Anyone know how our three young bigs have been practicing? | The Boneyard

Anyone know how our three young bigs have been practicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably something like this:

But in all seriousness, I haven't heard anything reported yet. When Fraschilla was at UConn's practice, I asked him a question about Amida Brimah practicing. Didn't really answer my question, but said he loves Brimah's potential:

Love potential! RT @tcf_15: @franfraschilla Was Amida Brimah practicing? I know he took fall in first practice. Curious if he was held out.

And there was an article out there earlier with a quote from Shabazz saying that he thinks the front court is better than the back court.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We also have these nuggets per Glen Miller via Husky Nan:

“Kentan Facey is a long, rangy athlete. He’s only been playing basketball for 4-5 years so right now he’s a better defender and shot blocker [than scorer]. He can defend the perimeter well. We’re hopeful of getting some good news regarding his eligibility soon”.
“Amida Brimah is a diamond in the rough and we feel really lucky in getting him. He’s another great shot blocker”.
“Phil Nolan showed some flashes of brilliance last year. Another long, rangy athlete. He’s possibly the starting 5. We’re expecting more scoring and rebounding out him”.

The combination of the the "Diamond in the rough" and "Another Great Shot Blocker" has me doing cartwheels about Brimah. Another explicitly connects him to the Block Shot U Era, Thabeet, Mek, Etc.

Reaction Score
Don't want to bring in any of the PC trolls but there is a reason we didn't go that hard after Chukwu and most of us didn't really care that we didn't get him.

Reaction Score
I do believe Chuckwu was quoted as saying UConn already has their center.

C

Chief00

Besides his rawness the concern is his strength, unfortunately for this year's edition that's tough to stimulate at practice the muscle we will face game day.

Reaction Score
David Borges@DaveBorges 47s
Asked Shabazz Napier who's surprised him so far in practices. His immediate response: "Amida (Brimah). Defensively, he's incredible." #UConn

Awesome news--we honestly have positions 1-4 stacked with no worries-- if he can be something similar to a young Hasheem --perhaps 20 minutes and 2-3 blocks backed by Nolan and the occasional double big with either Olander or facey--we might just be much better than anyone thinks.

Reaction Score
If Brimah plays double figure minutes because he's earned it with his play and not because of foul trouble, I think they will be strong enough in the middle. I am really hoping Nolan shows signs of consistency and confidence from the get go this year as that will also be a very good sign of stability there. We know what we can get from Tyler and that's fine too........3 different looks at the C spot actually. And if they play a smaller team they can have Giffey play the middle (lol) as he did a nice job in some short minutes last year!!

Love their depth and if Kenton is made available by our brothers in the NCAA it grows another spot!

Reaction Score
I am really hoping Nolan shows signs of consistency and confidence from the get go this year as that will also be a very good sign of stability there.

I like his potential. That game at the end of the season where he made that nice move and pass to DD for the dunk was incredible. He's long, mobile, and athletic. And he can shoot with range. If he can get stronger, defend in the post, and rebound, he could be a good one.

Reaction Score
A rotation at the 5 that consists of Nolan,Olander,Brimah would not keep me up at night.

SF Giffey/Omar
PF Daniels
C Nolan
SG Boat
PG Bazz

If this starting five can rebound consistently it can score a lot of points really quickly. If this team can get solid contribution from the new kids,rebound and take care of the ball this team WILL BE a very very tough out come march because your going to have to score a ton of points to beat them.

Reaction Score
I like his potential. That game at the end of the season where he made that nice move and pass to DD for the dunk was incredible. He's long, mobile, and athletic. And he can shoot with range. If he can get stronger, defend in the post, and rebound, he could be a good one.

Nolan's the key to me. If he can be the stable, tough Rod Sellers guy for 20-25 minutes then we're in great shape. Everyone else can handle it from there.

Reaction Score
Nolan's the key to me. If he can be the stable, tough Rod Sellers guy for 20-25 minutes then we're in great shape. Everyone else can handle it from there.

I don't foresee him bashing a hated Dukie's head onto the hardwood (unfortunately:D)

Reaction Score
KO has said he is looking for someone to step up and separate themselves for the 5 position. I don't care who, I just hope one of them really improves and will play25-30 minutes a game. Much better than center by committee.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
All we need from Nolan and Brimah are rebounds, defense, and maybe 4-5 fouls each to keep the opposing offense honest.

If one of them can turn into Charles Okwandu circa 2011, we will be fine. With Bazz, Boat, DD, and Omar manning the 1-4, we don't need point production out of the 5 spot. We need rebounds and defense, but any points from the 5 will be gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom