As advertised. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wade hasn't been Wade since the Pacers series ended. I think his style of play and injuries have taken a toll on him. Maybe he'll turn it around, though; who knows.

As to Durant/James, I agree with Walker11 (as usual). It's funny, every NBA postseason, people's opinions change from game to game. Now Durant's the best player in the NBA? No, he's the best scorer in the NBA. If the game's tied and you need to score, nobody's better. He's not an overall better player than LeBron. LeBron also plays defense, for one thing, and is a terrific passer. But man is Durant fun to watch. Wow.

Reaction Score
Let's play this game.

If you swap Lebron and KD right now and put Bron Bron on OKC and KD on the Heat, who wins this series?
That's kind of a waste of time at this point, we don't know who wins with them on their current teams?! Plus LeBron won the MVP award, don't need to convince every single person or even every MVP voter that he's the MVP because... HE IS. Three times over no less. Durant doesn't have an MVP yet and even if he wins the Finals MVP that doesn't mean he's better than LeBron, much like no one argued that Dirk Nowitzki is better than LeBron - Dirk just happened to play better and be a more valuable piece in last year's Finals.

FWIW I think you could replace Durant with say Kobe and OKC would be just as good (so Durant has 1 comp) BUT only the Durant and LeBron swap puts both teams in the Finals (meaning Miami would need Durant as only possible replacement without major dropoff) and the outcome is TBD much like the current outcome.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Wade hasn't been Wade since the Pacers series ended. I think his style of play and injuries have taken a toll on him. Maybe he'll turn it around, though; who knows.

As to Durant/James, I agree with Walker11 (as usual). It's funny, every NBA postseason, people's opinions change from game to game. Now Durant's the best player in the NBA? No, he's the best scorer in the NBA. If the game's tied and you need to score, nobody's better. He's not an overall better player than LeBron. LeBron also plays defense, for one thing, and is a terrific passer. But man is Durant fun to watch. Wow.

Durant is a terrific passer too.

Reaction Score
LeBron also plays defense, for one thing, and is a terrific passer.
Durant has actually developed into a good defender (although he can't guard LeBron 1-on-1) and a good passer. Unlike last year, there are no real holes in his game anymore.

I still think LeBron is better because he's good-to-great at so many things, but there's something to be said for Durant being the best 4th quarter player in the game. I just think the gap between the two becomes very small if Durant is able to lead his team to a championship at age 23.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
KD was insane. He hit pretty much every shot that exists, with all types of defensive contest. He has THE entire array of shots, and he did most of it in the 4th quarter. LBJ is turning out to be way too one-sided. Like I said, if OKC would force him to take jump shots they would win.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a great series too. However, I won't get to see most of it live. Games are tipping at like 9:15 and end around midnight. I know we used to (and still do) hear the same thing about baseball. But, kids won't stay up that late to watch these games given the start time. It's too bad too because the talent on the floor is really amazing. And OKC has all young guys!

Reaction Score
Frustrating last couple of games to be rooting for OKC. I think its clear they have the better and more talented team but they are getting 1. Out-coached, 2. out-willed and 3. playing dumb/choking a bit.

On 3. how does Miami suddenly shoot 90% from the line (I understand LeBron stepping up) and freaking Battier is +70% on 3's?!

Leads me to #1 though, they simply cannot continue to play their big lineup with both Perkins and Ibaka b/c even though it gives them a rebounding edge neither guy consistently (Perkins not at all) scores inside and it is KILLING them on defense. Ibaka's strenght as a shotblocker turns to a negative when he has to cover Battier. Ibaka or Perkins should only cover Bosh, Haslem or whatever other lame big man Miami puts out there. The two OKC bigs cannot take advantage of their mismatches inside so its always a matter of time before Miami takes advantage on the offensive end. Brooks is scared to make an adjustment.

LeBron has simply been tremendous and is channeling confidence into his teammates. Meanwhile Durant and Westbrook have made some mistakes and after those two other than Fischer I don't think anyone for OKC is having a 'good' series (maybe Collison, but 1 good performance and 2 eh's). Harden has had 2/3 bad games (fix TWO problems at once, play Harden-Durant-Ibaka against the Bron-Bosh-Battier frontcourt and either Durant or Harden will be quicker and able to exploit Battier - PPierce was quicker than Battier!!).

Hopefully we are due for the officials to veer away from their pro-Miami calls of the last two games (there just can't be ticky tack calls on KD and its ok to breathe on Wade - Harden foul last night) and that refuels OKC's confidence.

But the biggest thing is Scott Brooks has to be willing to make adjustments otherwise LeBron, oops I mean Spoelstra is going to get credit for outcoaching their opponent.

Reaction Score
Scott Brooks is being exposed on a national level for what the NBA freak already knew... he's a horrible coach.

i'm not one to really blame coaching, i think the coach has very little impact on the game and the top talent will almost always play out. but the one thing a coach does have an impact on is substitution patterns and rotations.

taking out Westbrook and watching a 10 point lead turn into a 2 point defecit and never putting him back in the game was 100% inexcusable. i was screaming at my TV for him to put the guy back in the game and i'm rooting for Miami. on top of that he played Derek Fisher 28 minutes and Ibaka 22 minutes. Ibaka is the runner up for DPOY, thats simply not going to cut it.

he's been crushed all season for his rotations but last night he put the ball in Harden's hands and gave him the keys for that last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter and it completely crushed OKC's momentum and gave the game to Miami. I could see doing that if Harden was playing well but he wasn't and had another really poor game.

and when he was assked about it after the game he said something along the lines of 'i took him out like i always do and immediately put him right back in the game' we have different definitions of 'immediately.

Reaction Score
Scott Brooks is being exposed on a national level for what the NBA freak already knew... he's a horrible coach.

i'm not one to really blame coaching, i think the coach has very little impact on the game and the top talent will almost always play out. but the one thing a coach does have an impact on is substitution patterns and rotations.

taking out Westbrook and watching a 10 point lead turn into a 2 point defecit and never putting him back in the game was 100% inexcusable. i was screaming at my TV for him to put the guy back in the game and i'm rooting for Miami. on top of that he played Derek Fisher 28 minutes and Ibaka 22 minutes. Ibaka is the runner up for DPOY, thats simply not going to cut it.

he's been crushed all season for his rotations but last night he put the ball in Harden's hands and gave him the keys for that last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter and it completely crushed OKC's momentum and gave the game to Miami. I could see doing that if Harden was playing well but he wasn't and had another really poor game.

and when he was assked about it after the game he said something along the lines of 'i took him out like i always do and immediately put him right back in the game' we have different definitions of 'immediately.

Spot on, Westbrook was out of control in that stretch immediately after Durant went to the bench with his 4th foul but that is what timeouts are for, you don't pull him for that long and leave only one scorer/creator in Harden when he didn't have it in this game himself. No way should Fisher be playing the amount of minutes he's been getting in this series, especially when he's coming down the floor and attempting 3 pointers in transition as if he's a star player. Don't understand why Ibaka's minutes are being limited the way they are, I understand that Battier is drawing him out of the paint but when OKC goes "small", Ibaka should be seeing time at the C spot over Perkins. Perkins's only strenght as a player is his ability to defend the post, and that's being completely negated since Miami doesn't have one guy that they go to to play with their back to the basket. Both Ibaka and Collison are better options at C in this series over Perkins.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Frustrating last couple of games to be rooting for OKC. I think its clear they have the better and more talented team but they are getting 1. Out-coached, 2. out-willed and 3. playing dumb/choking a bit.

Definitely agree that OKC has been out-played and out-coached these past two games, as well as showing some immaturity. The Heat have come through with the winning formula (LeBron A game and at least B+ from Wade, plus added support from Bosh and Battier), and their experience is showing. Even though last night was closer than Game 2, I still almost had the feeling that OKC was mailing it in and counting on a loss, even when they still had the lead. That's inexcusable.

taking out Westbrook and watching a 10 point lead turn into a 2 point defecit and never putting him back in the game was 100% inexcusable.

Agreed. That was the biggest head-scratcher of all for me, and there were plenty.

Reaction Score
Scott Brooks didn't put KD in foul trouble.

no but he put Westbrook in it and Westbrook didn't even have to get the fouls.

as i said earlier, the players win and lose games. but when you make blatant errors like Brooks did, he deserves some critcism.

Reaction Score
The only game I saw was game two -- it sucked.

Poor play, no lead changes (zero), and of course, questionable officiating. This will be an average finals at best.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

Poor play, no lead changes (zero), and of course, questionable officiating. This will be an average finals at best.
You must just hate the heat, because I guarantee you that you wouldn't have complained when we beat SDSU '11 if there were no lead changes

Reaction Score

its doing the biggest ratings in NBA history... good call.

Reaction Score
Miami has out toughed OKC so far. People don't seem to give Miami credit for being tough, or for being a defensive team, but they are and OKC had better start responding. As for any mismatches that the OKC big men may have, I don't see it. Bosh has had far more of an impact on this series than any of the OKC big guys have, which is probably as it should be as he is a lot better than those guys. I do agree that the small lineup of Miami is giving them problems, but I am not sure how OKC should adjust to it.

Reaction Score
Who here or in the media has mentioned anything about OKC having an advantage inside? It's pretty much acknowledged everywhere that they don't have a low post threat.

Miami has out toughed OKC so far. People don't seem to give Miami credit for being tough, or for being a defensive team, but they are and OKC had better start responding. As for any mismatches that the OKC big men may have, I don't see it. Bosh has had far more of an impact on this series than any of the OKC big guys have, which is probably as it should be as he is a lot better than those guys. I do agree that the small lineup of Miami is giving them problems, but I am not sure how OKC should adjust to it.

Reaction Score
Who here or in the media has mentioned anything about OKC having an advantage inside? It's pretty much acknowledged everywhere that they don't have a low post threat.

A couple of posts up, there was something about it. I probably should have been more specific in who i was responding to.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
its doing the biggest ratings in NBA history... good call.
I actually haven't had a chance to watch any of the first 3 games unfortunately, but I don't think you can point to ratings as a reason why this is an amazing series. If LeBron wasn't involved in this series and it was the greatest series in NBA history, the first 4 games probably wouldn't be setting any records for ratings. People are tuning in hoping to see LeBron lose. The series could be the worst series ever with 4 blowout wins by OKC and people would watch it and eat it up.

Again, this isn't meant to say that this series has been poorly played by any means. I haven't seen any of the games. I just know that people were pointing to the ratings for the Boston series and saying the same thing and I watched every game of that series and found myself generally bored.

Reaction Score
As much as I love KD, no comparison to Lebron as an overall player. I don't think there is a coach in the league that would start a team with KD over Lebron. Lebron is about as well balanced a player as we'll see. Will give him the advantage on scoring the basketball given Durant has a terrific jumper that he can shoot over just about anyone, but Lebron gets to the rim so much easier given his strength and gets the higher percentage shot. Watching this series and pulling for the Thunder, I always feel like Lebron is unstoppable unless he settles for a jumper. He ripped a loose ball back to himself after getting stripped under the rim surrounded by 3 Thunder on sheer strength - found that amazing. It will be interesting to see what direction this series goes in from here - the Heat have had some anomolies going for them, free throw shooting and guys like Battier going off. They have the karma right now - both teams have shown the ability to bounce back and turn it on when it matters. Game 4 critical for the Thunder - let's see if they can go out there an take it. I would not want to go into a game 5 down 3-1 with the Heat salivating trying to wrap it up at home and put away all the naysayers.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
As much as I love KD, no comparison to Lebron as an overall player. I don't think there is a coach in the league that would start a team with KD over Lebron.

Let's see what KD can do when he's spent 9 years in the NBA like LeBron has.

Reaction Score
As much as I love KD, no comparison to Lebron as an overall player. I don't think there is a coach in the league that would start a team with KD over Lebron. Lebron is about as well balanced a player as we'll see. Will give him the advantage on scoring the basketball given Durant has a terrific jumper that he can shoot over just about anyone, but Lebron gets to the rim so much easier given his strength and gets the higher percentage shot. Watching this series and pulling for the Thunder, I always feel like Lebron is unstoppable unless he settles for a jumper. He ripped a loose ball back to himself after getting stripped under the rim surrounded by 3 Thunder on sheer strength - found that amazing. It will be interesting to see what direction this series goes in from here - the Heat have had some anomolies going for them, free throw shooting and guys like Battier going off. They have the karma right now - both teams have shown the ability to bounce back and turn it on when it matters. Game 4 critical for the Thunder - let's see if they can go out there an take it. I would not want to go into a game 5 down 3-1 with the Heat salivating trying to wrap it up at home and put away all the naysayers.
They are different players for sure and overall LeBron is a much better man-on-man defender (Durant gets some defensive boost as better shotblocker), better rebounder and much better assist/passer. But I definitely think given their ages and LeBron's baggage plenty of coaches/GM's would pick Durant starting with Scott Brooks obviously and some other western foes. LeBron would be the overwhelming first choice though, just not a total nob-brainer because he is older AND he has the decision/fame/coach undermining history. All that said I'd pick LeBron unless I were a team like the Bobcats, Toronto etc.. and years away from contending.

I absolutely think this series is going 7 games and much like the over-Thunder reaction from game 1 right now the Heat are at their zenith. In terms of the Durant-LeBron matchup though key next step is can Durant avoid the whistle as that has absolutely submarined his team in the past two games. If it happens again LeBron takes a decisive step past him in the matchup. But for these reasons I think Durant and the Thunder get way more favorable whistles in game 4 cuz its the NBA and its going 7 games.

Reaction Score
It's always funny to see the knee-jerk reactions from the media and fans with nearly every game in the playoffs. Just two weeks ago, the Spurs were the best team since the 96 Bulls and they were going to destroy everybody in their path. After game one, the only question was whether the Thunder would win eight of the next ten championships or eleven out of the next fifteen. Two Heat victories, and this thing is going to be over in five because Westbrook sucks and Scott Brooks can't coach. Amazing how the narrative changes with every game.

It's important to remember that players and teams build their reputations over the course of weeks and months, not individual games. Just two weeks ago, Scott Brooks outcoached Greg Popovich, arguably the best coach of our generation, in the Western Conference Finals. I wouldn't make the argument that he's the best coach in the league, but I think it's a bit silly to act as if he's the reason the Thunder are down in this series. The Thunder are down in this series because they haven't seen a defense as physical and as athletic as Miami's yet. LeBron is pushing Durant off his spots, and as a result Westbrook is getting destroyed in the media because he has to take the ball to the hoop himself. James Harden has also strangely disappeared from two of the first three games, and LeBron James is proving he is the best player in the world. With all that said, the Thunder could easily be up 2-1, or even 3-0, if it weren't for the no-call on Durant at the end of game two and Durant's BS fourth foul in the third quarter of game three.

The first three games have done nothing to change my opinion that the Thunder are the better team. They have two rim protectors in Perkins and Ibaka, three deadly offensive weapons, and a lockdown perimter defender in Thabo Sefolosha. I will admit that Spoestra has outcoached Brooks thus far, however, I see no reason Brooks can't adjust, much like he did in the previous series when the Thunder fell behind 2-0 to the Spurs. The two big lineup clearly is not working for the Thunder, because much like we saw with our UConn team this year, you're at a disadvantage when you have two big men who can't guard the perimeter and also cannot take advantage of mis-matches on the inside due to a lack of skill. As much as I hate to admit, Battier has been the x-factor in this series because he's pulled Ibaka and Perkins away from the rim with his unconscious three point shooting. Hopefully, that will stop. If not, the Thunder need to go with the lineup I've been screaming for them to use all postseason: Westbrook, Harden, Sefolosha, Durant, and Ibaka. This way Durant can guard Battier and stay out of foul trouble, Sefolosha can guard LeBron, and Ibaka can neutralize Bosh. Offensively, the floor is spread because of the capabilities of Harden, Westbrook, and Durant, and you have a 40% three point shooter in Sefolosha and a big man who can hit outside jumpshots in Ibaka.

With all that said, I still expect, and have expected the Heat to win this series because LeBron is the best player since MJ, and he's simply not going to go home this season without a ring. As for the Durant/LeBron debate, I think LeBron is the better player as I stated, but I would easily pick Durant if I had to start a team. Durant is almost as good as LeBron, he's a better scorer, and he's four years younger, which makes a huge difference. It's very much a possibility that both of these two go down as top ten players of all-time when it's all set and done.

Reaction Score
Perkins isn't a rim protector, and him being played so many minutes in a series in which he serves no purpose is one of the reasons Brooks's coaching is being called out. What he did against Popovich is irrelevant when he's making moves this series to put his team at a disadvantage. Perkins is a low post defender, Miami has no post game, so there's really no reason why he should play when he doesn't rebound, doesn't score, and doesn't block shots. If you're going to go small like the Thunder have done Ibaka or Collison need to be their main bigs since they can offer you more than what Perk can do, mainly shotblocking(Ibaka), hitting an open jumper(Ibaka), and being able to convert a wide open dunk instead of traveling and then mean mugging the refs afterwards like that slouch Perk does on a consisten basis.

It's always funny to see the knee-jerk reactions from the media and fans with nearly every game in the playoffs. Just two weeks ago, the Spurs were the best team since the 96 Bulls and they were going to destroy everybody in their path. After game one, the only question was whether the Thunder would win eight of the next ten championships or eleven out of the next fifteen. Two Heat victories, and this thing is going to be over in five because Westbrook sucks and Scott Brooks can't coach. Amazing how the narrative changes with every game.

It's important to remember that players and teams build their reputations over the course of weeks and months, not individual games. Just two weeks ago, Scott Brooks outcoached Greg Popovich, arguably the best coach of our generation, in the Western Conference Finals. I wouldn't make the argument that he's the best coach in the league, but I think it's a bit silly to act as if he's the reason the Thunder are down in this series. The Thunder are down in this series because they haven't seen a defense as physical and as athletic as Miami's yet. LeBron is pushing Durant off his spots, and as a result Westbrook is getting destroyed in the media because he has to take the ball to the hoop himself. James Harden has also strangely disappeared from two of the first three games, and LeBron James is proving he is the best player in the world. With all that said, the Thunder could easily be up 2-1, or even 3-0, if it weren't for the no-call on Durant at the end of game two and Durant's BS fourth foul in the third quarter of game three.

The first three games have done nothing to change my opinion that the Thunder are the better team. They have two rim protectors in Perkins and Ibaka, three deadly offensive weapons, and a lockdown perimter defender in Thabo Sefolosha. I will admit that Spoestra has outcoached Brooks thus far, however, I see no reason Brooks can't adjust, much like he did in the previous series when the Thunder fell behind 2-0 to the Spurs. The two big lineup clearly is not working for the Thunder, because much like we saw with our UConn team this year, you're at a disadvantage when you have two big men who can't guard the perimeter and also cannot take advantage of mis-matches on the inside due to a lack of skill. As much as I hate to admit, Battier has been the x-factor in this series because he's pulled Ibaka and Perkins away from the rim with his unconscious three point shooting. Hopefully, that will stop. If not, the Thunder need to go with the lineup I've been screaming for them to use all postseason: Westbrook, Harden, Sefolosha, Durant, and Ibaka. This way Durant can guard Battier and stay out of foul trouble, Sefolosha can guard LeBron, and Ibaka can neutralize Bosh. Offensively, the floor is spread because of the capabilities of Harden, Westbrook, and Durant, and you have a 40% three point shooter in Sefolosha and a big man who can hit outside jumpshots in Ibaka.

With all that said, I still expect, and have expected the Heat to win this series because LeBron is the best player since MJ, and he's simply not going to go home this season without a ring. As for the Durant/LeBron debate, I think LeBron is the better player as I stated, but I would easily pick Durant if I had to start a team. Durant is almost as good as LeBron, he's a better scorer, and he's four years younger, which makes a huge difference. It's very much a possibility that both of these two go down as top ten players of all-time when it's all set and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom