Article on C.Vivian Stringer's future | The Boneyard

Article on C.Vivian Stringer's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't happen, but if I'm Rutgers, I buy out Vivian's last year and get a young dynamic head coach before joining the Big 10. Make a splash joining the new conference.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Kent makes the story come alive with his research and quotes; it's amazing how forthcoming people are if you ask.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
For a short article, a fair amount of substance. Wish there was more detail on CViv's attempts to apply pressure for a contract extension, and the quote by the unnamed prominent coach - very reminiscent of Bum Phillip's quote about Don Shula. One of the aspects mentioned in the article is the very high level of talent that CViv is able to recruit - without commiserate results. Not only do some of her apologists like to ignore that (one of the comments posted compares Harry Perretta & CViv, when there is no comparison in recruited talent), but CViv herself ignores it. She compares her programs' success to the men's BB team and the football team, when those teams neither have her relative talent nor the (relatively) thin competition.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Interesting. It is a much more succinct and documented version of the same discussion that occurred on the BY.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It is considered impossible to recruit in the men's game when you are entering the final year of a contract with no extension in sight. She might want to try hiring an aggressive agent instead of using her brother. (Assuming he only represents her, and is not a professional agent). Her recruiting is pretty dependent, IIRC, on local kids who want to play in front of family and friends and make easy road trips to NYC, etc. The B1G move may hurt that recruiting base a bit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is considered impossible to recruit in the men's game when you are entering the final year of a contract with no extension in sight. She might want to try hiring an aggressive agent instead of using her brother. (Assuming he only represents her, and is not a professional agent). Her recruiting is pretty dependent, IIRC, on local kids who want to play in front of family and friends and make easy road trips to NYC, etc. The B1G move may hurt that recruiting base a bit.
Just look at the difficulty Ollie had in nailing anyone down when he only had the 1 year contract (of course, the men's team was still reeling from APR loss of schollies and sanctions due to recruiting violations, but the 1 year contract didn't help)...

BTW without saying it, the writer points out her "mentor" Chaney is a complete loon. The article says she has 6 McD AA's, many more than Baylor or ND, but then quotes Chaney with "she doesn't have top talent and that some of her assistants should be fired." Brilliant writing calling him a dope without actually having to write it.

"Many of her woes are her own doing. She has played a Hank Iba/John Chaney offense throughout her coaching career and in the process has accumulated some head scratching losses. Her offense has at its foundation her defensive pressure. One individual close to her program has said that the offensive drills don't begin in earnest until mid-November, about the same time the season is to start."

Even casual fans have noted that RU's offense stinks. But a HOF coach can't learn and figure it out? She's either a complete moron (doubtful) or far too stubborn and proud to change and realize there are better ways of running offense.

I actually hope they miss the NCAA's and her contract isn't extended. That she thinks she deserves it based on her performances on the court shows she's delusional and out of touch with reality. Time for her to go. I just hope the administration has the guts to help her out the door...

Reaction Score
Less with more
I hope they keep her
and her no offense finally
catches up with her
and we get someone who
otherwise goes to RUTGERS
It blows me away that kids
continue to let recruiters at
Rutgers suck them in
AMAZING
IRA

Reaction Score
Just look at the difficulty Ollie had in nailing anyone down when he only had the 1 year contract (of course, the men's team was still reeling from APR loss of schollies and sanctions due to recruiting violations, but the 1 year contract didn't help)...

BTW without saying it, the writer points out her "mentor" Chaney is a complete loon. The article says she has 6 McD AA's, many more than Baylor or ND, but then quotes Chaney with "she doesn't have top talent and that some of her assistants should be fired." Brilliant writing calling him a dope without actually having to write it.

"Many of her woes are her own doing. She has played a Hank Iba/John Chaney offense throughout her coaching career and in the process has accumulated some head scratching losses. Her offense has at its foundation her defensive pressure. One individual close to her program has said that the offensive drills don't begin in earnest until mid-November, about the same time the season is to start."

Even casual fans have noted that RU's offense stinks. But a HOF coach can't learn and figure it out? She's either a complete moron (doubtful) or far too stubborn and proud to change and realize there are better ways of running offense.

I actually hope they miss the NCAA's and her contract isn't extended. That she thinks she deserves it based on her performances on the court shows she's delusional and out of touch with reality. Time for her to go. I just hope the administration has the guts to help her out the door...
Richard Kent has had a problem with Vivian for quite a few years now, so I take what he says with a grain of salt. We may have 6 McDonald's All Americans, but if the measurement of success means the team with the most McDonald's AA's is expected to win the National Championship every year, then UConn is underachieving too. You have the highest ranked McD's AA's over the last several years. IMO success requires team chemistry and a talented go to player (or players if you are fortunate enough to have more than one). RU does not have a go to player this year. Rushdan was the last one we had and she was not at the level of Prince or Pondexter. Plus she was injured frequently and played hurt for much of her career.

CViv's offense has never been a thing of beauty, but it can be good enough with the right mix of players. It requires good guard play, which we don't have at the moment. She actually has tried to get them to play more up tempo, but they aren't executing well - bad passing, poor shooting. A few season's ago, she brought in Harry Peretta to teach the team his style of offense. She may be stubborn, but I don't think she is delusional. She has said that this year's product has not been good. Not renewing someone's contract based on "what have you done for me lately" is the norm in sports, but is hard to accept that your body of work shouldn't count for something.

I also think it is silly to blame Vivian for John Chaney's remarks. He was her mentor, but that does not mean that she is emulating him. That would be akin to saying that Coach K is emulating Bobby Knight.

I truly hope the administration does not push her out the door, but you might not be as happy as you think if they do. They might hire Chris Dailey.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Richard Kent has had a problem with Vivian for quite a few years now, so I take what he says with a grain of salt. We may have 6 McDonald's All Americans, but if the measurement of success means the team with the most McDonald's AA's is expected to win the National Championship every year, then UConn is underachieving too. You have the highest ranked McD's AA's over the last several years. IMO success requires team chemistry and a talented go to player (or players if you are fortunate enough to have more than one). RU does not have a go to player this year. Rushdan was the last one we had and she was not at the level of Prince or Pondexter. Plus she was injured frequently and played hurt for much of her career.

CViv's offense has never been a thing of beauty, but it can be good enough with the right mix of players. It requires good guard play, which we don't have at the moment. She actually has tried to get them to play more up tempo, but they aren't executing well - bad passing, poor shooting. A few season's ago, she brought in Harry Peretta to teach the team his style of offense. She may be stubborn, but I don't think she is delusional. She has said that this year's product has not been good. Not renewing someone's contract based on "what have you done for me lately" is the norm in sports, but is hard to accept that your body of work shouldn't count for something.

I also think it is silly to blame Vivian for John Chaney's remarks. He was her mentor, but that does not mean that she is emulating him. That would be akin to saying that Coach K is emulating Bobby Knight.

I truly hope the administration does not push her out the door, but you might not be as happy as you think if they do. They might hire Chris Dailey.
LOL. I respect your opinion and defense of Stringer, but if you think Dailey ever leaves UCONN before Geno is done, you are woefully misinformed.

And i wasn't blaming her for Chaney's comments. I was actually pointing out that Chaney's comments were moronic. And let's be honest. being ranked #3 in the country is a far cry compared to a team with 6 AA's not even making the NCAA's.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm with ScarletB here. During games you can hear CVS telling the players to push the ball, and shoot.

The CVS bashing is getting pretty old too. No wonder she blew up at the media a few weeks back.

Are we having a bad year? Yes. But it hasn't been the worse during CVS's time at RU.

We have a lot of talent. But we don't have good mature guard play, we don't have a go-to scorer either. I believe Stringer meant for Canty to be that player this year but since she hasn't been completely healthy since she came to RU that hasn't happened. We'll see next season.

I don't see CVS going anywhere until she decides, so therefore all her haters are going to be disappointed. ;)

Reaction Score
LOL. I respect your opinion and defense of Stringer, but if you think Dailey ever leaves UCONN before Geno is done, you are woefully misinformed.

And i wasn't blaming her for Chaney's comments. I was actually pointing out that Chaney's comments were moronic. And let's be honest. being ranked #3 in the country is a far cry compared to a team with 6 AA's not even making the NCAA's.
You are right that being ranked #3 is a far cry from not making the NCAA tournament, but I was just trying to make a point that using the criteria of having the most McD AA's should determine your level of success wasn't the best. Perhaps I should have made this argument instead. Of our 6 McD AA's - 2 are injured and can't play at all (Canty and Lee) 1 is injured and can play limited minutes (Oliver) and 1 is injured and playing through it (Wheeler). That leaves us with 2 who are healthy - Laney (soph) and Copper (frosh). He compared us to Baylor (6 AA's - all healthy) and ND (4 AA's - all healthy), stating that we have a lot more AA's. I guess he didn't do his homework, or can't count. (By the way, Uconn has 9 AA's -8 healthy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom