Azura | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Azura

Reaction Score
Azura was anointed a POY candidate by Doris Burke during the UConn South Carolina game in Feb.
Of course Doris also said it was because Azura would be in the hands of the "master" -Geno. I firmly agree with Doris.
I agree with her, Azura is a fantastic player.

Reaction Score
If Z's season matches Pheesa's last season--other than the final game--I will be thrilled!
Ms Stevens will NOT match Collier--nor shall she exceed her --she'll have a different season--blocks and rebounds and layups will increase/ Two different ladies with different heights and skill sets. Having 5 starters each with an excess of 20 points each---could happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ms Stevens will NOT match Collier--nor shall she exceed her --she'll have a different season--blocks and rebounds and layups will increase/ Two different ladies with different heights and skill sets. Having 5 starters each with an excess of 20 points each---could happen.
Yes, it will be different, but if it is comparable in some way, I'm happy. I don't think anyone will average 20+, though Lou and Pheesa may be the most likely. But I think we will have 7 or more players hit 20 in a single game.

Reaction Score
Name the last 6'6" player with Zs skills that geno coached? I think most of you are thinking of a starting lineup using your hearts and not your heads. If collier is a great player as all of you think she is, then coming off the bench shouldn't matter to her. Its team first and everything is done for the team. Most of you think of gabby as a guard but she hasn't played as one yet for conn and neither has kls, so you think geno is magically going to change that?
Who are you putting in --in place of Collier? To me Geno is locked to his core 4---Uconn/Geno Defense/Offense knowledge--gave him a year last year he probably should not have had-talented, experienced, already bought into Geno's idiosyncrasies-proven in the taste of battle--chemistry
Azura is a new twist -- Who would the starting 5 be if not Collier or if not Azura? Danger is height challenged and has yet to prove she is Moriah, Walker--brand new, no Geno D, no bigtime BB,
Molly, Kyla, and the new kids on the bloc--pick your five..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great comment about Doris.

I think the point about NPOY is being missed. UConn will have 4 players with a legitimate shot at it, the 3 returning AA's plus Stevens. When was the last time any team was that loaded? 2001? They were great but not at that level.

Who wins it will be largely a factor of who best actualizes their talent. And no one can predict that.
I agree that we have 4 potential NPOYs, which is crazy. They may split the UConn vote, with Wilson then winning. I think both actualizing talent and how the offense and defense are structure will be keys. If plays are run for Lou, I like her chances. If Gabby is in the middle of everything, I like her chances. It should be a fun season. No more "rebuilding." :)

Reaction Score
Yes, it will be different, but if it is comparable in some way, I'm happy. I don't think anyone will average 20+, though Lou and Pheesa may be the most likely. But I think we will have 7 or more players hit 20 in a single game.

I was sneaky --i didn't say AVERAGE 20 points ---I said it COULD happen. If Geno's teaching session in South Carolina has any fact to it--then there is a high probability that Katie Lou COULD average above 20 point. The part of the Geno system that hurts many players is two fold--with more than 2 top shooters and as we've seen high game scorers seemed to rotate through the 5 starters--make NPOY harder, if not impossible.
I have to agree--everything, if we dig deep enough, is comparable. And there will be aspects of Colliers game that we see with Stevens game--no denying that.

Reaction Score
I agree that we have 4 potential NPOYs, which is crazy. They may split the UConn vote, with Wilson then winning. I think both actualizing talent and how the offense and defense are structure will be keys. If plays are run for Lou, I like her chances. If Gabby is in the middle of everything, I like her chances. It should be a fun season. No more "rebuilding." :)
There isn't a thing about Gabby William I don't like--she is exceptional. For me to think she has a shot at NPOY-is beyond belief--she's a team player, does that which is asked of her. My gut says she'll play more of the guard this year--especially on defense--does she deserve it---certainly--but deserving in this world and getting is very different.
Still emotionally, i like what you have written on Gabby.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There isn't a thing about Gabby William I don't like--she is exceptional. For me to think she has a shot at NPOY-is beyond belief--she's a team player, does that which is asked of her. My gut says she'll play more of the guard this year--especially on defense--does she deserve it---certainly--but deserving in this world and getting is very different.
Still emotionally, i like what you have written on Gabby.
Gabby Williams is the only player I've seen who may play harder than Maya. Will being the ultimate team player help her or hurt her in the NPOY balloting? Watching her career has been so much fun. I LOVE her attitude and the way she has improved. I think she is the new prototype for WBB.

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is the only player I've seen who may play harder than Maya. Will being the ultimate team player help her or hurt her in the NPOY balloting? Watching her career has been so much fun. I LOVE her attitude and the way she has improved. I think she is the new prototype for WBB.

I agree with all except the last sentence---if you had said : she should be the prototype , I'd agree
But Gabby's uniqueness is pure Gabby, and RARE. To replicate Gabby--we'd need to put her parents on to starting a production line.

Reaction Score
We all expected a lot from Natalie when she arrived but for whatever reasons (I think her thumb injury has had a huge lasting impact on her play) she just did not work out with UConn.

Therefore I for one will withhold any annointments, transfers or freshmen, until I have seen them play with her UConn teammates.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
IMO, no. It will never happen at Uconn. Too much bench talent to give the five starters opportunity to average 20 points or more each.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This may easily be the case because (we hope), many of their games will be over with about 4-5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Geno may pull most of the starters to get the 8 bench players some minutes. If this scenario happens, this will shorten the starters minutes thereby decreasing their probability of scoring 20+ points in any particular game.

We all know Geno does not place a premium on individual stats. I think he would care more about winning the game, and getting as many of his reserves in the game as possible, and seeing some individual as well as team growth in the process.

In games involving top 10 teams, the starters may have to stay in until late in the 4th quarter. In games against unranked and inferior opponents, the starters may come out a lot sooner. There's also the thought of giving the starters enough floor time to develop and "hone" their unit chemistry. This would be more the case early in the season, in November and December.

I don't believe Geno would sacrifice that over playing time for the reserves. Once the starters become a well oiled machine, then the old ball coach may feel at ease to substitute freely once the outcome of the game is no longer in question. For those of you that don't think chemistry is real or important.

I remind you of the time KML went down with a shoulder injury. She missed 12 games. Of course they replaced her with reserve players (Chong, Williams & Banks), but it was not the same. The chemistry was broken. I remember reading Stewie's reference to that dynamic after KLM's return.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with all except the last sentence---if you had said : she should be the prototype , I'd agree
But Gabby's uniqueness is pure Gabby, and RARE. To replicate Gabby--we'd need to put her parents on to starting a production line.
I think what we'll see over the next few decades is that great athletes like Gabby, Maya, Diamond, and Courtney Williams will be much more common. I think Geno has said something to that effect. It may be a slow process, but it's the trend.

Reaction Score
We all expected a lot from Natalie when she arrived but for whatever reasons (I think her thumb injury has had a huge lasting impact on her play) she just did not work out with UConn.

Therefore I for one will withhold any annointments, transfers or freshmen, until I have seen them play with her UConn teammates.

You are more than entitled to withhold your anointment of Stevens. However, there is a HUGE difference between coming from Georgetown and succeeding in the Big East and coming from Duke and succeeding in the ACC which is arguably the best conference in the country.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Crystal doesn't play defense very well, and that will keep her out of the starting lineup. She will never be like Moriah who worked on her defense, and was a pest even her freshman year. Remember face-guarding Skylar in the semi-final game.
Can I edit your post

Crystal hasn't played defense very well and if she doesn't improve that wil ...

Thanks

Reaction Score
You are more than entitled to withhold your anointment of Stevens. However, there is a HUGE difference between coming from Georgetown and succeeding in the Big East and coming from Duke and succeeding in the ACC which is arguably the best conference in the country.
I think the SEC may have a case for best conference given that last year's final was all SEC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I remind you of the time KML went down with a shoulder injury. She missed 12 games. Of course they replaced her with reserve players (Chong, Williams & Banks), but it was not the same. The chemistry was broken. I remember reading Stewie's reference to that dynamic after KLM's return.
KML injured her elbow (nerve damage) not her shoulder. She missed 7 games, not 12. Of the 7 games KML missed, the first 2 @MD and @PSU were the only competitive games. There was no "broken chemistry" in KML's return to the lineup because both KML and UCONN were spectacular in her return, routing Duke in the process @ Duke. In her return @ Duke KLM did not start but managed to set a personal best (at the time) for 3 pointers made= 7. Morgan Tuck was also injured at this same time. Hard to conceive of chemistry issues with that team (might have been one of UCONN best EVER ) that was 40-0 and closest MOV was 11 points @ Baylor. The only players on that roster NOT to play in the WNBA are the two walkons ( Pulido & Lawlor) and Banks.

Reaction Score

Noo-- all of us "didn't." I think a lot of people were happy we got a big (including me) but there was a lot of conversation as how good is GTOWN. This is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING similar. I can remember this site scrapping around to get more than a few minutes look at Natalie. Many of us have SEEN Stevens. HUGE HUGE HUGE difference than what you speak. If you want to hold back - that's your decision..

For those of us that have seen Stevens- we know there is no comparison to her and the Natalie subject you just brought up. You just prefer to be cautious. That's fine. Many of us aren't as cautious as you therefore we will be right from the start. But you're welcome to come aboard anytime you want my friend!!! :)

I have no doubt Geno is going to tear into her and nearly everyone else except the seniors. There's a movie I liked called Purgatory. The villain Black Jack Britton was with his gang in the town of Refuge an told his lead guy "I'm sick of being nice!" Geno isn't going to be nice like he was this year including Stevens. He won't tear into the seniors as much -- but you will see very strong play from Stevens - and if you don't

you're going to see Geno right behind her ready to kick her in the pants.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Some observations

1) Most BYers are too focused on who will start. It's an interesting discussion with many valid opinions now that we are in a time for speculation. For me the issue is who is going to be on the floor when the game is on the line. Who does Geno run the play to when he needs a basket

2) According to Geno the "point guard" is not a position on the floor but an attitude in the huddle. The player who steps up and tells everyone what is going to be run and who is going where. That person has been Kia to date.

Reaction Score
IMO, no. It will never happen at UConn. Too much bench talent to give the five starters opportunity to average 20 points or more each.
Okay then, eight players averaging 20 points. ;) I see the first 5 guard offense on the horizon. It will drive the opposition crazy!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
There seems to be an absolute conviction by some on this board that UConn must start a true pg or the Huskies will be doomed next year. I get where this is coming from. Mo was an extraordinary pg who had the ball in her hand most of the time on offense. But basketball is changing. The conventional 1-5 positions are passe. The best teams don't play with a true center or pg anymore. Everbody handles the ball, passes the ball and shoots the ball. Think of the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry is not a true pg.

This past season, UConn had 5 players with over 100 assists, with the "center" leading the team. You can say that either Kia or Saniya was the pg of the team, but the truth is they were both combo guards who handled the ball like everyone else in the flow of the offense. UConn does not need a true pg. Z will start along with Gabby, Lou, Pheesa & Kia. Danger will get her minutes, particularly when Geno wants to speed up the game and break the other team's will.
Right on, Old Dude. There are no stats on this but I bet UConn dribbles the ball less than just about any team in the country. The UConn offensive system is built on movement, passing, screening and good shot selection.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Okay then, eight players averaging 20 points. ;) I see the first 5 guard offense on the horizon. It will drive the opposition crazy!
We had a five guard starting five here in St. Louis at Vashon high school one year. It drove the opposition crazy and they won the state championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom