Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This girl has wicked skills.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, she's really, really good. If Durr picks UCONN, the Fat Lady will be warming up.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'll admit that I was on record on here as saying I wanted Brown more than Durr. That was before Butler committed and 2016 seems to be a good "post" year. My how the recruiting landscape changes things quickly. I now would want Durr more than Brown.

Having said that, I have some comments now in apprehension of the "Durr's #1, we gotta have her" mentality that undoubtedly will resurface over time. First, with recent recruiting events we already are set. We will have the best, most complete talent even if DeShields, Cooper and Durr all join Wilson and Coates at USC, which isn't a likely scenario anyways.

Second, there is nothing in this training video that I look for in my own mental list of what's needed for a UConn player. That's not to say Durr is lacking in anything, perhaps she has absolutely everything. But a player could have the uber skills that this video shows and not:

Shoot well in game situations (stats reveal Durr does shoot well, but not as well as others, like Samuelson or Boley)
Get teammates involved extremely well
Play through contact
Negotiate good college defenses
Think well on the fly
Has a "refuse to lose" attitude
Works at the hardest level (that workout is nothing compared to the ones she'll experience at UConn)

Furthermore, I don't think rating services weight these factors the way I would. Now Durr may possess all these in abundance. Either she or Samuelson (depending on whose opinion) were the best on last year's USA team. Yet she may not. I just wanted to get that out there before anyone gets on a ledge because we didn't get a #1, particularly after the recruiting success we've been having. Frankly, I'm almost embarrassed by our riches now .... though I'd gladly take Durr if she wants to come .... or Brown for that matter. I guess when it comes to recruiting I'm as greedy as the next person.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Digger - I have not seen her play except for a bit of the USA stuff last year, but ... I do listen to the 'experts' and they really really like her. Everything you say is true but could be applied to pretty much any recruit. Stewart with all her international experience and playing up in age group and Nurse with her senior national team experience are the two exceptions I can think of where there was a little bit of true upper level competition to go on.
I did find it very interesting that Arike Ogunbowale received an offer from Uconn as early as she did as she was just beginning to be noticed nationally. With Durr and her both out there and with the four guard/wings that we have coming in this year plus Chong I do wonder if Geno got one commitment if he would cool on the other. They are both very talented and pretty exciting players to watch. With Arike playing on the 3x3 with our other three 2015 recruits I wonder if she will be feeling any good natured pressure?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll admit that I was on record on here as saying I wanted Brown more than Durr. That was before Butler committed and 2016 seems to be a good "post" year. My how the recruiting landscape changes things quickly. I now would want Durr more than Brown.

Having said that, I have some comments now in apprehension of the "Durr's #1, we gotta have her" mentality that undoubtedly will resurface over time. First, with recent recruiting events we already are set. We will have the best, most complete talent even if DeShields, Cooper and Durr all join Wilson and Coates at USC, which isn't a likely scenario anyways.

Second, there is nothing in this training video that I look for in my own mental list of what's needed for a UConn player. That's not to say Durr is lacking in anything, perhaps she has absolutely everything. But a player could have the uber skills that this video shows and not:

Shoot well in game situations (stats reveal Durr does shoot well, but not as well as others, like Samuelson or Boley)
Play through contact
Think well on the fly
Works at the hardest level (that workout is nothing compared to the ones she'll experience at UConn)

Furthermore, I don't think rating services weight these factors the way I would. Now Durr may possess all these in abundance. Either she or Samuelson (depending on whose opinion) were the best on last year's USA team. Yet she may not. I just wanted to get that out there before anyone gets on a ledge because we didn't get a #1, particularly after the recruiting success we've been having. Frankly, I'm almost embarrassed by our riches now .... though I'd gladly take Durr if she wants to come .... or Brown for that matter. I guess when it comes to recruiting I'm as greedy as the next person.

Yah the last thing you should ever do is base your impression of a player on a hype tape.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll admit that I was on record on here as saying I wanted Brown more than Durr. That was before Butler committed and 2016 seems to be a good "post" year.
I'll admit I wanted Durr more than Brown. And that was before Butler committed.

Having said that, I have some comments now in apprehension of the "Durr's #1, we gotta have her" mentality that undoubtedly will resurface over time. First, with recent recruiting events we already are set.
Agree. UCONN has the players to beat anyone for the foreseeable future. (not guaranteeing they will, but they do have the players)

Play through contact
Think well on the fly
From what I've read and seen of her, she's the real deal. She may not be the real deal all the way to a Moore/Parker/DT/Stewart level, but she's the real deal in the Charles/Bird/Abrosimova level. She's the best player in the 2014/2015 and possibly the 2016 classes. (I haven't seen enough of the 2016 class to know yet for sure. Cox is really good too. )

Reaction Score
Didn't realize she is a lefty. Would be a great "get".

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If Durr joins Stewie, Moriah, Samuelson, Boykin, Collier, Nurse, et al. in Storrs, Geno should schedule tha Minnesota Lynx, LA Sparks, Seattle Storm, Connecticut Sun, Phoenix Mercury, and New York Liberty for OOC opponents.

U

UCONNfan1

If Durr joins Stewie, Moriah, Samuelson, Boykin, Collier, Nurse, et al. in Storrs, Geno should schedule tha Minnesota Lynx, LA Sparks, Seattle Storm, Connecticut Sun, Phoenix Mercury, and New York Liberty for OOC opponents.
All joking aside, it would be interesting to see how a team made up of those players would fare against the pros. If UCONN is so good that their only really challenge would be from a WNBA team, that does not bode well for the rest of women's basketball, for sure!

Would it be possible for UCONN to "scrimmage" against those teams? The WNBA ends mid August. I know players leave shortly after the season to head overseas, or wherever they go next. Could UCONN schedule a scrimmage against one of the teams NOT in the playoffs for early September? I doubt very much the Sun are going to the playoffs this season - would be embarrassing for them to lose to UCONN, but fun for fans (who knows - maybe the Sun would win...)

Back to the OP topic, that kid has mad skillz. You can tell she's a UCONN type player by watching everything about her. Pretty amazing...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All joking aside, I doubt very much the Sun are going to the playoffs this season - would be embarrassing for them to lose to UCONN, but fun for fans (who knows - maybe the Sun would win...)

Not with Ann Donovan coaching.

Reaction Score
There are some videos of Durr on Youtube and after watching some of them I can't stop thinking that she reminds me of O Sims. Excellent ball handler, likes to drive the lane and likes to shoot. Didn't see much passing in any of the videos so I'm assuming she plays SG.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All joking aside, it would be interesting to see how a team made up of those players would fare against the pros. If UCONN is so good that their only really challenge would be from a WNBA team, that does not bode well for the rest of women's basketball, for sure!

Would it be possible for UCONN to "scrimmage" against those teams? The WNBA ends mid August. I know players leave shortly after the season to head overseas, or wherever they go next. Could UCONN schedule a scrimmage against one of the teams NOT in the playoffs for early September? I doubt very much the Sun are going to the playoffs this season - would be embarrassing for them to lose to UCONN, but fun for fans (who knows - maybe the Sun would win...)

Back to the OP topic, that kid has mad skillz. You can tell she's a UCONN type player by watching everything about her. Pretty amazing...
The only time something like that might happen would be with a team that did a European trip - otherwise they are just getting started when the W is packing their bags. And really as soon as a team is eliminated from playoffs the players pack bags and head overseas so it will not happen. And a college team, even one of Geno's best would get blown out by the pros - it would be like taking the best players from Uconn over a ten year period and pitting them against the current team.
What has happened is scrimmages against National teams prior to Olympics and or WCs and I could see Geno trying to put something like that together against the Canadian team during Nurse's four years if the timing worked out.
Speaking of European trips - isn't Uconn due for one pretty soon - it has been a while. I know the NCAA only allows a trip every 'x' years, can't remember how frequently.

Reaction Score
First, with recent recruiting events we already are set. We will have the best, most complete talent even if DeShields, Cooper and Durr all join Wilson and Coates at USC, which isn't a likely scenario anyways.

In that scenario (admittedly unlikely) I would definitely favor USC head to head vs UConn in 2017. They could have four of the top ten players at that point, although DeShields might be a stretch. UConn would be deeper but ask ND how important that turned out to be.

Would still favor UConn decisively next two years and 2018 too far out to call.

HGN

Reaction Score
Geez.........She is good. Very talented. From the YouTube videos and watching the Training video , if Durr joins UConn's 2015 recruiting class coupled with UConn's 2014 recruiting class , UConn could win the next 2-3 NC's in a row. That group would be just that good.

Hopefully Asia Durr gives UConn the nod.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There are some videos of Durr on Youtube and after watching some of them I can't stop thinking that she reminds me of O Sims. Excellent ball handler, likes to drive the lane and likes to shoot. Didn't see much passing in any of the videos so I'm assuming she plays SG.
Yea, that's who she reminds me of also. I think she might play the PG, but really is a 2 at heart. But Sims was considered a PG also so???? Either way just get her out on the floor and good things will happen.

Durr's pullup jumper is probably the best I've ever seen (female), and she has a step back jumper too that only a handful of female players even attempt.

Reaction Score
It's hard to get excited watching those cut n' paste PR videos, but I did take notice when she didn't have much trouble touching the rim.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's hard to get excited watching those cut n' paste PR videos, but I did take notice when she didn't have much trouble touching the rim.
You'll have to show us your dribbling skills at some point... :)

Reaction Score
It's basically a publicity stunt.
I'd rather see a video showing her game skills.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The one highlights vid of a recruit that impressed me was one of MoJet. It was her ball skills that jumped out because I assume that on a highlight film, kids make 100% of their shots, but you can't exaggerate ball handling. She was breaking kids ankles.

Reaction Score
She's legit. She was the leading scorer and MVP on the USA u16 team that also had Samuelson, Cox. Boykin and Brown on it despite playing only 20 minutes a game. IMO her rating is accurate. Certainly among the top 5 if not #1 in the class of 2015. What's interesting is who tried out for the team and didn't make it. (I.E. Boley, Cooper, Jekot, McCoy). Though most of those players are from a younger class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom