Anyone really like what they are seeing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone really like what they are seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boy by some of the comments in this thread you would think we were down 10 instead of up 10. One reason why I rarely post during a game...

Reaction Score
What is with Bazz and Boat? When Bazz was at the line it looked like they were jawing at each other. Napier continued to jaw when he got the ball before his second attempt and then proceeded to miss the shot. I'm as big a Bazz fan as there is but I'm starting to wonder if he was the problem last year, to this point I thought it was everyone but him. Now I'm not so sure.

Also, Kevin these guys are not playing together, it's your job as head coach to get them to play together. Not sure if anyone has told you that. Geez could you please implement some type of offense, it looks like last years team all over again. This is frustrating to watch, the MSU game was great but that is not what this team is. That is going to look like a very bad loss on State's tournament resume

Maybe you should tell him that.

Reaction Score
Maybe if he read the yard we wouldn't have lost to NM

And you said this place is a s___hole, but now you're saying a guy who played PG in the NCAA for 13 years should take advice here.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you liked what you saw for the first 25 or 30 minutes you were watching something else. Poorly prepared, not motivated, poor game plan.

But you have to like the adjustments, change in game plan (stopped feading TO), change in personnel (Niels), and change in motivation.

Now I want to see a better prepared and motivated team taking the floor on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Stopped feeding TO? Change in personnel(Niels)? What game did you watch? TO got fed in the 2nd half and he actually made his shots this time around. Niels played a ton in the 1st half , in the 2nd half he actually decided to shoot instead of pump fake his way out of wide open jumpers. This is what I'm talking about in terms of the criticism of KO, if guys actually make their wide open shots, it's a completely different game and they have a lead. How many wide open jumpers did DeAndre brick? That's the difference b/w being lethargic and down at the half, compared to having a lead. The gameplan clearly was to get other guys going in the 1st half, they didn't get going and the team trailed.

If you liked what you saw for the first 25 or 30 minutes you were watching something else. Poorly prepared, not motivated, poor game plan.

But you have to like the adjustments, change in game plan (stopped feading TO), change in personnel (Niels), and change in motivation.

Now I want to see a better prepared and motivated team taking the floor on Thursday.

Reaction Score
And you said this place is a s___hole, but now you're saying a guy who played PG in the NCAA for 13 years should take advice here.
I wasn't serious, dude. NM is a better team which is why they beat us, relax.

When did I say this place is a hole?

Reaction Score
Here is the problem people, I'm not sure anyone can recognize any offense because they don't have the people to make the plays. Bazz and Boat are kinda it.........DD has trouble keeping the ball as he's not strong enough - TO shot it too much and suddenly is dribbling between defenders and he is supposed to be passing to cutters - Omar for now is an awful passer and restricted to jump shooting - Giff needs to gain confidence and make plays......Boats decisions have not been good but I expect him to get better, seems to have lost confidence penetrating and certainly shooting it.......Bazz has been fine!

All in all not enough playermakers, passers to run smooth sets with any consistency. And the IQ of the team for now looks very low as far as natural flow of the game. It's going to be real painful people when the likes of Louisville take our guards out like they can, be prepared!!!

Reaction Score
I'm not really that concerned with feeding TO early. He's the closest thing we have to post offense - give him some touches, get him into the game, get his energy level up. Maybe he can at least be a threat enough to keep defenders honest. Years ago, the guard-dominated Bad Boy Pistons used to dump the ball in to James Edwards (he of the all-mustache team) on the first five or six possessions. They didn't want him to sort of mentally check out. Of course, he usually made a bunch of those shots, so it made the strategy more sensible.

Plus, TO is in for a long season of battling Big East frontcourts by himself - giving him some Stony Brook touches is a way of saying thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Stopped feeding TO? Change in personnel(Niels)? What game did you watch? TO got fed in the 2nd half and he actually made his shots this time around. Niels played a ton in the 1st half , in the 2nd half he actually decided to shoot instead of pump fake his way out of wide open jumpers. This is what I'm talking about in terms of the criticism of KO, if guys actually make their wide open shots, it's a completely different game and they have a lead. How many wide open jumpers did DeAndre brick? That's the difference b/w being lethargic and down at the half, compared to having a lead. The gameplan clearly was to get other guys going in the 1st half, they didn't get going and the team trailed.
I didn't say by half - I said after 25 or 30 minutes. They fed TO the first 4 trips of the 2nd half, he made two, then got swatted and finally passed out on the 4th and in the process didn't really make up much ground. After they, they stayed on the perimeter exclusively actually passing the ball and taking open threes. They scored on 5 or 6 straight three point shots. Obviously a change in strategy. Getting Niels to finally start shooting is all on Ollie and one of the coaching moves he made to change things. I'm actually complimenting him here. The adjustments were great. The prep and motivation early sucked.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To answer the OP Yep we won!

Reaction Score
Breakdown of season so far:

Bazz playing similar last year but with less talent. Up/down, confident/lacking, unselfish/ selfish. When he is on he can pull up from anywhere hit threes. That allows him then to penetrate and score. Struggles getting others involved. When he is playing off guard he stands around doesn't move off screens or tries to free himself. Has the talent to be one of the best guards in college basketball if he could only stay focused.

Boatwright is pressing. The talk of NBA has hurt his game. He is missing shots badly that he made last year. He is making bad decisions with the ball. Over penetrating and getting strip. He needs to! realize that at 5'10" he is not going to over power or out leap everyone. When and if he makes the NBA he will need to be a quality shooter be able to penetrate and dish.

DD is all right hand off the dribble. Dribble is weak and seems like he could be a good shooter but doesn't get is legs under him to go up strong.

TO all left hand has to play center for us but his game is soft power forward.

Calhoun is a freshman playing like one. Not a good passer yet. Gets lost on D but fearless and not scared to put up a shot.

This afternoon there were times our leaders gave up on plays. Boat and Bazz must have a great DB's mentality. Chase to the end of the play and forget quickly. Neither has shown this yet.
Some of you might think I'm getting down on this team but all this is is what I've seen. Love these guys. These are the guys who stayed.

We're going to win some games we shouldn't and lose some games they shouldn't
IMO no one so far is NBA talent next year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gee it's fun to see every play analyzed. Here is a team that lost 3 front court players plus their best offensive player all of whom could've returned. The team has been away from home almost the whole time since the season began. They pulled one upset and have had uneven play,not that surprising, and are likely to take more lumps. They are depending on scoring from kids who haven't been in that position before and have a new coach. We have lost Evans for a while and he looks like a contributor. I think we are getting as good or even better than we had a right to expect and if kids like Danirls and Calhouin adjust maybe we pull more surprises.

Reaction Score
Gee it's fun to see every play analyzed. Here is a team that lost 3 front court players plus their best offensive player all of whom could've returned.

Four, if you count Bradley.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Four, if you count Bradley.

Yeah. But I'm talking about guys who not only contributed but who would all probably started this year with RS the only possible non-starter.

Reaction Score
Yeah. But I'm talking about guys who not only contributed but who would all probably started this year with RS the only possible non-starter.

Yeah, it is sort of 4 with an asterisk, since we didn't really lose a player who never played. Just in the sense that he would have been getting some PT now if he stuck around.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm seeing a lot of what I've seen in the last few years. While I was not for giving Ollie a 34 year deal from jump, I also am not going to judge him on a few games. There is a lot of work to be done.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You like that offense? How bout that rebounding? I'm not calling for anyone's head but these kids look lost. And they have looked that way since MSU. I am sitting here watching Olander and Wolf take all our shots and our kids getting beat for every free ball. It's not UCONN basketball that's for sure.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
tell me what other bigs we have? ao bradley and roscoe transferred, drummond and lamb went to the draft, ollie was given a depleted roster and a 7 month contract and is doing great with what he has... if all we do is rely on our guards then we will get smashed come big east play, the bigs have to get a lot of touches and shots in order to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom