Balm for the basketball blues | The Boneyard

Balm for the basketball blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can feel the pain and the angst and the boredom on here as we wait for practice to begin. Hopefully, this will help a few of you. There was a Dukie All American who said just a few years back, and I DO quote here: "To me, there are ONLY TWO PLACES TO GO FOR WOMEN'S BASKETBALL, UCONN and Tennessee."

Now, this particular Dukie was not a waiter, yet he did manage to get his assertion half correct.

Enough of the balm, here is the tough part: 1. What was the error made by this quite knowledgeable pundit? 2. What are the Duke recruits and recruits for other school's thinking when confronted with his harsh, yet delightful in a husky sort of way, assertion? ( I mean, count the rings, girls.) 3. Who was he? 4. What was the historic occasion on which he presented his position?

Reaction Score
PHIL : exactly. You are a real fan of "Our Girls" (like most of us)....who is also blessed with a good memory (unlike some of us). I had held back the clue that he is also a commentator, to make it a little more challenging. . You're on a roll.....three Q to go............

Reaction Score
SAM - such a very solid thought that I'm tempted to tell you the correct answer. But, only tempted. ;) Strong idea though...... but around the rim two or three times and out. . Good of you to weigh in on a very "dead thread." :) Sorry I just found this and don't know when you posted it. We've been on the go.

Reaction Score
SB: No two ways about that one....nothing but net. So, we've nailed questions 1 and 3.....rimmed out a close one, not correct, on #4. No interest shown on #2.

Reaction Score
2. What are the Duke recruits and recruits for other school's thinking when confronted with his harsh, yet delightful in a husky sort of way, assertion? ( I mean, count the rings, girls.)

That's because it's a tough question here, Winlots. How are we to know what they're thinking? Can you reprhase it or give a hint?

As far as my almost-right answer goes. . . don't you hate it when a ball rims out? :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
SB: No two ways about that one....nothing but net. So, we've nailed questions 1 and 3.....rimmed out a close one, not correct, on #4. No interest shown on #2.

#2 There is more than life than college basketball..... :)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
#2 They are all thinking " he is wrong and I'm going to be the one to prove it."

Reaction Score
That's because it's a tough question here, Winlots. How are we to know what they're thinking? Can you reprhase it or give a hint?

As far as my almost-right answer goes. . . don't you hate it when a ball rims out? :)

SAM: I don't KNOW what they're thinking, of course. So there is no right answer on this one. Was just interested in what other Yarders would think kids would be thinking in response to the quote from Bilas. My own thoughts are that it would get my dander up, if I was a Duke lean (or maybe ANY other lean).....but that it might also serve to make me pause and take a second look at mighty UCONN before I pulled the trigger. You?

As far as the ball rimming out, hey I was usually just really pleased to HIT the freakin rim....rollin around and out was even better....and the few times it went in : ecstacy! (If you want, I'll tap your near miss in for ya in the next post............??)

Reaction Score
#2 There is more than life than college basketball..... :)

TRI: Sounds like a waiter to me ;). JUst not sure if high end or fast food. (I THOUGHT you might show up here.....thanks for checking in.....and I do actually agree with your assertion, of corse.)

Reaction Score
#2 They are all thinking " he is wrong and I'm going to be the one to prove it."

HUSKY: If they are already committed, I bet that's so for any really competitive kid. I was hoping to catch a couple of those on the fence, or leaning our way, and give them something more to think about in favor of a wise UCONN decision.>

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
- Boneyard Disclaimer: This member has a volatile memory – any resemblance the following has to real people or facts is coincidental:
- May not be the instance we're looking for in this thread, but I recall a related Jay Bilas comment about 2010 in Storrs during ESPN's Tip Off Marathon (or whatever it was called back then):
- Around 2010, ESPN did a 4 (?) part video series called "The Climb – UConn's Quest for Perfection.
- Among the many highlights were well edited excerpts of ESPN's WCBB Tip Off Marathon (or whatever similar marketing name they used) at Storrs, which featured UConn so completely overwhelming ND (ranked # 3) from the very beginning .
- The coverage was excellent. With Gampel rocking, Doris Burke reported Coach A's pre-game remarks that got the team so fired up. Something akin to... ' This is why you came to UConn. Big time game. Big time team. And you are big time players!'
- If you have that video (I no longer do), I believe during pre-game comments Jay Bilas explains he felt (back in 2010) the only truly appropriate places to go to hold ESPN's WCBB Tip Off coverage would be UConn or UTenn.
-It's indeed a great reminder just how far both teams have since moved, in opposite directions. UTenn continues its free fall, in having missed 5 straight Final Fours (a team record) ...and counting. Meanwhile, UConn now has already reached an NCAA record 6 straight Final Fours ...and counting.

Reaction Score
ARTY: NOTHIN but net! It was at Gampel and it was the first time ESPN had done that show with a women's game as the feature event. (And your final paragraph is nothing but music, at least to these ears.)

Reaction Score
ARTY: NOTHIN but net! It was at Gampel and it was the first time ESPN had done that show with a women's game as the feature event. (And your final paragraph is nothing but music, at least to these ears.)
Wow! When I read your original post, Winlots, I thought of that ESPN whatchamacallit when they did the basketball thing from Storrs (she said articulately) and #3 ND was overwhelmed in the first five minutes. Moral of the story: go with your instinct for that first answer.

I still have that video. I'll have to track it down. Tina, Maya. Good stuff.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Wow! When I read your original post, Winlots, I thought of that ESPN whatchamacallit when they did the basketball thing from Storrs (she said articulately) and #3 ND was overwhelmed in the first five minutes. Moral of the story: go with your instinct for that first answer.

I still have that video. I'll have to track it down. Tina, Maya. Good stuff.

As in track down and post a link to it, I hope!

Reaction Score
SAM - articulation is good. I just don't happen to have any.

CAB et al: we have the tapes of all that. Locals are welcome to PM me and come for a private viewing.......you might have to bring the libations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom