AP Poll: UConn #24 | The Boneyard

AP Poll: UConn #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's fine with me, I just wanted to stay ranked. You get a lot more exposure on ESPN when you are ranked ie: highlights for all of your games are shown. I two-win week would be nice to get a bit more breathing space.

Reaction Score
AAC tied with Big 10 for most teams ranked in top 25 with 5.

And, every other game for UConn is against a ranked team:

vs. USF
vs. #20 Memphis
@ Temple
vs. #23 SMU
@ USF
vs. #10 Cincinnati
vs. Rutgers
@ #13 Lousiville

Last edited:

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm not going to complain about moving down a bit. I'm excited the AAC has 5 teams ranked at this point in the season. This means half our remaining games are against ranked teams w/ a possibility of a couple more in the AAC tourney. Just more opportunities to enhance our resume.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seems fair, especially given that SMU knocked off Cinci.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The loss to SMU has become less of a factor, but UConn cannot under any circumstances overlook the less strong teams remaining on their schedule. They are more than capable of taking care of business vs.. Memphis, Cinci, and SMU and go into Louisville with a head of steam, riding an 8 game winning streak.

Reaction Score
We should win all of those remaining games. We have to maintain home turf at this point. The only problem is the Lousiville away game.

D

Deleted member 3149

AAC tied with Big 10 for most teams ranked in top 25 with 5.

And, every other game for UConn is against a ranked team:

vs. USF
vs. #20 Memphis
@ Temple
vs. #23 SMU
@ USF
vs. #10 Cincinnati
vs. Rutgers
@ #13 Lousiville

Every game is winnable which is the coolest part...

Reaction Score
I'm not going to complain about moving down a bit. I'm excited the AAC has 5 teams ranked at this point in the season. This means half our remaining games are against ranked teams w/ a possibility of a couple more in the AAC tourney. Just more opportunities to enhance our resume.
Agreed. It's setting up very nicely for UConn right now. Have to keep winning.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
All I care about now is avoiding a 7/8/9 seed... 6 or better would be awesome. Can't say I haven't been eyeing that 5 seed in the East. I want a shot at the Orange, just for kicks.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we win out up to Louisville then I'm not sure what happens. The two USF games are trap games because they both come right before an ESPN primetime game vs. ranked teams.

SMU we'll beat. They're garbage away from home. And Gampel will be rocking.

Reaction Score
Silly
Just curious...what's silly about being ranked?

To me it means a great deal that UConn is in a conference that, despite losing L'ville, has the prospect of 4+ ranked teams going forward. If Houston, Temple and Fla schools improve the AAC may even have a little depth.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score

To me it means a great deal that UConn is in a conference that, despite losing L'ville, has the prospect of 4+ ranked teams going forward. If Houston, Temple and Fla schools improve the AAC may even have a little depth.
Maybe he thinks a team like Duke, moving up 10 spots after losing to Quse and beating WF and BC, is silly.

Reaction Score
Maybe he thinks a team like Duke, moving up 10 spots after losing to Quse and beating WF and BC, is silly.
Maybe, but Duke always gets treated differently....any guesses who always plays their first 2 Tourney games in Raleigh, NC?:rolleyes:..........any guesses who Joey Brackets has as Duke's opponent in Raleigh in the 2/7 South region matchup?.....will be fun to beat them down in front of their Home crowd:cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I kind of thought we would fall some because of the wins by Ohio State,Wisconsin and SMU. We only lost to the no 7 team in the nation that was demolished by SMU to make it look like a bigger loss than it should have been and you just knew that the Big would leapfrog us in that scenario. i am happy with the #24 ranking. Could have been worse.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Nothing is silly about it. It is certainly past time to pay attention to rank as games remaining number in the single digits. Scores for the Top 25 are run down on every sports radio station in the country and are heard by everyone with a commute greater than 15 minutes. Top #25 = exposure, regardless of conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was my thought.

Reaction Score
OSU & Wisconsin's rankings are sort of a head-scratcher to me. both those teams have a lot of recent dreadful losses that I think should have outweighed some of their recent wins. Consider the following: (Ws & Ls in the order they've come.)

Wisconsin: L-at IU, L-Mich, L-at Minn, W-at Purdue, L-NW, L-OSU, W-at Illini, W-MSU
OSU: L-at MSU, L-Iowa, L at Minn, L at Nebraska, W Illini, L-Penn St, W at Winscon, W at Iowa, W-Purdue

Wins against one another shouldn't count for much considering some of their recent bad losses and lack of quality wins.

So what good wins does either team have?

Wisconsin just beat MSU (9), but how does that get them #21 in the AP? Really!!!!

OSU won at Iowa (ranked 16) recently, but does that really offset Ls to Minn, Nebraska & Penn State? You Kidding me!!!!

I've not seen much of Wisconsin, but OSU looks like one of the most overrated teams in America. The B1G has a history of giving their fellow conference teams a bump in the polls but then there's no sign of them when you get to the S-16. Based on the few b1G teams I've seen, MSU at full strength is an elite team E8 or better. Michigan is very good and is might be a s-16 or better. Iowa, looks solid. After that, the rest have a lot to prove.

Bottom line, one could make a case for for Wisconsin & OSU being at 24 & 25 or completely out of the top 25 with UConn at 22 along with the other teams (SMU & Pitt) ranked below them moving up 2 spots. UConn's one bad loss against UH, was erased big time with a huge blowout against them at home. The rest of their losses are all to ranked teams with some quality wins against ranked teams (UF & Memphis). Our resume looks a heck of a lot better than those two teams.

Reaction Score
Also, we beat Harvard and Yale- two teams atop the Ivy. Harvard has a decent shot at an at large and have hung around the "others receiving votes" all season and were ranked for a short while. If Yale wins that league we could have two more wins against tourney teams. Regardless of how that plays out we'll have one. Makes up for IU/BC/UMD/UW giving us a whole lot of nothing.

Reaction Score
This is just fun to look at. I'm sure this was mailed to every player the league is recruiting. The AAC has as many teams ranked as the Big East, Pac 12, and SEC combined.

AP Top 25 Teams By Conference
American 5
Big Ten 5
ACC 4
Big 12 3
Big East 2
SEC 2
Pac-12 1
Atlantic 10 1
Missouri Valley 1
Mountain West 1

Last edited: