Any space for UMass football in all this conference madness? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Any space for UMass football in all this conference madness?

Reaction Score
DSU has a nice campus further south than UD

DSU.jpg

Reaction Score
What I do know about Delaware is that last year they were beaten by Bill and Mary, Elon, Richmond, Villanova, and finally SD State beat them by 36 points...

In 2021...they went 5-6 in the CAA...when you lose to Stony Brook and Rhode Island, well, maybe you might not be ready for the center ring.

That's pretty much my thought...We have too many programs supposedly in the same dovision competimg for the same trophy.

Delaware, according to Sagarin, is at the power level of Tarleton State and Princeton...but I do give you that there are similarly weak FBS teams.....FIU, Ark State, and poor ole UMass (at Sagarin #190, the lowest ranked FBS).

In my thinking, the Bell Curve stretch between Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State....and Arkansas State, UMass is massive.

I do hope there will be a remake of divisions that are more competitive from top to bottom, much smaller than 134 programs...

Reaction Score
What I do know about Delaware is that last year they were beaten by Bill and Mary, Elon, Richmond, Villanova, and finally SD State beat them by 36 points...

In 2021...they went 5-6 in the CAA...when you lose to Stony Brook and Rhode Island, well, maybe you might not be ready for the center ring.

That's pretty much my thought...We have too many programs supposedly in the same dovision competimg for the same trophy.

Delaware, according to Sagarin, is at the power level of Tarleton State and Princeton...but I do give you that there are similarly weak FBS teams.....FIU, Ark State, and poor ole UMass (at Sagarin #190, the lowest ranked FBS).

In my thinking, the Bell Curve stretch between Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State....and Arkansas State, UMass is massive.

I do hope there will be a remake of divisions that are more competitive from top to bottom, much smaller than 134 programs...
No way. If I want to watch an exclusive division of college football elite, I’ll just watch the NFL instead. The beauty of college sports is it inclusivity of fan bases across the country hoping to win titles, even if only very remotely possible. It’s easy for an FSU of Bama fan to feel the way you do but you are asking to demote dozens of programs. Many of those programs, like App St, routinely give power schools all they can handle or more.

For the rest of us, demotion of 80-90 schools will just lead to complete alienation. I won’t watch college football in that environment. When UConn was FCS, I barely watched college football at all. The same will go for fans from Fresno to Akron to Amherst. It’s a terrible idea.

Reaction Score
Maybe relegation...heck, USF has won just 1 of their lasr 34 against FBS...

With relegation...something to fight to win...or lose.

Good luck USF against Alabama this week....

Maybe we need three columns...W's...L's...and MV's.

If USF keeps the score differential down to four TD's, that is a Moral Victory.

Give Appy State those MV's....

I grant you, when some of the lower end teams play an Ohio State, Alabama...it is sort of their bowl game..

I understand....I sometimes waste a couple of bucks when the lotto hits 800 million. Fun to dream and have your hat in the ring.

Reaction Score
There was an old tradition at FSU home games...the voice of the Seminoles would announce the Slippery Rock score and we all roared if they were ahead...(late 70's through the 80's). Kind of adopted The Rock.

I peeked this year and Slippery Rock is preseason ranked #15....DII

Ferris State ranked #1
Colorado School of Mines #2
Grand Valley State #3

Reaction Score
It would probably need UConn and others to put together the makings of a northeastern alliance to show Nova the way. Leadership isn’t there to initiate change within the program.
Meanwhile, Georgetown schedules Sacred Heart and Stonehill and no one notices a problem.

But as to Delaware, I think they're calling the moving trucks and UMass is not. How the CAA responds will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Jax State lost by 17 to a very, very bad FSU in...2020

....the same FSU that Miami beat by 42 points, Notre Dame by 16, Louisville by 32 , NC State by 16...

You are snarky...but delusional about some teams relative power.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The other question to ask is if the Big East is too small with 11 schools? Would 5-7 more schools strengthen the attractiveness for TV and streaming?
It is. It’s time to at least add Gonzaga.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I agree. Three subdivisions of 80-100 schools is best.

1-A: ND, B1G, SEC, ACC, Big 12, OSU, WSU, UConn, Army, MW, AAC
1-AA: UMass, Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA, Big Sky, MVFC, CAA, UAC, Southern
1-AAA: Ivy, Pioneer, Patriot, Southland, SWAC, MEAC, Big South/OVC, NEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr