Basketball Lawyers: Please Define "Lower Defensive Box" | The Boneyard

Basketball Lawyers: Please Define "Lower Defensive Box"

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The broadcast of last night's Tennessee game (specifically the play where Jillian Hollingshead drove on Aubrey and was initially called for a charge, which was then changed to a block when video showed that Aubrey's heels were in the restricted area) was the first time that I had ever heard the term "lower defensive box".

The way Rebecca explained it, if Hollingshead had caught the pass and started her drive in the "lower defensive box" (LDB), then it would be irrelevant whether Aubrey was in the restricted arc. Whether or not Hollingshead's drive started in the LDB was the subject of the video review, which concluded that she was just barely outside the LDB when she caught the pass, so Aubrey could not take a charge in the restricted area. (According to my research, if she had a foot or even a toe in the LDB, she would be considered to be in the LDB.)

All this is quite unsatisfying if (like me) you don't know the geometric definition of the LDB. I searched online today for a definition, and I found some confusing verbal definitions but no diagram (very surprising). Apparently the vertical ("north-south") boundaries of the LDB are the baseline and the bottom of the free throw circle -- that is clear enough. But what are the horizontal ("east-west") dimensions? The verbal definitions refer to "tick marks" on the baseline which I've never noticed -- do they even exist? Apparently they are a bit wider than the lane markers, but not too much wider.

Since Hollingshead was clearly below the bottom of the free throw circle (possibly straddling that line, but that should be sufficient), the only way she could be outside the LDB is if she was outside its horizontal limits.

Who knows the rule? If you don't mind, could you review the play in question and opine on whether you think she was in or out of the LDB at the start of her drive?

This is an obscurity in the rule that I had never heard of -- I would like to be enlightened.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Art. 2. The lower defensive box is an imaginary box designated by two tick
marks on the end line and the second lane-space marks from the free-throw line
and distinguishes when the restricted-area rule is or is not in effect. A player is
considered to be in the lower defensive box when any part of either foot is in
or above this area.

Go to this publication:
Rules

There's a diagram on page 20

The rules for constructing it are as follows:
Art. 7. To designate the lower defensive box (Rule 1-8.2), two tick marks shall
be placed on each side of the lane. Each tick mark shall be a solid 2-inch wide
line that is 12 inches long. Each tick mark shall be measured 3 feet from the
outside edge of the lane line to the inside edge of the tick mark line. The tick
mark will begin on the end line and run parallel to the lane line.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Lower Defensive box.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
@Phil , Your link to the rules didn't work -- it said the document was not found. But thanks for responding. However, from your explanatory text, it sounds like the LDB is basically the lane plus three feet on either side, right? So if the offensive player starts her drive within three feet of the lane, then the restricted arc is irrelevant, and the defensive player can be inside the arc and still take a charge.

So what is your opinion of the play in question? Hollingshead (in my viewing) was clearly low enough to be in the LDB, but she may not have been within three feet of the lane. I would have to re-watch with that focus to make that determination.

Reaction Score
There are a couple of things that some may not understand about this rule and how it is applied. First here are the relevant parts of the rules:

1. A secondary defender cannot obtain initial legal guarding position in the restricted area for the purpose of drawing an offensive foul/charge when defending a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) . . . when that player was located outside the lower defensive box when they started their movement to the basket. In such case, when illegal contact occurs within this restricted area, such contact shall be ruled a blocking foul, unless the contact is an intentional or disqualifying foul.

1A. There are no secondary defenders when the offensive player with the ball is within the lower defensive box when they start their move to the basket.

2. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender after that player has been beaten by an opponent because they failed to obtain or maintain a guarding position. A defensive player is beaten when the offensive player’s head and shoulders get past the defender. There are no secondary defenders when the offensive player with the ball is within the lower defensive box when they start their move to the basket.

3. The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted-area arc, which has a 4-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and extending to the face of the backboard. A secondary defender is considered to be in the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.

- - - - - - -

What is important to note is that these rules ONLY apply to a "secondary defender". As can be seen in #2 above, that defender is one who was not guarding the player with the ball but rather steps in to help when the primary defender is beaten.

And it is also important to note that there can be no "secondary defender" if the offensive player begins her move while within the lower defensive box that has been discussed in the above posts. Thus if Griffin had been the primary defender on the play, the restricted area rule would not apply regardless of where the offensive move was initiated.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
@Phil , Your link to the rules didn't work -- it said the document was not found. But thanks for responding. However, from your explanatory text, it sounds like the LDB is basically the lane plus three feet on either side, right? So if the offensive player starts her drive within three feet of the lane, then the restricted arc is irrelevant, and the defensive player can be inside the arc and still take a charge.

So what is your opinion of the play in question? Hollingshead (in my viewing) was clearly low enough to be in the LDB, but she may not have been within three feet of the lane. I would have to re-watch with that focus to make that determination.
I don't know what happened to the link, try this:
Rule books

You only need the link if you want to see it in context. I provided the diagram and the relevant rules

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
@Phil , Your link to the rules didn't work -- it said the document was not found. But thanks for responding. However, from your explanatory text, it sounds like the LDB is basically the lane plus three feet on either side, right?
No. it is not the lane plus 3 feet on each side. Check the diagram. It does not go all the way to the free throw line.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good thread @JoePgh . I just finished watching the replay and had the same question. I was freaking out too much to remember the explanations during the live broadcast.

Reaction Score
The referees can barely call the game as it is. It would be easier if a charge was a charge, regardless of where it occurred.

It would be easier, but coaches and officials didn’t like it years ago when that’s how it was officiated. Back then a player could stand directly underneath the basket and just sit there waiting to pick up a charge on anyone who drove to the basket. The player drawing the charge didn’t have to make any attempt to play defense, and it made it very hard for someone to go to the basket without slamming into the defender whose sole goal was to draw a charge.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I thought I learned something until the discussion about secondary defenders, LDB, and the restricted area. Refs can't possibly make (accurate) calls involving these things in real time. In my opinion this means the rules are over the top. "Imaginary box", come on, give me a break. Blocks/charges are tough enough to call (see the Tenn game) without this nonsense.

Reaction Score
This entire enlightening discussion (l loved the diagram for clarity), reminds me
not to officiate these games from my home courtside seat based on my already
limited understanding of the official rules! But I agree that it sounds almost
impossible for a ref to make those decisions in "real time". I can see why
head coaches, and fans, go crazy!! Go UCONN beat Villanova!!

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Actually it is not that difficult for refs, it just doesn't come into play very often in the women's game. In simple terms, if a player starts a strong drive to the basket from "far" away, you need to get out of the way - can't help by "planting a pole" in the way. It is a good rule that prevents serious accidents among the big and tall men players with big strides.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom