Are you a member on an opposing teams board? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are you a member on an opposing teams board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Illinois State University alumnus here, so I am on Redbirdfan rather often. And growing up 90 minutes from Iowa City, I still have some residual affection for the U. of Iowa and for the Hawks' Next. I went away from that board though when the free-wheeling discussions that I once liked turned into flame wars.

I was a mod on a couple of boards for awhile. That's behind me, happy to say. While I initially thought the BY was a little over-regulated, I've changed my mind about that over the many months. The BY works. The reason it works is that it is not a free-fire zone. Thank you to all who post, and thanks also to our mods.

Reaction Score
Obviously, my home board is the Rutgers Rivals board. I think it is probably more active - at least in season - than most teams that are not top 10. The thing is, many Rutgers fans are "only" Rutgers fans, so not a lot of discussion of things that are not related, and really a relatively small group that does the discussing. Hence, why I read and post on the Boneyard.

It is easy to be a guest on a board, I think. First, a lot of the stuff that is discussed is of interest only to the fans of the "home" team. On an active board like the BY, I don't even try to read them. Second, don't disrespect the home team. And since some posters won't get it if you do, don't "tweak" the home fans (unless you have a rep for it and it is tolerated). And finally, don't be too defensive about your own team. Their perspective on your team / school is not the same as yours.

Incidentally, the Rutgers board has historically taken a few digs at UConn - but only rarely. A lot of respect there, although most RU fans are certainly not UConn fans.

At RU/UConn games at the Charlie Brown gym I cheered for Uconn. Against anyone else, especially Tn at Tn, as they controlled the game clock, I cheered for RU. Except for a few --most will cheer for conference teams vs out of Conf teams I believe.
At RU games I don't know of a much more offensive verbal crowd as the RU fans when Uconn's in the house. There is a limit of what should be said --and Ru has exceeded that limit often.
On any home board, Boneyard/UConn board too, it is pure ignorance to expect anything other than the home board to love the home team and not really love anyone else. Within the Boneyard Board you'll see offense taken by some, maybe many, with the slightest grouping of words that by a long stretch of the imagination could be negative about a player, the coaches, or the team

Reaction Score
Aside than the Boneyard, I'm actually a member of the Summitt (while being very very very very far from being a TN fan, i do like some of the TN players). In addition i frequntly visit the fan boards of most key WBB schools (ND, SC, Duke, UNC, Baylor, A&M, UT, etc.) but they tend to have little activity on them.
Good players are fun to watch. I just can't get emotionally involved (very much) when it's not Uconn. I like most Tn, Duke, NC, ND, FSU, OKLA, UCLA---and a bunch more. Only one player comes to mind that I disliked a bit more--Prince of RU when she took Maya to the floor for no real score value. I didn't like the Novesel ability to jump into Uconn players and collect fouls from Uconn--but apparently that is the International method of play as we saw in the Pan Am's and U19 this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does the GE Corporate board count???

Is that board you are on decent enough for kids and young women??

Excluding me, myself and I (all 3) this is an amazingly knowledgeable group of characters on many subjects especially Women's basketball and more especially Uconn Women's ball. The data they are able to bring up from across the country and decades ago always amazes me. I've been a watcher/fan of Uconn men since the late 1950's and Geno and company since 1995, I have a personal library of VHS tapes and CD's. But no way can I keep up with 80 percent of those on the Boneyard. So if you do as I do, recite from memory, someone shall surely show you the errors of your ways.

If you haven't already, you should reach out to @tcf15 as he's always on the look out for more games to archive.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I was kidding- Ithought the Board name too easy a target and couldn't resist.
-I found out that Saying a player (this one on Tn) was a BallHog got me a reminder of the rules for Boneyard from HuskyNan. Apparently they take un nice comments about Uconn Women , in this case Tn too, seriously.
The wonderful thing about Humans is--what they don't know does not bother them. So is it with Boards.
In general i am more likely to stay if there is good analysis and logical basketball talk but their success may be too new for that. Hopefully when the season starts i'll find a thread to get into and get comfy, but not so comfy that i get cocky, if ya know what i mean.

Reaction Score
In general i am more likely to stay if there is good analysis and logical basketball talk but their success may be too new for that. Hopefully when the season starts i'll find a thread to get into and get comfy, but not so comfy that i get cocky, if ya know what i mean.
Good one!!! You know though that really good threads are hard to find. Went to Hong Kong but their thread are no better.

Reaction Score
I did notice they were smashed together, the men's and women's BB threads that is but most reads have been decent haven't found a thread I felt like jumping in but over all it's been okay. Every board has it's own set of extremists I have found so there is no escaping that.
Extremists---By enlarge 90 plus percent of the Boneyard members offer fair comments. I think we can all be extreme when the right combination of words hit our brains. But I've surfed other boards and found some maybe more than some, hurtful, off topic in answers, personal attacks---those few Boneyard off topic offensive hurtful attacks --I apologize for.

Reaction Score
Though the Orange motif makes me wanna puke, I do enjoy visiting VolNation (not a member). Lots of passionate and knowledgeable fans, lots of finger pointing over their program's FF failures, and often lots of comments about UConn. Man, those folks get really worked up over their women's basketball- can you say Boneyard? Holly suffers the brunt of the anger, most blaming her for the program's struggles. And while they almost always heap great praise when discussing Stewie (really, they do!), to a man they consider Geno the devil (for 'stealing' Maya), and Summitt saintly. Entertaining site- though a bit much of the coarse, ad hominem stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Though the Orange motif makes me wanna puke, I do enjoy visiting VolNation (not a member). Lots of passionate and knowledgeable fans, lots of finger pointing over their program's FF failures, and often lots of comments about UConn. Man, those folks get really worked up over their women's basketball- can you say Boneyard? Holly suffers the brunt of the anger, most blaming her for the program's struggles. And while they almost always heap great praise when discussing Stewie (really, they do!), to a man they consider Geno the devil (for 'stealing' Maya), and Summitt saintly. Entertaining site- though a bit much of the coarse, ad hominem stuff.
VolNation isn't bad. I'll read it every now again when recruiting heats up to see if anyone has any insight into how a prospect is leaning since we generally go after the same kids. They have their yahoos as all fan bases do, but they also have a good dose of grounded posters that are pretty fair.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VolNation isn't bad. I'll read it every now again when recruiting heats up to see if anyone has any insight into how a prospect is leaning since we generally go after the same kids. They have their yahoos as all fan bases do, but they also have a good dose of grounded posters that are pretty fair.
I find it night and day compared to the Summit which I haven't visited since it became a pay site - it can still get heated and occasionally personal, but mostly it has some pretty interesting discussions.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm too much of a UCONN homer to be a member on any other boards. I choose not to be because the Boneyard gives me all I can handle. Where else could you get such snarkiness as above from our Tobacco Road "Guest".

I completely agree with CocoHusky. What was it that Marv Levy (former head coach of the Buffalo Bills) use to say just before kickoff......"Where else would you rather be than right here, right now".

I love the yard. I came here from another thread. We never got the kind of news and updates there, that we get here. I'm too biased. I want the Huskies to win the NC every year until Geno leaves.

I'll "troll" other sites just to read what they're talking about, but I don't really have much to say about their team other than good luck for the coming season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Rutgers Rival was good but since the BET isnt in Hartford anymore, its no fun and because UConn doesnt play them anymore.
The Summitt was nice to me when it was free. JumpingJack, Maria, TinyVol, RealTall, Chaffon VolCrazy89 were cool.
Volnation is honest these days... pissed but remain faithful.

if you mention how great UConn is on any other team site you'll be considered a troll.

Stanford, ND and Baylor had their moments.

I enjoyed Duke's and UNC... they were kind of active than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc