Article: UConn’s Gabby Williams shows off expanded game in exhibition win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article: UConn’s Gabby Williams shows off expanded game in exhibition win

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I just did not see that much difference in Gabby's game. When she begins to make shots " consistently " from 15-18 ft., then she will make a big jump.
I agree 100%, she didn't anything differently than she did last year with the notable exception of making FT's.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Comparing current players with others seems to be a legitimate Boneyard exercise so let me take a turn.

The player that Gabby reminds me of most is Ashley Battle, a classmate of Diana (and Maria, Jessica, and Morgan I). She was never a prolific scorer (7-8 ppg) but a good rebounder for her size (about 5 per game). What she really was to her 3-NC team -- AB was a lock-down defender, for which she was often honored,

I categorize Gabby as a "swing," and expect her role to be early (maybe first) off the bench to provide a break for another swing (likely) or even a big or a wing. But most important, Geno can say "sic'em" and send her after most any opponent with a hot hand, then count on Gabby to cool her off. :)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I am somewhat mystified by the reluctance of many of my fellow fans to embrace all that Gabby brings to the lineup and the unique talents she displays. Sure, we all tend to think about offensive production before anything else in player evaluation, and want our favorite players to be scoring machines. Certainly, such players are needed on every successful team, but I think many fans and posters tend to overlook the extent to which basketball is a game where specific roles matter greatly. Everyone wants to focus on whether or not Gabby is hitting 15 ft. jumpers while under-emphasizing the fact that she is a rebounding ball hawk and plays super-high-energy, smothering defense. This team is not, and will not be, short on offensive statistics. I sometimes have trouble understanding how fans who were treated to all the gifts that a player like Kelly Faris brought to the table fail to fully appreciate how much "roles" matter in this game.
She brings intangibles that most players just done have because of their differences in athletic gifts- and she is fearless!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Comparing current players with others seems to be a legitimate Boneyard exercise so let me take a turn.

The player that Gabby reminds me of most is Ashley Battle, a classmate of Diana (and Maria, Jessica, and Morgan I). She was never a prolific scorer (7-8 ppg) but a good rebounder for her size (about 5 per game). What she really was to her 3-NC team -- AB was a lock-down defender, for which she was often honored,

I categorize Gabby as a "swing," and expect her role to be early (maybe first) off the bench to provide a break for another swing (likely) or even a big or a wing. But most important, Geno can say "sic'em" and send her after most any opponent with a hot hand, then count on Gabby to cool her off. :)
Great comparison Kibitzer! Ashley Battle was a phenomenal role player and a gifted athlete- lock down defender, Kalana Greene- like rebounder! I think Gabby gives us Ashley Battle with much more upside on the offensive end!!!

Reaction Score
She brings intangibles that most players just done have because of their differences in athletic gifts- and she is fearless!
Well, obviously, I agree, especially in terms of her aggressiveness on the defensive side. Fans somehow often forget to credit the importance of that factor in winning games. It's REALLY hard for teams to win in today's game if they cannot climb out of the 50's in scoring production. Last year, out of 41 games (including exhibitions), that only happened eight times. Even that statistic is quite misleading because, as might be expected when playing a team that led the country in M.O.V., lots of opponent's points came long after the outcomes were emphatically decided and first string players were sitting.. One time, and once only, an opponent got into the 80's, and we know what happened in that game (Stanford). So if a great role player like Gabby is doing her job shutting down opponent's offensive production, especially on the perimeter, a couple of missed 15 ft. jumpers looms way less important!

Reaction Score
Let me help you understand the fans that have you mystified. The applicable term is low BB IQ. :(
But those fans of which you speak, if they continue to participate on this forum, will remedy that problem. I don't know of a better place on the internet to improve one's BB IQ.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Well, obviously, I agree, especially in terms of her aggressiveness on the defensive side. Fans somehow often forget to credit the importance of that factor in winning games. It's REALLY hard for teams to win in today's game if they cannot climb out of the 50's in scoring production. Last year, out of 41 games (including exhibitions), that only happened eight times. Even that statistic is quite misleading because, as might be expected when playing a team that led the country in M.O.V., lots of opponent's points came long after the outcomes were emphatically decided and first string players were sitting.. One time, and once only, an opponent got into the 80's, and we know what happened in that game (Stanford). So if a great role player like Gabby is doing her job shutting down opponent's offensive production, especially on the perimeter, a couple of missed 15 ft. jumpers looms way less important!
You know BP- it was so obvious, the difference in her game- just the way she carried herself on the court. Then I finally read that article and Geno said the same thing! He's probably a pretty good judge! :)

Reaction Score
Gabby looked seasoned out there. She looked like she knew where she was supposed to be on both ends of the court. That wasn't always the case last year. She was nailing her foul shots and developed a beautiful soft stroke. She was hitting soft pull up jumpers. She played every second with a purpose. Snared every rebound near her. She was directing traffic and vocal with the freshmen out there. She was absolutely the brightest thing that we saw on the court- as far as the huge sophomore jump that we all hoped for. Morgan was 100% correct. Kia Nurse looks like a first team all American in my opinion. Her 3pt shots were going in before the ball left her hands. And the rest of her game with these pull up jumpers off the backboard- omg! She can finish at the hoop. She now is deadly on the pull up mid range jumper. And her three pt stroke looks automatic. Mo Jef was unreal, driving the hoop. And her 3 pt shooting is or was a last resort and lights out. Collier is a player already. Her body is ready to bang the bigs under the boards already. KLS handles the ball better than I imagined she would at 6-3". She was off on her 3 pt shooting obviously then drained a few. She's going to be something when she relaxes a nit. Nice release and seamed to be in the flow of the game pretty well too.
Lets not forget, Gabby was a GUARD in high school. She always had the talent to shoot from outside 3 feet and make free throws. It was a matter of confidence that held her back (?) last year. Hard to think of her play last year as being "held back", but there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom