Anyone doze off? | The Boneyard

Anyone doze off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I stayed awake for the whole game even after a halftime bowl of home made chili and a couple of Magic Hat's. A dozen games into the season I probably would have nodded off midway through the second half. Especially if the game was later in the evening. I thought the last 10 minutes was almost difficult to watch.

I just wanted to be the 1st to complain.

Reaction Score
There are so many interesting pieces to this team right down to TLaw and Polly imo. I'll be watching all the way through more often than not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VTC - I will agree that the last 10 minutes was pretty poor - I really think that was exactly what Geno wanted against Jen. Against anyone else except Cinci or Temple he would still be coaching and still be putting real line-ups out there. He just really did not want Uconn to continue to score so he ran the rookie, the ACL returnee, the two walk ons and Kiah out there to not run good offense and not score too many points. That is not a line-up we will see many times even in big blow outs.

Reaction Score
VTC - I will agree that the last 10 minutes was pretty poor - I really think that was exactly what Geno wanted against Jen. Against anyone else except Cinci or Temple he would still be coaching and still be putting real line-ups out there. He just really did not want Uconn to continue to score so he ran the rookie, the ACL returnee, the two walk ons and Kiah out there to not run good offense and not score too many points. That is not a line-up we will see many times even in big blow outs.
True. I would have liked to see Jefferson or Hartley in the late lineup just to run a good enough offense to allow the other players to show more of what they can do, but not run up the score.

Reaction Score
i think i discovered something that will keep my attention thru most games. saniya chong is special, and i think will become one of the best ever at uconn. she did not appear to me to be the least bit awed in her first real game. she is really quick, she'll take it to the hoop and shoot, or drop off a pass to the wing, as she did very nicely one time in the first half.she brings the ball down the court "in attack mode", and appears to have great vision of what's going on around her. she appears to have a great " basketball head". anytime she's on the court she will have my undivided attention, as i think that she will be flat out exciting to watch. i know that her teammates better stay alert when she has the ball.

Reaction Score
It made me a bit sad watching the game to realize that the new conference will result in way too many lop-sided games, especially after this season. East Carolina? Tulsa? OOC games will really be critical.

Jim

Reaction Score
I think the key to watching UCONN games this year is to ignore the scoreboard, break the game into 4 minute segments, and focus on different viewing objectives in each segment.

At the start of the game focus on how long the fans have to keep standing and clapping, and how long it take for UCONN to take a double digit lead. In the second 4 minute segment focus on who comes off the bench first, who sits down, and how long does it take for UCONN to take a 20 point lead. In the third segment you need to focus on which players will get double-doubles by halftime. The fourth segment is the toughest for maintaining focus. You have to determine which comes first -- the 30 point lead or Geno loosening his tie at watching the bench players let the opposing team reach 10 points. The last 4 minute segment of the half is loaded with action. Will the team get to a 40 point lead before the break? Who will be the second and third players to get double-doubles the first half? Who will Kerith interview going into the locker room?

At halftime you can relax a bit, make a run to the restroom, and let your mind drift a bit to issues important to BoneYarders, like "Where did CD get the outfit she's wearing?" Or "How much are the Fighting Irish and Lady Vols down at halftime?"

Jim

Reaction Score
You have to be ready to focus again when the second half starts. Pay close attention to which happens first -- does UCONN swish the ball through the net or does the ball actually touch the floor? The second 4 minute segment should focus on who is the first to sit down for the rest of the afternoon after scoring 20+ points, whether Kiah's offensive game has improved, and whether Geno makes the team play zone before or after the 50 point lead. In the third segment the important question will be...yawn....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. Wha?!? What? Oh. And in the last segment of the game, who will score first TLaw or Polly, will Geno call off the Huskies before they hit triple digits, and which player will Kerith interview after the game.

Reaction Score
I stayed awake for the whole game even after a halftime bowl of home made chili and a couple of Magic Hat's. A dozen games into the season I probably would have nodded off midway through the second half. Especially if the game was later in the evening. I thought the last 10 minutes was almost difficult to watch.

I just wanted to be the 1st to complain.

You must have slept a lot last year:

Date Opponent Result

11/02/12 vs. Indiana Univ. (PA) W, 105-28
11/07/12 vs. Holy Family # W, 119-50
11/11/12 vs. College of Charleston W, 103-39
11/18/12 at Texas A&M W, 81-50
11/22/12 vs. Wake Forest W, 95-34
11/23/12 vs. Marist W, 81-39
11/24/12 vs. Purdue W, 91-57
11/28/12 vs. Colgate W, 101-41
12/19/12 vs. Oakland W, 97-25
12/22/12 at Hartford W, 102-45
12/29/12 at Stanford W, 61-35
12/31/12 at Oregon W, 95-51
01/09/13 at Georgetown W, 75-48
01/12/13 at Marquette W, 85-51
01/19/13 vs. Syracuse W, 87-62
01/21/13 vs. Duke W, 79-49
01/25/13 at Cincinnsti W, 67-31
01/29/13 vs. Villanova W, 76-43
02/05/13 vs. Marquette W, 94-37
02/10/13 vs. DePaul W, 91-44
02/12/13 at Providence W, 105-49
02/16/13 at Rutgers W, 65-45
02/23/13 vs. Seton Hall W, 90-30
02/26/13 vs. Pittsburgh W, 76-36
03/02/13 at USF W, 85-51
03/10/13 vs. DePaul W, 94-61
03/23/13 vs. Idaho W, 105-37
03/25/13 vs. Vanderbilt W, 77-44
03/30/13 vs. Maryland W, 76-50
04/01/13 vs. Kentucky W, 83-53
04/09/13 vs. Louisville W, 93-60

I count 31 "snoozers". I agree that the AAC offers little competiton this year and less next, but is it really that much worse than the last several years? Like some others and like the team I have learned to stop watching the scoreboard and enjoy one possession at a time. Beautiful basketball is still beautiful with a 25+ point lead.

Reaction Score
i think i discovered something that will keep my attention thru most games. saniya chong is special, and i think will become one of the best ever at uconn. she did not appear to me to be the least bit awed in her first real game. she is really quick, she'll take it to the hoop and shoot, or drop off a pass to the wing, as she did very nicely one time in the first half.she brings the ball down the court "in attack mode", and appears to have great vision of what's going on around her. she appears to have a great " basketball head". anytime she's on the court she will have my undivided attention, as i think that she will be flat out exciting to watch. i know that her teammates better stay alert when she has the ball.

+1 on everything you said, boontonbomber.

Saniya averaged 9.1 assists per game last year, as a senior at Ossining High…………….it should have been 13 to 14 assists per game because her teammates either dropped passes or missed layups several times per game that would have qualified as an assist had the play been completed.

Saniya is a GREAT passer! When she gets more comfortable with the offense, and with her teammates offensive tendencies and movements…......……. you’re right……her teammates better stay alert when Saniya has the ball in her hands!...............cause it's coming their way, with some zip on it, if they're open for even a split second..................ask Geno what he's beginning to see in practice and what he saw last year when he recruited her. He knows.......and he can't wait for it to starting happening for his Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was nodding off a little. I've fallen asleep during a few games and I get annoyed every time, even if they're blowouts.
I've never fallen asleep during a NCAA tournament game before. Those are too important. Lol

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
VTC - He just really did not want Uconn to continue to score so he ran the rookie, the ACL returnee, the two walk ons and Kiah out there to not run good offense and not score too many points. That is not a line-up we will see many times even in big blow outs.

I disagree. I think that lineup was intended for player development purposes, and it was a welcome luxury to be able to give them that many minutes so they could really practice against an unfamiliar opponent. I'm sure he and the assistant coaches accumulated a long list of items to be worked on and corrected in case these players have to play when they are actually needed.

It's clear based on the substitution pattern so far that all nine scholarship athletes will all be part of the regular rotation even in competitive games that are yet to be decided.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It made me a bit sad watching the game to realize that the new conference will result in way too many lop-sided games, especially after this season. East Carolina? Tulsa? OOC games will really be critical.
How is that very much different from Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Pitt, etc? People seem to forget that several of the teams in the AAC made the NCAA's last year and several others made the NIT, with Tulane making it to the 3rd round. SMU made it to the NIT as well. tulsa made it to the NCAA's and only lost to Stanford by 14 in the 1st round. USF made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA's. Now I'm not saying the new league will be anything close to the old one - losing ND, Rutgers, Depaul, Syracuse, SJU, L'ville etc. will suck in the short term. But programs like Syracuse, SJU and a few others used to suck big time in the old big east. I'm not saying the AAC will be any good in the long run - but hopefully better than people think, and hopefully UCONN can vamoose sooner rather than later...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yes, it was a 55 point blowout. No, the last portion of the game was not riveting. No, we did not see the highest brand of basketball we need to see for 40 minutes. Yes, we will show just that by season's end. And yes, UConn could lose a game as a result of taking time to develop. No, teams like Hartford will not be of that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom