Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
Maybe the coach looks at things a bit differently than many of us do. We want instant gratification. “Get someone in here who can at least get her share of rebounds and points against Boston”

The coach may look at things on a longer term basis. What do I need from my post players to win at the highest level going forward?”

In a way, it’s the same question but the difference, IMO, also includes changes in recruiting decisions and the overall offensive scheme. My assumption is that players like Boston, Morrow, etc, will be an increasing part of the college scene going forward. Players are getting bigger, stronger and better. Teams must be able to compete in the paint. The “ guards win championships” mantra doesn’t make it by itself. If you are not competitive In the paint, your guards will be stopped.

So, anticipating the usual responses about making it to the FF for the umpteenth time, out rebounding the majority of opponents, having a superior back court, ……I only say,….if we don’t change, we are good enough to make the FF again. But, if more Bostons are in our future, the chances of ending the NC drought are not too good.

I would focus on stronger forwards who can crash the boards and score mid-range. And, I would stop this offensive scheme that has, at times, both of our bigs hovering around the 3 point line trying to set screens. Get them in the paint, keep them there and make their defense take them seriously.

It is a different game now. It must be adjusted to.

Reaction Score
So recently having a great post is the difference maker. The data point which skews the results. A great post can be a statistical anomaly. There are not a lot of "great" posts ergo our need to try to recruit them, which I'm absolutely sure we are trying to do. For whatever reason, recently we have lost some of those battles and it doesn't look like that is going to change any time soon. Geno is doing everything he can or he wouldn't have focused so much on Ice ( who he gambled on and offered early if I remember correctly ) and Ayanna who is capable of being a dominant rebounder. Is anyone going to complain if Ayanna comes in and gives us 12 rebounds a game next year? I don't think so. If all she did was rebound and defend like that we all would be ecstatic.

Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky never said the teams played three times this season what he wrote was "The last three times they've faced the Huskies".
So I have never mentioned UConn in my post. Do you know that?

Why when people said something other people always redirected to UConn Husky?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Devil’s advocate here.
How do you know Amari ‘definitely’ has the skill set to become a dominant post player.
All one really has to go on, by and large, is tape of her beating up on inferior sized/skilled HS competition.
We don’t see practice.
Have seen absolutely nothing in her playing time at UCONN besides a couple of rebounds and a number of 3 point heaves.
Not down on her-Christ, she’s an athletic 6’5”- but please, show me SOMETHING.
Haven’t seen anything as a precursor to “ dominant”.
Nobody knows for sure. If you are a UCONN fan you hope she becomes that players the same way we hoped for 3 years that ONO would as well. The BY would be a boring place if all our hope and expectation was at the same level. I hope you are wrong about Amari. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So I have never mentioned UConn in my post. Do you know that?
Why when people said something other people always redirected to UConn Husky?
:eek: I have no idea why that would happen on a UCONN Board! But my guess is that it will keep happening. :D

Reaction Score
I agree with Lobodays on the high post affecting our rebounding potential. If they are going to set that high pick then we need more focus on rolling to the basket for the pass back or rebound. I still think we don't crash the boards as much as we could with our bigs. Our guards also seem to just assume the ball is going in the basket rather than get in rebounding position. Of course some guards need to stay back to defend the break but even though we are a good rebounding team overall we could still improve.

Reaction Score
There is no question that SC has 3 excellent players that can play the post. As Dawn Staley said in an interview: we do not worry about making the first shot because we know that we are going to get the offensive rebound and either make that shot or get fouled.

If UConn is going to contend against SC, they are going to need 3 big "Bulls" to push and shove against those 3 excellent post players on SC. The portal at this point is the place to look for some of them with experience. And, they should act quickly before Dawn adds them to her team.

Reaction Score
My main point still stands it is fairly shortsighted to focus on the injuries because the gap between the teams is significantly above what the injuries would account for and the injuries are not predictable. It is really a quick excuse as was put forth last year when UCONN lost to Arizona-Nika was not fully healthy.
Well there is the difference. It's not short-sighted one bit. It’s spouting facts.

And to use what you're doing about Dorka and speaking of her 3 minute play vs Indiana is just another negative excuse. Using that logic then looking back at UCONN vs UCF then UCONN should never have beaten NC State and/or Stanford. The point is- you can't do what you're doing by using Doka’s one 3 minute game and applying to what would have happened vs SC.

That’s just openly being negative. I do agree though with you and anyone else that has the sentiment that the inside needs to be better. It's why I am so darn hopeful with Patterson. Not as a low post but can maybe get some easy baskets and in different ways even vs the elite teams. Even if it means her defense helps UCONN on the fastbreak.

Well it';s sunday I'm out. Have a great day coco and kaizen olddude slu geeworld and everyone else.

Reaction Score
I think the opposite. They need some scoring on the inside to open up the outside. That's why I've been more "pro-Patterson" while you are more "pro-Brady" I suppose.
that's the way it should work but against South Carolina I'm speculating that if Brady hits a couple of those jump shots it would force Boston or Saxton away from the basket, hopefully allowing Patterson, Edwards etc a bit more space to operate while also taking the focus away from the three-point shooters........simply put, the more players UConn has that are a threat to score the less the defense can cheat or double team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Devil’s advocate here.
How do you know Amari ‘definitely’ has the skill set to become a dominant post player.
All one really has to go on, by and large, is tape of her beating up on inferior sized/skilled HS competition.
We don’t see practice.
Have seen absolutely nothing in her playing time at UCONN besides a couple of rebounds and a number of 3 point heaves.
Not down on her-Christ, she’s an athletic 6’5”- but please, show me SOMETHING.
Haven’t seen anything as a precursor to “ dominant”.
Let’s be clear about we do have on Amari and what we don’t have. Amari was the #12 rated player in her senior class. She fell 6 spots from her jr year because her senior season in HS was cancelled due to Covid, so we have no meaningful tape of her beating up on HS kids. What we do have is about 30 minutes of film from the U19 World Championships and 83 minutes of play this past season against college competition.

Here’s what I see. Amari has a relatively big body and good hands, a key skill for any Big. She runs the court reasonably well, although I believe she can improve quite a bit with better conditioning. Amari also has the ability to score from a variety of places on the court. She can finish at the rim with either hand and has a really nice bank shot from 5’-10’. Amari’s 3-point shot is the second best looking stroke on the team to Azzi’s. :eek: Amari is also a very good passer from the high post.

In the minutes Amari got when everyone was injured, she was more than willing to body up other post players and demonstrated a sound knowledge of defensive positioning (thank you Jamelle). Amari needs work on defensive recognition and providing help defense. I suggested that I want to see more aggression on defense from her, even if she goes through a period where she gets whistled for a bunch of fouls.

Geno has indicated that Amari is one of the most skilled Bigs he’s ever had. That’s very much a legitimate comment. What she lacks at this point in time is better conditioning, experience & confidence.

UConn fans can fantasize about some other Big in the transfer portal that may or may not have the ability to put the Huskies over the top next season. I don’t see that player. Next season, with Dorka & Aaliyah, UConn will have one of the best frontcourt combinations in WBB. I expect to see Ice & Ayanna crack the rotation once they figure things out.

Amari has already committed to the first necessary step by planning to be in Storrs all summer working with Andrea Hudy on her strength & conditioning, while developing her game as well. IMO, Amari is a better option to backup Dorka & Aaliyah than anyone in the portal next season and a much better long term option to be UConn’s starting center in the years beyond.

Reaction Score
It probably is Raven Johnson who was a top recruit last year and who was getting a lot of PT for a Freshman before she got hurt.
Yeah, she got a lot of PT. In the season opener she got 7 minutes with no stats at all. And after 1 minute got hurt in the 2nd game. At least do some research before you throw this stuff out as if it's real.

Reaction Score
Olivia didnt exactly set the world on fire her freshman year. Amari was more of a Katie Lou type player and just needs to learn the finer points of rebounding, boxing out and put backs. Amari wasnt bad for a freshman who had to find some playing time behind Olivia, Aaliyah and Dorka. Give her some time to get stronger and more aggressive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
that's the way it should work but against South Carolina I'm speculating that if Brady hits a couple of those jump shots it would force Boston or Saxton away from the basket, hopefully allowing Patterson, Edwards etc a bit more space to operate while also taking the focus away from the three-point shooters........simply put, the more players UConn has that are a threat to score the less the defense can cheat or double team
As a fan base we continue to underestimate Boston's impact on the defensive end of the floor. Time to come to grips that we are not going to beat her with gimmicks. As a freshman there was the though that UCONN should out run her because she was poorly conditioned. As a sophomore there was a though that we could drive right at her and get her in foul trouble. Now we are suggesting drawing her away from the basket. Boston is the National DPOY and deservedly so. Boston's ability to help on the perimeter, recover, block shots, BBIQ, and reflexes are all elite. What is most elite in her tool bag are the reflexes. Boston reaction to the ball and the game situation are Dennis Rodman like. My point is you may be able to fool a player like that for a play or two but you better have a plan B. UCONN hitting some more mid or long range jump shots will certainly help-then what?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think Deberry has the skills to be a 12/6 player for UConn but there's simply no way she can handle Boston down low......to be fair I don't think there's another player in the country who can.......the real question is whether Dorka, Brady and Patterson can help Edwards control the other front court players on South Carolina or Stanford......if they can somewhat compete on the boards and the UConn guards shoot up to their abilities that's their best bet to win the next NC......
All this concern about Boston and SC. Neither Mizzou nor Kentucky had a front line as good as UConn's and they both beat SC. Some coaching strategy needs to figure in there somewhere. Focusing so much on how to beat SC. There are other teams out there that has the talent to beat UConn. SC has stopped UConn's offense the last three times they played against each other. Something in that offense needs to be changed when they play SC. What adjustments have been made in three seasons? SC does to UConn what UConn used to do to them. Stanford beat SC last season and their frontline is not as big and their guards are not as quick.

Reaction Score
You make an interesting point. UConn’s best low post players were not centers. They were forwards. Specifically, Tuck & Pheesa were 1st team AA’s with incredible low-post scoring ability. Geno probably sees that potential in Ice.
I hear allot about our weak post play which is true. We need some toughness in the post ! But the main thing that hurt us was our guard play besides Beckers. We just didn't score at all. Paige is just so tough! If we get some 3 pt. scoring from our guards things would of been different. I realize some of our players were sick or hurt. We just had no luck this year. Hope they stay healthy and heal till next season. They are a terrific group of girls.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem like you read the article if you are questioning what Geno want out of the post.

From the article:
"I’ve never gone to the national championship game and not had one or two big guys who could dominate the game at either end, offensively or defensively."

Geno

Geno want's a post presence he just doesn't have one

Okay.

But what if he doesn't have it? Who was the player he could have dumped the ball inside to vs SC?
I watch a lot of WBB basketball and of course I watch everything UCONN. I have seen a lot of programs start out with raw clay in the post and seen programs work that clay into formidable post players. I could give you my reasons as to why but that would create a whole other argument that I'm not interested in going back in forth about. I'll just say it looks different when others are crafting a post player.

Post presence is a mindset.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All this concern about Boston and SC. Neither Mizzou nor Kentucky had a front line as good as UConn's and they both beat SC. Some coaching strategy needs to figure in there somewhere. Focusing so much on how to beat SC. There are other teams out there that has the talent to beat UConn. SC has stopped UConn's offense the last three times they played against each other. Something in that offense needs to be changed when they play SC. What adjustments have been made in three seasons? SC does to UConn what UConn used to do to them. Stanford beat SC last season and their frontline is not as big and their guards are not as quick.
I disagree with that. Kentucky has Edwards who dropped 27 and 9 and the game winner in the lone Kentucky win vs SC his season. Although she did not play in SC game that Missouri won Blackwell is a special player. Either player is better than anyone UCONN can put on the front line. Ironically both players are in the portal and I wouldn't mind seeing UCONN get either oor both of them.

Reaction Score
This whole idea that Geno needs to abandon his style and join the Pat Summitt Brigade and learn to win with brute strength and a hundred offensive rebounds is just a pile of something smelly. The only guard that played well for SCar is gone and they are forced to use a transfer or a zero-experience freshman at pg. I didn't see Fletcher on any lists of AA's . And while plenty on this board had serious doubts about NPOY Bueckers coming back from a relatively minor knee issue, they have no issues with Johnson (great promise) as vying for the starting pg spot. I guess an ACL is much less serious than a bone bruise. Never mind that Johnson has no experience as a college pg. Fudd was a question mark though, right? Some of those same people needed Bueckers to "show them something" before rating her. Frankly I think some of the posters here are Creme surrogates.
UConn loses the championship game and now Geno is expected to dismantle his entire philosophy and become a disciple of the Summitt/Staley theory of basketball? Summitt won 3 in a row in the 90's and Geno didn't change, but SCar wins one and you all sound like callers into sports talk radio. It's always the same, lose a big game and the fans want a new team and a new approach. Next it will be that Geno/Daley team is an anachronism and new blood is needed.

What ever happened to practicing and getting better? SCar lost to Stanford last year but I didn't see Dawn abandon her style. Has Tara announced that Stanford is becoming a guard-oriented team?

When UConn plays bulldozer basketball I will become a very casual fan.

Reaction Score
As a fan base we continue to underestimate Boston's impact on the defensive end of the floor. Time to come to grips that we are not going to beat her with gimmicks. As a freshman there was the though that UCONN should out run her because she was poorly conditioned. As a sophomore there was a though that we could drive right at her and get her in foul trouble. Now we are suggesting drawing her away from the basket. Boston is the National DPOY and deservedly so. Boston's ability to help on the perimeter, recover, block shots, BBIQ, and reflexes are all elite. What is most elite in her tool bag are the reflexes. Boston reaction to the ball and the game situation are Dennis Rodman like. My point is you may be able to fool a player like that for a play or two but you better have a plan B. UCONN hitting some more mid or long range jump shots will certainly help-then what?
I view Boston as an immutable defensive presence so it's the other four South Carolina players on the court that have to be challenged.........call me crazy but I believe if UConn is healthy, has the proper game plan and plays up to their abilities, they can defeat South Carolina......

Reaction Score
I don't think he's weighing it. I think he understands he can't count on two freshmen and essentially a third to counter SC's frontcourt. UConn's coaches aren't following several qualify "bigs" by accident.

And as skilled as DeBerry is, she's not exactly a physical match for Boston/Saxton/Cardoso.

Frankly, even a quality addition isn't going to come close to nullifying SC's rebounding edge. I think Geno needs to come up with a particular strategy to defeat them. Trapping their guards might be a start.
I have watched Ice Brady ( tapes of some HS highlights ) and she does have the look of a player who could compete with an all star like Boston. By this, I mean she has a similar body type, and is supremely gifted as to shooting ability, moving her feet, athleticism, etc. However, it is unrealistic to expect an even match-up in her freshman year ( As an aside, I wonder how Morrow would perform vs Boston ?). We may learn next year that no-one in the WNBA can match up with Boston, either. DeBerry, as you point out, will never have the body type to do it. She might be great nonetheless, but not as a "banger." So it is more likely that UCONN ( Geno and staff ) will figure out a way to beat SC without having a one on one "neutralizer ." If, for example, De Berry forces Boston out from under the basket ( due to accurate 12-14 foot shooting ) , that might be a way. She is supposed to be an excellent passer, which might help free up AZZI and Paige for quality "looks." My point is; I don't think there is a match-up to Boston that Geno is going to find in the portal. We have to win some other way. So, in my opinion, if we grab someone from the portal it will likely be a back-up guard.

Reaction Score
Me thinks UConn needs balanced offense to win first NC since GOAT Stewie, Moriah, Tuck in 2016.

Need consistent scoring from hi post and low post. Not just outside scoring from PB, Azzi Fudd, CD.

UConn Highest Scoring Averages Season.

22.8 --- 2010-11 --- Maya Moore.
22.6 --- 1988-89 --- Kerry Bascom.
20.9 --- 1997-98 --- Nykesha Sales
20.8 --- 2018-19 --- Napheesa Collier
20.5 --- 1989-90 --- Kerry Bascom
20.4 --- 2016-17 --- Napheesa Collier
20.2 --- 2016-17 --- Katie Lou Samuelson
20.0 --- 1990-91 --- Kerry Bascom
19.7 --- 2019-20 --- Megan Walker
19.4 --- 2013-14 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.
19.4 --- 2015-16 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.

Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Jones, Williams had excellent scoring balance. 2 GOAT guards did not pull a Harden or Westbrook.

Edit - as a newbie, just realized typing A F without a space gets replaced with Azzi Fudd. Any other initials get replaced?
Me thinks UConn needs balanced offense to win first NC since GOAT Stewie, Moriah, Tuck in 2016.

Need consistent scoring from hi post and low post. Not just outside scoring from PB, Azzi Fudd, CD.

UConn Highest Scoring Averages Season.

22.8 --- 2010-11 --- Maya Moore.
22.6 --- 1988-89 --- Kerry Bascom.
20.9 --- 1997-98 --- Nykesha Sales
20.8 --- 2018-19 --- Napheesa Collier
20.5 --- 1989-90 --- Kerry Bascom
20.4 --- 2016-17 --- Napheesa Collier
20.2 --- 2016-17 --- Katie Lou Samuelson
20.0 --- 1990-91 --- Kerry Bascom
19.7 --- 2019-20 --- Megan Walker
19.4 --- 2013-14 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.
19.4 --- 2015-16 --- Breanna Stewart --- National Championship.

Bird, Taurasi, Cash, Jones, Williams had excellent scoring balance. 2 GOAT guards did not pull a Harden or Westbrook.

Edit - as a newbie, just realized typing A F without a space gets replaced with Azzi Fudd. Any other initials get replaced?

You forgot Paige’s 20.0 scoring average last season.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows for sure. If you are a UCONN fan you hope she becomes that players the same way we hoped for 3 years that ONO would as well. The BY would be a boring place if all our hope and expectation was at the same level. I hope you are wrong about Amari. :D
Why is this even a debate? We have seen no hints of her being a great low post player from her, and there have been questions about her work ethic (from her head coach). Those who have played sports at a high level know that players are who they are - yes they can improve their skills but I have never seen a player who isn’t a hardworker (or have the proper nasty factor) gain those traits.

Reaction Score
This whole idea that Geno needs to abandon his style and join the Pat Summitt Brigade and learn to win with brute strength and a hundred offensive rebounds is just a pile of something smelly. The only guard that played well for SCar is gone and they are forced to use a transfer or a zero-experience freshman at pg. I didn't see Fletcher on any lists of AA's . And while plenty on this board had serious doubts about NPOY Bueckers coming back from a relatively minor knee issue, they have no issues with Johnson (great promise) as vying for the starting pg spot. I guess an ACL is much less serious than a bone bruise. Never mind that Johnson has no experience as a college pg. Fudd was a question mark though, right? Some of those same people needed Bueckers to "show them something" before rating her. Frankly I think some of the posters here are Creme surrogates.
UConn loses the championship game and now Geno is expected to dismantle his entire philosophy and become a disciple of the Summitt/Staley theory of basketball? Summitt won 3 in a row in the 90's and Geno didn't change, but SCar wins one and you all sound like callers into sports talk radio. It's always the same, lose a big game and the fans want a new team and a new approach. Next it will be that Geno/Daley team is an anachronism and new blood is needed.

What ever happened to practicing and getting better? SCar lost to Stanford last year but I didn't see Dawn abandon her style. Has Tara announced that Stanford is becoming a guard-oriented team?

When UConn plays bulldozer basketball I will become a very casual fan.
You make good points. Dawn, of course did not abandon her style ( after missing the 2021 championship by the roll of the ball) because she has for seven years ( going on 8 ) had the most dominating BIG person in college Basketball. And she builds around that. Who wouldn't? And I will wager she tries to land the next Wilson/Boston as soon as one appears in HS. But it does take a scheme of some sort ( without such a player ) to beat South Carolina with Boston ( and Cardoza who is 6'7" ) at the core. I remember the days when Brittany Griner ( 6'8" ) dominated college ball, but the Aggies beat Baylor didn't they? Geno will find a way. If he can find a Tina Charles, he will always do that, won't he? Or Steph Golsen? That doesn't require a shift in BB that should turn you away. I fear the day when all the guards are of "magic" Johnson size, and everyone dunks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom