Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome named to Sophomore All American Team | The Boneyard

Ansonia's Arkeel Newsome named to Sophomore All American Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aside from Height and weight anyone have numbers on this kid? Is he a legitimate D1 prospect or just puts up crazy numbers against inferior HS competition.

Reaction Score
Aside from Height and weight anyone have numbers on this kid? Is he a legitimate D1 prospect or just puts up crazy numbers against inferior HS competition.

He's legit. Google him, he's been a standout at many camps and combines since the 7th grade.

Reaction Score
I have the numbers are just mind boggling. Just concerned about his size, although he is still very young and may grow a bit more before he gets to college. If he can add a few inches and bulk up while keeping his agility, speed and quickness, Yikes!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
c12 told me in the fall that the doctors thought another 2 inches of growth was likely. 1-3 was the spread. or something like that.

Reaction Score
c12 told me in the fall that the doctors thought another 2 inches of growth was likely. 1-3 was the spread. or something like that.

Nice. 5'10" with some added muscle is better than 5'8" and it looks like a generous 5'8". He's still just a sophomore, so plenty of time to see how he develops. But without a doubt his numbers/production is eye popping.

Reaction Score
I don't believe height is very important for RBs. The shoter they are, the harder it is to find them behind the o-line. Rice and Sproles are 5'8" and 5'6" and they are outstanding backs. They also make smaller targets, can be harder to get solid hits on, and tend to have a very low center of gravity which helps the agility and footwork.

I don't care how short he is, if he can find a seam, hit it, hold onto the ball, outrun the defense, and throw a block or two, we want him. We need to sign this kid, he could/should be one of the top 5 RBs in the country when he graduates.

Reaction Score
People are worried about his size? He's already as big as McCombs.

A lot of people knock McCombs size though. Just wish we had a bigger bruising back. Just fits the pro style offense better I think. We don't run an offense like WVU where smaller backs can get out into space and have huge running lanes.

Reaction Score
I'm with WingU-Conn. Those smaller backs are hard to find and get a solid hit on. The whole size concern is overrated. Talent is talent. He may not get much taller but he will bulk up. He weighed 150 as a frosh, 173 as a soph. He will likely be around 185-190 at the start of camp in August. He has a great work ethic. His stats were obviously ridiculous this season. A lot of that is due to having a big, veteran Oline. Those lineman graduate. So, his numbers will likely come down next season, for a few reasons. One, he'll have an inexperienced Oline. Two, he'll have a more athletic QB running the offense. Finally, they return a ton of talent and speed at the skill positions. Which means, he will have more weapons around him, who will take away some of his touches. I'd be shocked if he even comes close to production he had this season. I could see him with over 2500 yards and 45 TDs in 2012, still pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
According to his HC, he's already hearing from BC, UConn, Miami, Iowa, and FSU.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He has something that is needed at UConn and that is serious speed. I for one am not worried he is not a 6 foot 210 back. If he ends up at 5'10" or so and 185 lbs that would be fine with me.

Reaction Score
I'm with WingU-Conn. Those smaller backs are hard to find and get a solid hit on. The whole size concern is overrated. Talent is talent. He may not get much taller but he will bulk up. He weighed 150 as a frosh, 173 as a soph. He will likely be around 185-190 at the start of camp in August. He has a great work ethic. His stats were obviously ridiculous this season. A lot of that is due to having a big, veteran Oline. Those lineman graduate. So, his numbers will likely come down next season, for a few reasons. One, he'll have an inexperienced Oline. Two, he'll have a more athletic QB running the offense. Finally, they return a ton of talent and speed at the skill positions. Which means, he will have more weapons around him, who will take away some of his touches. I'd be shocked if he even comes close to production he had this season. I could see him with over 2500 yards and 45 TDs in 2012, still pretty impressive.

He was one of the leading rushers in the nation this year and the star of a great football team. Even if there are a few more weapons around him, why would he get less touches? I suspect only if he had an injury, a dumb coach or his team was consistently up 48-0 at the half.

His stats were mind boggling this year and yes, he will likely drop off with respect to the numbers, but mainly because this year was so spectacular (not because of the reasons you suggest). Barring injury, I bet his production will be fairly close to what he did this year (somewhere in the 3,000+ yards and 50 TDs range).

Who knows.....

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
He was one of the leading rushers in the nation this year and the star of a great football team. Even if there are a few more weapons around him, why would he get less touches? I suspect only if he had an injury, a dumb coach or his team was consistently up 48-0 at the half.

His stats were mind boggling this year and yes, he will likely drop off with respect to the numbers, but mainly because this year was so spectacular (not because of the reasons you suggest). Barring injury, I bet his production will be fairly close to what he did this year (somewhere in the 3,000+ yards and 50 TDs range).

Who knows.....

What is the national record for rushing yards in a High School career? Anyone know? I would think that Newsome should have a shot at it (if he remains healthy) with the sophmore season he had and 2 more years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
11,232 career rushing yards - Ken Hall, Sugar Land (Texas), 1950-53

This record was once thought to be untouchable. However three players have surpassed the 10,000 yard mark over the last decade. Still the closest player was over 1,000 yards short of Hall's mark. A player would have to average 2,808 yards over 4 years just to tie the mark.

Reaction Score
Newsome has 4,573 career rushing yards. So, it's not impossible.

He will likely break the CT career rushing record 8,279 yards and could break the state career TD record of 114, both held by Alex Thomas (Ansonia/Yale). He currently has 78 career TDs and could break Thomas' TD record as a junior.

Reaction Score
11,232 career rushing yards - Ken Hall, Sugar Land (Texas), 1950-53

This record was once thought to be untouchable. However three players have surpassed the 10,000 yard mark over the last decade. Still the closest player was over 1,000 yards short of Hall's mark. A player would have to average 2,808 yards over 4 years just to tie the mark.

Correction: Johnathan Gray came within 310 yards of the national rushing total for a career. He rushed for 10,922 after rushing for 3,886 this season.

Reaction Score
Newsome has 4,573 career rushing yards. So, it's not impossible.

He will likely break the CT career rushing record 8,279 yards and could break the state career TD record of 114, both held by Alex Thomas (Ansonia/Yale). He currently has 78 career TDs and could break Thomas' TD record as a junior.

Notice the HS alma mater for Thomas. They feed the RB position at Ansonia. It's seemed that way for years. They are a class M school. They don't play teams in the SCC. I would love to see other CT prospects play in the SCC, which I think is the best conference in the state. Gray put up national record type numbers in big time Texas football. Can't wait to see him in college. But back to Newsome. Idk, maybe I am jaded to CT running backs from teams that run as much as Ansonia does. Just not sold yet. Don't hate me now. He's still only a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Thomas had a pretty productive career at Yale, leading them in rushing the last two seasons. Dobbs will end up playing somewhere, hopefully at UConn, next year. The scary part is Newsome is the most dynamic of the three. He is a threat catching the ball and has the speed that neither Thomas nor Dobbs had. He has two more years of HS. He's scary good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom