Arod likely to be suspended according to ESPN | The Boneyard

Arod likely to be suspended according to ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Along with Ryan Braun and quite a few others. Hal Steinbrenner said today that he was disappointed in Arod so the Yankees may already know something. Rumor is 100 games after he comes off the DL. The Yankees will save some bucks and may even be able fight Arod's contract.
The players were involved with a Miami clinic.

Reaction Score
Ryan Braun.......I can't believe it??? :eek:.....he thought he pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.......what a cheating duckk.......so happy they got him!!

Again, big sham nonetheless by baseball, missing so many others who are still out there banging the ball around!! Who really gives a crap, accept it every team has half of their players using something!! Chris Davis is suddenly The Natural right?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Cano.....for what?

Maybe he will get the Ortiz Treatment....get caught but have the entire media act lime it never happened.

Reaction Score
Cano.....for what?

Maybe he will get the Ortiz Treatment....get caught but have the entire media act lime it neer happened.

For the past two years a few twitter folks in the media have suggested Cano's suspensions for PED's was imminent...which proved to be incorrect.

But I believe in the past few months a representative of some charitable foundation of his has been listed in the clinics books...which lead some to believe that Cano was using this person as a go between to acquire the PED's.

Who knows if this ends up being true or not (we'll find out in the next week or two when the guy officially sits down with MLB and spills the beans.)

Reaction Score
Cano.....for what?

Maybe he will get the Ortiz Treatment....get caught but have the entire media act lime it never happened.

For what it's worth regarding the 2003 test results, 13 of the 104 players on "THE LIST" tested inconclusive, not positive. Ortiz was one of those 13.

Reaction Score
Along with Ryan Braun and quite a few others. Hal Steinbrenner said today that he was disappointed in Arod so the Yankees may already know something. Rumor is 100 games after he comes off the DL. The Yankees will save some bucks and may even be able fight Arod's contract.
The players were involved with a Miami clinic.
I find it hard to believe there would be precedent set where if a player tests positive for something, the entire contract is essentially vaporized. I would think the MLBPA would fight tooth and nail to prevent that.

Reaction Score
The yanks are on the hook for the rest of that contract barring a lifetime ban.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth regarding the 2003 test results, 13 of the 104 players on "THE LIST" tested inconclusive, not positive. Ortiz was one of those 13.

Inconclusive but not "Not Guilty" as charged.....admit it he's a user, most from the DR are w/o stereotyping. Funny how the Sox fans wanted to hammer the ole Yanks who won some titles with Andy, Roger, ARod etc but won't admit to Damon, Papi, Manny and how many others on the 2004 team? Heck wasn't the SS (forget his name he was such a stiff prior) who won the batting title having the career year? Hmmmmmmm...........

Not just pointing to the Sox but it just shows how baseball has been riddled with this stuff for so long the truth is we have no idea how good anyone is anymore........is this guy a career minor leaguer if he's not using or is he really pretty good? No one knows........tough to love the game like I did when I was playing whiffle ball as a kid wanting to be all of them!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This isn't America? He hasn't even been charged.

This is baseball, not a court of law. They are bound by the collective bargaining agreement and there is probably a proponderance of evidence, as circumstantial as it may be if tried in a court of law.

THis svcks regardless, I picked Ryan Braun with the 2nd pick in my fantasy league. There is still a chance nothing happens but I think they are screwed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is baseball, not a court of law. They are bound by the collective bargaining agreement and there is probably a proponderance of evidence, as circumstantial as it may be if tried in a court of law.

I was talking about Papi.

Husky25

Reaction Score
First let me make my stance clear. It was/is the steriod era. both pitchers and position players had access and opportunity, so I believe the playing field was in fact level. Nothing would surprise me in terms of who took performance enhancing drugs (Not just 'roids, but greenies, and HGH). Anphetamines have been around forever, and rumor has it that Hank Aaron popped them from time to time. Also, I find it difficult to fathom that Micky Mantle didn't have something other than coffee to recover from his infamous nightly lifestyle.

David Ortiz was accused and addressed those accusations. He is not on the list of 20 and was not suspended back in the day, so I don't understand what the issue is. To what do you want Red Sox fans to admit? Okay there potentially is a possibility that a chance ocurred where Ortiz (or other suspected Sox player) may have inadvertently suggested that he could, if he wanted to, be in the same area where something salacious may allegedly have taken place and taken part.

Damon was exonerated.

Clemens was outed by his former best friend and teammate as well as other teammates. Pettite and Knoblauch admitted to using PEDs. (In hindsight Knobby would have been better served with Tom Emansky's defensive drills video.).

I have no illusions about Manny. But he never tested positive as a Red Sox player and is currently serving a suspension (Actually his suspension is suspended until he is signed by an MLB team again.)

I'm interested to understand which SS you refer to. Orlando Cabrera (All Star with the Expos prior to be traded for by the Sox)? Nomar (there is a reasonable suspicion)? John Valentin (game up as a Sox was fair, never a stiff)? Jeff Frye (Always a stiff, never very good)? Who is it?

Reaction Score
I'm interested to understand which SS you refer to. Orlando Cabrera (All Star with the Expos prior to be traded for by the Sox)? Nomar (there is a reasonable suspicion)? John Valentin (game up as a Sox was fair, never a stiff)? Jeff Frye (Always a stiff, never very good)? Who is it?
Of guys with no steroid 'convictions' I think Nomar has to be among the very highest probabilities as a user. The SI cover, his rise to powerhitter and subsequent precipitous fall and injury history represents a preponderance of evidence.

I think everyone including Yankee players, fans and ownership is rooting for this to be true and ARod to get suspended or banned. Other than that to me this story is kind of an "eh, tell me something I didn't know and do it with a little more positive evidence (ie a positive drug test)."

A big takeaway for me is that this actually proves that baseball's anti-PED efforts are still useless. They can't catch anyone with testing.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
First let me make my stance clear. It was/is the steriod era. both pitchers and position players had access and opportunity, so I believe the playing field was in fact level. Nothing would surprise me in terms of who took performance enhancing drugs (Not just 'roids, but greenies, and HGH). Anphetamines have been around forever, and rumor has it that Hank Aaron popped them from time to time. Also, I find it difficult to fathom that Micky Mantle didn't have something other than coffee to recover from his infamous nightly lifestyle.

David Ortiz was accused and addressed those accusations. He is not on the list of 20 and was not suspended back in the day, so I don't understand what the issue is. To what do you want Red Sox fans to admit? Okay there potentially is a possibility that a chance ocurred where Ortiz (or other suspected Sox player) may have inadvertently suggested that he could, if he wanted to, be in the same area where something salacious may allegedly have taken place and taken part.

Damon was exonerated.

Clemens was outed by his former best friend and teammate as well as other teammates. Pettite and Knoblauch admitted to using PEDs. (In hindsight Knobby would have been better served with Tom Emansky's defensive drills video.).

I have no illusions about Manny. But he never tested positive as a Red Sox player and is currently serving a suspension (Actually his suspension is suspended until he is signed by an MLB team again.)

Husky 25 - Not a jab at you but a response to a line that you used which I have heard way too many times "... the playing field was in fact level.."
I take exception to this line (again not directed personally to you) - If my team (I'm a Sox fan, but it works to every team at every level) had one single player or prospect trying to play "clean" - then the field is NOT level - We can debate on the % of players within all of Pro Baseball, but the fact remains, - If someone cheated and someone did not - then the field is skewed against the honest player.
When this view is expanded to include the minors (in which players strive to make the show, or worse to the colleges and youth leagues, the scarier quetion is not "what % are or have cheated" rather, what % feel like the only way to make it is to cheat? - And of those - how many are trading years off of their lives or risking their health.
Pandora's Box has been opened - PEDs cannot be "unhappened" - Sadly EVERY time a player puts up a monster season, questions will arise.

Reaction Score
The yanks are on the hook for the rest of that contract barring a lifetime ban.

The NY Times reported that if ARod retires, insurance will pick up a good portion of his remaining contract.

Reaction Score
The NY Times reported that if ARod retires, insurance will pick up a good portion of his remaining contract.
You've got to be kidding! Are you implying that Arod has a contract that requires him to be paid even if he retires? That makes no sense at all. I wish I had a contract like that. But then again, I never could hit a curve.:eek:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Husky 25 - Not a jab at you but a response to a line that you used which I have heard way too many times "... the playing field was in fact level.."
I take exception to this line (again not directed personally to you) - If my team (I'm a Sox fan, but it works to every team at every level) had one single player or prospect trying to play "clean" - then the field is NOT level - We can debate on the % of players within all of Pro Baseball, but the fact remains, - If someone cheated and someone did not - then the field is skewed against the honest player.
When this view is expanded to include the minors (in which players strive to make the show, or worse to the colleges and youth leagues, the scarier quetion is not "what % are or have cheated" rather, what % feel like the only way to make it is to cheat? - And of those - how many are trading years off of their lives or risking their health.
Pandora's Box has been opened - PEDs cannot be "unhappened" - Sadly EVERY time a player puts up a monster season, questions will arise.
I appreciate your attempt to soften the blow but truth be told, I very rarely take offense to posts on message boards. For one thing, I tend to believe that if one party personally attacks the other, the attacking party concedes the argument (For the record, I don't consider the above personal). Secondly, being that we are in an anonymous Internet forum, it says more about the attacking party than it does the attacked...

That said, I totally understand your point and I agree with the basic premise. My position is that this method of cheating was presumably available to all (That is at least that is what we are lead to believe. I do not believe the Red Sox were exempt from instances of cheating, despite no Sox player being named in the Mitchell report.). It is up to the player whether they take "advantage" of it.

Reaction Score
You've got to be kidding! Are you implying that Arod has a contract that requires him to be paid even if he retires? That makes no sense at all. I wish I had a contract like that. But then again, I never could hit a curve.:eek:

That can't be right can it.

If you retire---you don't get paid. Unless he REALLY has the best contract ever.

Reaction Score
Someone owes you in excess is $100 million....and you would retire? Ok

Reaction Score
Impossible that ARod gets paid if he chooses to retire. A legal contract requires an exchange of services and if ARod ain't playing there is nothing he can provide. Of course ironically providing nothing is preferable to both his current injured status and his recent performance.

Reaction Score
Inconclusive but not "Not Guilty" as charged.....admit it he's a user, most from the DR are w/o stereotyping. Funny how the Sox fans wanted to hammer the ole Yanks who won some titles with Andy, Roger, ARod etc but won't admit to Damon, Papi, Manny and how many others on the 2004 team? Heck wasn't the SS (forget his name he was such a stiff prior) who won the batting title having the career year? Hmmmmmmm...........
Why are you throwing Damon in there? Where in his career is the A-HA moment where you would point to him using? He was hitting 18 HR's as a 24 year old, years before he went to Boston. He may have used but I wouldn't put him at the top of any list.

I assume Ortiz at some point(s) of his career, but I thought I would bring facts to those who say that Ortiz tested positive. Technically he did not. He tested inconclusive.

I believe the SS you're referring to was actually 3B Bill Mueller. He won the batting title because he was lucky. He "only" hit .326. His lifetime batting average was actually .291. He was a pretty good player as long as his knees cooperated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Papi juiced. No sense pretending otherwise.

Of course, the one baseball player who I believe is the most egregious example of performance enhancement in the history of the sport...Kevin Elster.

He grew hooves and a tail halfway through that 1996 season.

Reaction Score
Why are you throwing Damon in there? Where in his career is the A-HA moment where you would point to him using? He was hitting 18 HR's as a 24 year old, years before he went to Boston. He may have used but I wouldn't put him at the top of any list.

I assume Ortiz at some point(s) of his career, but I thought I would bring facts to those who say that Ortiz tested positive. Technically he did not. He tested inconclusive.

I believe the SS you're referring to was actually 3B Bill Mueller. He won the batting title because he was lucky. He "only" hit .326. His lifetime batting average was actually .291. He was a pretty good player as long as his knees cooperated.

it's not the AHA moment it's the size difference on the man "suddenly"........not picking on his a Sox player but when he left Royals to A's (imagine with Joes?) he got huge.........he played for the Yanks too remember!! He was a user of something and there's no doubt and Papi still has the untraceable something like it or not.........to deny him as a user is laughable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom