Baylor Going Down to KU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Going Down to KU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So in consecutive games, Baylor loses their 69 home court winning streak and their 136 game streak without back to back losses. Their last back to back losses were to to Oklahoma and Iowa State in February 2010.

Not close to the UConn mark, but a very respectable string.
Plus yesterday they also lost their nation-leading streak of road wins, and now ND takes over the top spot. Not a great six days for Baylor.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Plus, didn't this end a streak of consecutive games in one state? Just kidding, but I wouldn't be surprised.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Um, I guess that depends on which game we're viewing, and yours is different than mine. You apparently only see players flop on defense (well, okay, there is another 0.1% of the time), whereas I see players flopping all over the place on offense. Under the basket, with no chance of putting it in they throw up the ball against the bottom of the rim and flop on the court to draw a foul (watch the Rutgers game today). Or going through a screen they draw a slight bit of contact and do a flop reel to the floor as if they were clotheslined. Or while shooting a 3 a defender goes hurtling by with no contact but the shooter throws up a wild air ball while flopping to the floor. Or ..... but actually I think we already exceeded the limit for those 0.1% offensive flops. Some of the most prolific scorers in WCBB history have been offensive floppers, but they have been able to do it on 0.1% of the plays.

As you suggested,I re-watched the RU game. In the first half, Rutgers hit the deck on offense a grand total of zero times. On D, they hit the floor once and were called for a block on a drive by MJ. All other cases of RU on the floor were loose ball scrambles. There were several instances of contact where floppers could have flopped on either side of the ball.

In the 2nd half, the first time RU hit the deck on a shot was with less than 5 minutes left and that was on a block by Stewart where no foul was called. That was the only time RU hit the deck on O aside from loose ball scrambles.

You really did watch a different game. There probably has never been a game where so few players hit the deck. This was not a prototype CViv team. Go Huskies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sims took as many shots as all other starters combined...then took six more.

Show me a team that has one player take 37 shots and I'll show you a team that has either no game plan or one that stinks.

I'll reiterate a question I posed a little while ago. What would happen if Kim demanded that Odyssey get at least ten assists?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is not the first time that a team has has a BIG letdown after a big game, and won't be the last. This is not the first time a top 10 team has lost to an unranked opponent, and it won't be the last. Seems like I remember UCONN losing at home a couple of years back to an unranked opponent and still getting to the Final Four.

BUT, on the bright side, my Broncos whomped on some Patriot ass yesterday!!! That was what counted yesterday!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Show me a team that has one player take 37 shots and I'll show you a team that has either no game plan or one that stinks.

I'll reiterate a question I posed a little while ago. What would happen if Kim demanded that Odyssey get at least ten assists?
The other Baylor players have to be prepared for a change in Sims behavior on the offensive end. To get assists, the other players have to set up looking for a pass, and it appears in much of the games they are looking more to clean off her misses with an offensive rebound and a put back. It's not necessarily the worst strategy, since Sims does draw a lot of defenders near the basket and opens up spaces for her teammates to set up for rebounds. But much of the offense is predicated on Sims making a much higher percentage of her shots or racking up the FT attempts.

So yes, Kim should definitely challenge OS to get 10 assists, but the question is, does the practice time work on offensive plays that have Baylor players moving around to set up for a Sims assist, or are they just working on largely just wrinkles of Sims driving. And when Sims drives she is almost invariably putting up a shot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
This is not the first time that a team has has a BIG letdown after a big game, and won't be the last. This is not the first time a top 10 team has lost to an unranked opponent, and it won't be the last. Seems like I remember UCONN losing at home a couple of years back to an unranked opponent and still getting to the Final Four.

BUT, on the bright side, my Broncos whomped on some Patriot ass yesterday!!! That was what counted yesterday!
Don't remember that UConn team losing back-to-back though. In fact the last time that happened, my ancestors were chasing mastodons.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In Sims defense this seems to be what Mulkey wants. In previous years Sims was a great compliment to Griner, but all year she has been dominating the scoring and shooting - she averages 22 shots a game (30% of Baylor's shots), and that includes 9 OOC games against really dreadful teams where one assumes she was not playing 30+ minutes. If her shooting that often was an issue one would think Kim would have said something to her.

Kim has flat out stated that this is what she wants Sims to do this year...shoot, shoot, shoot! Maybe Kim has less confidence in the youngsters than she should. Small needs to work on her shot but the girl can handle the ball and get to the rim. I think she should be at the PG position as Johnson has no offense. Little Mulkey plays hard but she cannot guard anyone and she can only shoot if she is wide open. She has zero ability to dribble past her opponent and get off her own shot. I would like to see Wright, another freshman, on the floor more.

Anyway, this is the way it goes with Mulkey. She tinkered with the forward and guard positions a lot last year and I hope that she does that this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom