be officiated the same as the first two minutes. The bad officiating was against BOTH teams........................but that does not excuse bad officiating. "Taking the whistle out" of the mouth at the end rewards illegal play. Remember.......................refs do not commit fouls, players do. It is the ref's job to call the foul.....................during the entire game.

(Full Disclosure: I am a former basketball referee.)

Reaction Score
That should clearly have been a foul on Edwards. Elbow in the face. But the officiating was not that great all game.
The officiating in this tournament has been bad. They really need to do extensive training for officials in all the conference's. It doesn't help grow the game when people tune in and see so many blown calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom