Arizona's Ballo in the portal... | The Boneyard

Arizona's Ballo in the portal...

Reaction Score
He's going to be one of the best few centers in the portal. He's a beast.

Sucks at FTs, and can't pass, but otherwise a heck of a player. Does some nice work defensively IIRC.

Probably not as great a fit as Goldin or Cliff. But he's good.

Reaction Score
he has another year?? dude has been in college for 5 years already, when is this era of college ball officially over?

Reaction Score
Like UConn, Arizona loves sharing the ball (25th A/FGM) and it impresses me how much Ballo can play at his size in an offensive as fast-paced as Arizona (8th fastest tempo).

He’s an ELITE rebounder (top-20 in offensive and rebounding rates and has the 17th highest eFG%, so he’s incredibly efficient at his role. About “average” rim protector. His awful FT% (49.5%) and subpar passing does give me pause, though.

That being said, he’s a passionate guy and I like his toughness. He’s got some impressive strengths, but glaring holes in his game too. That being said, I’d be excited if we’re interested.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can't pass is a concern. I say that as someone who has never seen him play.

Reaction Score
Half of top 12 ranked players in portal are centers, that's not including Goldin at 24. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Looks like a great fit if he chooses UConn.

"Dan Hurley just had a Malian big man thrive in his system during UConn’s 2023 national championship run with Adama Sanogo, and a slightly bigger, yet similar-styled player like Ballo could be the perfect fit for the Huskies in 2024-25. Another draw to UConn for Ballo could be the fact that Hurley already has a young Malian center on his roster, Youssouf Singare, who is someone Ballo could mentor next season. He could do the same with 6-foot-10 junior Samson Johnson as well who has flashed potential this season. However, the biggest role Ballo would need to fill in Storrs is that of 7-foot-2 center Donovan Clingan who is likely off to the NBA. Ballo has similar ability to Clingan when it comes to pick-and-roll offense and being a shot blocker on defense which could make for a seamless transition for the Huskies."

Coach Hurley's Mali connections remind me of Coach Calhoun's Israeli connections during our rise - Henefeld, Sheffer, Katz, etc.

I actually played a pick up game in the field house with Katz once. Many student-athletes stayed back on campus during summers to catch up on credits and some would join us at the field house occasionally.

Gilad (Katz) and I were on the same team and I was not used to that level of playing. One of his passes to me was so hard that it bent a finger on my right hand and caused a hairline fracture. I went to the infirmary and they put a splint on it. One of my knuckles still looks a little bigger than others, it reminds me of the good times :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

"Dan Hurley just had a Malian big man thrive in his system during UConn’s 2023 national championship run with Adama Sanogo, and a slightly bigger, yet similar-styled player like Ballo could be the perfect fit for the Huskies in 2024-25. Another draw to UConn for Ballo could be the fact that Hurley already has a young Malian center on his roster, Youssouf Singare, who is someone Ballo could mentor next season. He could do the same with 6-foot-10 junior Samson Johnson as well who has flashed potential this season. However, the biggest role Ballo would need to fill in Storrs is that of 7-foot-2 center Donovan Clingan who is likely off to the NBA. Ballo has similar ability to Clingan when it comes to pick-and-roll offense and being a shot blocker on defense which could make for a seamless transition for the Huskies."

Coach Hurley's Mali connections remind me of Coach Calhoun's Israeli connections during our rise - Henefeld, Sheffer, Katz, etc.

I actually played a pick up game in the field house with Katz once. Many student-athletes stayed back on campus during summers to catch up on credits and some would join us at the field house occasionally.

Gilad (Katz) and I were on the same team and I was not used to that level of playing. One of his passes to me was so hard that it bent a finger on my right hand and caused a hairline fracture. I went to the infirmary and they put a splint on it. One of my knuckles still looks a little bigger than others, it reminds me of the good times :)
Same experience in my law school league with a guy who had played college ball. Didn’t break anything but was pretty darn fast and hard. Took a lot of getting used to.

Reaction Score
He's going to be one of the best few centers in the portal. He's a beast.

Sucks at FTs, and can't pass, but otherwise a heck of a player. Does some nice work defensively IIRC.

Probably not as great a fit as Goldin or Cliff. But he's good.
Our center needs to be a great passer to complement our ball movement offense. I also like a center who's decent at free throws. Those are two huge holes in "otherwise a heck of a player".

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

If we choose him you mean

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
he has another year?? dude has been in college for 5 years already, when is this era of college ball officially over?
Kids who were freshmen in the "free" covid year (2020-21) are going into their free 5th year next season, so this will be the last we have to deal with it (outside of anyone who has an additional year from redshirts under standard rules. So there will be a handful for the 2025-26 season, but nothing like the level we have seen the last few years. I also cannot wait for this extra year stuff to be over.

Reaction Score
Kids who were freshmen in the "free" covid year (2020-21) are going into their free 5th year next season, so this will be the last we have to deal with it (outside of anyone who has an additional year from redshirts under standard rules. So there will be a handful for the 2025-26 season, but nothing like the level we have seen the last few years. I also cannot wait for this extra year stuff to be over.
Glad it's just not me, seeing guys on here arguing for players to play 6 years of college ball and be 25 year old seniors has me dumbfounded. NIL and transfer portal are here to stay but let's get some aspects of the game back to somewhat normal.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Glad it's just not me, seeing guys on here arguing for players to play 6 years of college ball and be 25 year old seniors has me dumbfounded. NIL and transfer portal are here to stay but let's get some aspects of the game back to somewhat normal.
I hate it, but I'm also down to game the system if everyone else is doing it. If there's a loophole that gets Spencer back next year, I'm all for it lol. But I certainly wish that was not the way things were overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom