awe inspiring press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

awe inspiring press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The Hartford Civic Centre is an ugly concrete brutalist monstrosity which demonstrates in architecture that the civic centre is absent of a civil impulse. Nor does there appear to be civic activity at the weekend here at all: there is no heart at the centre."
A quote from the King Crimson Diaries

Reaction Score
I was sort of with him until the court of the crimson king reference at the end. Neither UConn nor Cal wear crimson and the game was played at HCC, which was only home to the green-clad Whalers at the time, who play on ice anyway.

But, the HCC court was red for Husky games back then.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I can imagine chaps laying out a bunch of mostly nonsense and watching you trying to interpret/ damn it.
That would be funny.

Reaction Score
No. You were probably thinking about "cultural assimilation," which, although not "forced," occurs without requiring the consent of the assimilated.
The word "assimilate," standing alone, is not restricted to culture, which is a narrower use of the word, but rather, much more broadly, suggests the willing adoption of a thing, whether it be, as given in the second first definition provided infra, information, ideas, or culture.

1. to take in and incorporate as one's own; absorb (dictionary.com)
1. take in (information, ideas, or culture) and understand fully. (oxforddictionaries.com)

So, you see, you apparently use the word "assimilate" as a homo habilis would use a club, bluntly and broadly thrashing about, with only one understood application, that being to bash.

I, on the other hand, used the word "assimilate" in a refined manner, like a brush used by a painter, suggesting an image of chipivaug slowly, forcibly converting others to his madcap posting style, irrespective of culture.

Son. If you want to swim with the big fishes, you're going to want to take off the water wing floaties.
Some of you guys make me fell stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer