Anyone really like what they are seeing? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone really like what they are seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the game yesterday but I listened to it on the internet, so I don't have the advantage some of you had but this is what I heard. Kevin Ollie started off the game trying to run plays for the front court players. The correct strategy in my opinion. If this team is going to improve, the front court has to get better. Unfortunately, the front court is still learning so the results were not good yesterday. Also, it "sounded" like the guards (Boatright and Napier) were frustrated. If their frustration is showing on the court this is a problem that Ollie has to address and I am sure that he will.

I am a little surprised and disappointed at all of the negative comments. This is a young and inexperienced team that was missing two more players yesterday and they still won. They are 5-1 and ranked. Where's the love?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the game yesterday but I listened to it on the internet, so I don't have the advantage some of you had but this is what I heard. Kevin Ollie started off the game trying to run plays for the front court players. The correct strategy in my opinion. If this team is going to improve, the front court has to get better. Unfortunately, the front court is still learning so the results were not good yesterday. Also, it "sounded" like the guards (Boatright and Napier) were frustrated. If their frustration is showing on the court this is a problem that Ollie has to address and I am sure that he will.

I am a little surprised and disappointed at all of the negative comments. This is a young and inexperienced team that was missing two more players yesterday and they still won. They are 5-1 and ranked. Where's the love?
I'm not sure they were frustrated. Tim Welsh tried to make it a story that wasn't there.

Reaction Score
I really wish they would wake up earlier.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to see us use the December schedule to experiment with some form of extended defense to open the game. Maybe a half court trap. See if we can get the guards jump-started.

I'm concerned about our ability to go toe to toe in the Big East, and I'd like to see whether we can do more to weaponize our quickness.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they were frustrated. Tim Welsh tried to make it a story that wasn't there.

Napier and Boatright were having a disagreement right before Napier was about to shoot a free throw (which he missed). The camera (great camera work, BTW) flashed to Ollie who was crouching on the sideline even with the free throw line looking directly at the exchange with a look on his face. It wasn't the type of thing that gets correct right away, but you could tell Ollie was giving him that look that said, "This is so wrong, so out of line, that I will keep silent during the course of this game, because this will take a long time to address."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The expectations for this team are entirely too high. Our front court isn't NCAA tournament caliber and our backcourt while talented, consists mainly of three guys with little to no leadership experience. Need to stop thinking in terms of 2010/11 and think more like 1997 and 2008.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I didn't see Welsh's comments. But there's something there. I'm don't know the extent, but it's greater than nothing.

caw

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, but does anyone else think Boatright looks noticeably slower/less explosive since he tweaked his leg versus MSU? Was that just adrenaline for the first 30 minutes of the season?

I think there are a few things going on:
  • Ollie trusts Napier a ton
  • Ollie is trying to build up the bigs confidence
  • Ollie is trying to build up other players confidence
  • Ollie is trying things out and seeing what is working with a largely untested group of players
Ollie is doing all of the above so the team can keep things close but try things out in the first half, and let the guards take over in the second half to win games. He's doing this to build the team for BE/future success, because they won't win a ton of games if the team can only rely on Napier/Boatright.
Or the team is just a mess and Ollie is a horrible coach.
I don't believe it's the later, because the team is 5-1. JMO

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
also they have traveled a ton and havent been home that much... i cant wait for the garden

Reaction Score
People lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!. This team is as flawed as it can be with the personel they have. They have no interior defense and a pf withlimited skills but a big heart playing center. DD is long and rangy, but needs meat on his bones and a little shot of consistency. Calhoun is a talented frosh thrust on the big stage and needs a little seasoning. He should sit and watch the game for a few minutes and then come in. I would like to see NG in there to start and RJ the first sub. It is what it is folks, a throw away season with hopes that we can recruit a center and possibly keep everyone another year. As for timeouts, they are overated and Ollie needs to see what these guys are made of. He is not JC who needed to micro-manage all that went on. I think he is doing the best he can with the talent pool of players he has.

Reaction Score
like i said on another thread, every game this team plays is gonna be a slog fest. that is how this team is gonna have to win. this team doesnt have the depth to get out in transition and run. the only thing they can rely on is the fact they can play good defense. the only thing that is getting annoying is bazz not taking any shots or pushing the tempo in the first half, and the fact that the team feeds off his energy, or lack there of. needless to say most of the squad is banged up so, i am not necessarily worried about the margin of victory, but the fact that they are wining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom