Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aresco Asking Navy to Join Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Army still does care about football, because they know, at least to some degree, that it is a great recruiting tool. Not just for West Point, but for the army in general. That's why I think that they would go for the big conference and the extra money, so long as they didn't believe that they would get absolutely embarrassed. The embarrassment would cost them the recruiting and wouldn't be worth the money.....but they ARE coming off of a victory against BC... ;)

Reaction Score
I think the reason we are trying to get Navy in early is so that we can lure Notre Dame back to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Aresco has it right. Once our conference has it's own Navy, it'll be unstoppable.

We can blockade the ACC into submission, then turn our attention to the Gulf States, and finally the West Coast.

That leaves the B1G as our only true competition. We'll probably need Army or Air Force for them, unless we can launch an offensive via the Great Lakes.

Not sure how we deal with BYU. Will they remain independent in the face of our offensive push, hoping we leave them alone? Or will they realize that Aresco is hellbent on college football domination and somehow attempt to work with the B1G to create two different fronts and win the war on the ground?

Reaction Score
Aresco has it right. Once our conference has it's own Navy, it'll be unstoppable.

We can blockade the ACC into submission, then turn our attention to the Gulf States, and finally the West Coast.

That leaves the B1G as our only true competition. We'll probably need Army or Air Force for them, unless we can launch an offensive via the Great Lakes.

Not sure how we deal with BYU. Will they remain independent in the face of our offensive push, hoping we leave them alone? Or will they realize that Aresco is hellbent on college football domination and somehow attempt to work with the B1G to create two different fronts and win the war on the ground?
We will dominate sea air and land.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if they can get to a bowl game as a team in the Big East, to be honest, but I'm not sure that matters much either. They would be good enough to get 3 or 4 wins a year (which is their standard, with the exception of 2010), but they would be doing it with bigger profile games (to increase their exposure) with a bigger paycheck (which West Point could use, I'm sure) and with their natural rivals in the same conference (Navy, ). The Commander-in-Chief Trophy would essentially become a Big East trophy.

I'm not sure if I want Army in the conference or not (quality vs. national presence argument), but I'm pretty sure that it would be a better experience for them than being in C-USA...
Go to a game at Westpoint and take in the whole experience.
The cadets do a 9:00 field parade in which they welcome the opposing team and fans. I think it usually ends with a couple parachutes landing on the parade grounds. Weather wasn't great so they cancelled when I was there. During the field parade and inspection the band plays the opposing teams fight song as well (along with several traditional Army songs). Can only imagine how cool it would be to see Uconn play at Army.
Was at the Stony Brook game and it was an awesome experience. Probably had 20-25K at the game. Stony Brook probably had 1,500.
Army may lose more games than it wins, but would never suggest its a lack of quality.

Reaction Score
Army no more belongs in the Big East than Central Connecticut. The have no hope of competing - none. They can not get the level of player to compete.
Anybody who is looking to Army, Navy and Air Force to be saviors of the Big East...not happening. They just are incapable of competing at a high level on a regular basis. Oh, they run oddball offenses that catch teams off guard when they haven't seen that approach before but as a steady diet they just don't have the horses. It isn't 1959 any more.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Quick question, why are Navy and Air Force viewed by most to be acceptable additions capable of fielding quality teams, but somehow Army is viewed as weak and not being able to compete? What makes Army weaker than Air Force and Navy? I understand that recent history suggests this is true, but why is this happening?

I could have sworn I heard this but I may be off. Air Force gives players the option to go to the NFL right after college and serve their duty to they air force at a later time. I remember there being a FB who I believe still plays for the Eagles, who was drafted right out of college. Not sure if Navy allows this but I'm almost positive Army does not. So that alone is a major strike against getting recruits who'd play football at a service academy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Go to a game at Westpoint and take in the whole experience.
The cadets do a 9:00 field parade in which they welcome the opposing team and fans. I think it usually ends with a couple parachutes landing on the parade grounds. Weather wasn't great so they cancelled when I was there. During the field parade and inspection the band plays the opposing teams fight song as well (along with several traditional Army songs). Can only imagine how cool it would be to see Uconn play at Army.
Was at the Stony Brook game and it was an awesome experience. Probably had 20-25K at the game. Stony Brook probably had 1,500.
Army may lose more games than it wins, but would never suggest its a lack of quality.

UConn played at Army twice. It was a fun trip. If Army had to play in the Big East they would win a conference game once every election cycle. Even considering them is insanity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Michie is a great place to see a game, but that won't help them win.

Reaction Score
The military academies are considered acceptable adds because from a TV perspective, they still bring in eyeballs. Veterans watch them even if they suck, out of sheer pride in their branch of service. Of course none of them will be competitive nationally except on rare occasion, but if they can prove to bring in ratings, that's what matters these days.

I'm not defending the additions, and I still think on the whole they improve the conference very little to not at all, but that's the rationale behind them.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
UConn played at Army twice. It was a fun trip. If Army had to play in the Big East they would win a conference game once every election cycle. Even considering them is insanity.

Army was of interest due to the Yankee Bowl and the ND game. They have BC on tap there for 2014. ND won't play Army there again. With the right program (ND) that's a Tier 1 TV Home game to go along with the Service Academy games on CBS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They would need to be worth 8+ million to even carry their weight. How could they move the needle on the average. No way are Army and worth 8 figures each.

Reaction Score
I could have sworn I heard this but I may be off. Air Force gives players the option to go to the NFL right after college and serve their duty to they air force at a later time. I remember there being a FB who I believe still plays for the Eagles, who was drafted right out of college. Not sure if Navy allows this but I'm almost positive Army does not. So that alone is a major strike against getting recruits who'd play football at a service academy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Campbell, a safety from Army was drafted in the 7th round after army said they would forgo the military commitment. They changed their mind and he was dismissed from camp to serve active duty... He played for MArion so it was not that long ago.

Reaction Score
If have 16 teams need somebody to lose. Right now the following rankings BCS teams:

117 Col
111 Army
105 Kansas
102 BCU
100 Wash State
99 Air Force
96 Ill
94 Indiana
91 Virginia
90 Navy

So 2 ACC, 2B10, 2 B12 and 1 Pac 10. No BE but NNBE has Memphis. Academies could be 3-1 outside league and 1 or 2 or 3 wins in league and be ok. If you want some team to go 11-1 and 10-2 need to have some teams that go 1 or 2 wins in league.

SEC last year of the 12 teams, in league had 1 team 0-8, 1 team 1-7, 3 teams 2-6, 1 team 3-5. So other 6 teams had 28 victories against these 6 or about half of their in conference wins each and helped the 6 average almost 11 wins each including bowl games (most also play 4 of 5 OOC against Sun Belt type competition so 4 conference gimmies and 4 OOC gimmies gets you well on your way to double digit wins before you play anyone good).

Reaction Score
Having army, navy, and would be awesome.
I'm guessing you are probably correct that army won't join based on their experience with cusa. If that's the case, it's our loss.

Army is terrible. I fail to see their appeal. BE may be able to regularly beat ACC in computer ratings in future years, which will definitely help with perception. It doesnt need more deadweight.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Army is terrible. I fail to see their appeal. BE may be able to regularly beat ACC in computer ratings in future years, which will definitely help with perception. It doesnt need more deadweight.

Given a 9-game conference schedule, wouldn't Army be a better opponent than an OOC Buffalo and do more for fandom and regional television and potential Yankee Stadium matchups?

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Who says there's a 9-game schedule?

I thought I'd throw that out there .....we don't want WMU or UTSA (5-0) on the schedule .......

Reaction Score
Did you mean to add atmosphere at the end of that statement? Because if you lose more than you win isn't it because of quality? Imagine a schedule with Army AND Memphis on it? That's 2 free wins against teams that would struggle in the CAA...

...then again, we may struggle in the CAA

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just because other teams suck doesn't mean Army can be in the Big East.

Teams like Kansas, Colorado and Boston College can win with good coaching. Army can not get players that can compete against legitimate FBS teams.

The ideas that their bowl tie ins would matter? Army would qualify for a bowl in the Big East about as often as you see Haley's Comet.

Reaction Score
Despite playing against a MAC-dominated schedule (& last facing a ranked team in 2003), Army has made a bowl once in the past 15 years.

Reaction Score
Army had some good teams and was a competitive program at least .500 or above, with some good seasons through the 1980s, able to put some decent teams together in the 1990s as well, I think won 10 games in 1995. At the military academies, football is more than winning games, for whatever you think that is worth. THey expect to be competitive, and play well, but life isn't going to end becaue the football team has a 6-6 season or worse, and they will get very fired up about a team that is winning,a dn they do have loyal fan following. Military academy football, is what college football standard should be - all around. IMNSHO.

Since 2001, 725 U.S. Army officers have either been killed in action, or died from wounds sustained in action, compared to less than 100 officer deaths for the Navy and Air Force combined over the same time period.

That's deaths, not all casualties.

I think West Point gets a pass on their football program for the past decade, when it comes to recruiting and play on the field. I'm not sure of the number of new graduates that have died in action shortly after graduation in U.S. military action in the past decade, but last count it was over 100. Tough to recruit for the USMA, when the life expectancy and how long you will live, after graduation is the primary post graduation issue - never mind finding a job.

With the possibility of dying shortly after graduating significantly decreased at West Point now in 2012, there's no reason to think they can't get start recruiting again, to get back to at least the level of competitive football they had prior to the past decade, as they also work like hell to fill our officer ranks back up.

Reaction Score
The ideal physical condition required of an Army cadet/officer does not match well with the type of conditioning for football, especially offensive line. Navy (Marine) and Air Force can fudge it a little because well, for the most part (Marines and special ops excluded), they don't have to run around through the boonies with weapons and assorted stuff. I had a VN War friend who played OG for Army and was 70 in. and listed at 260#. You just can't get too much bigger and function. He survived a year as an infantry officer with the Americal Division in I Corps and complained much more about getting pounded in FB than with a VC mortar attack. He was 225# or so when he got home. Also note that having women take slots decreases the number of available males for FB, though that's true of all service academies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom