Another point of view | The Boneyard

Another point of view

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Huskies are young and this is an emotional team. It needed a kick in the pants to get past Baylor and it took just about everything to do it. It’s not unusual for a team, any team, to have a letdown after an emotional win like the Baylor game and this UConn team seems more susceptible to a letdown than other Husky squads. We’ve never seen a UConn team this young and inexperienced in big games. I wasn’t at all surprised that they lost last night.

I remember years ago Shea talking about a game where the team had to come back and win. Her quote was something like, “we got punched in the mouth last year and fell apart. This year we got punched and we punched them back”. Unfortunately, it takes experience to learn how to punch back. They will learn.

For the literalists in our group- it was a metaphorical punch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Agree with you ?%. And I think the majority of the WBB Forum posters that are here during the season do too. But it seems to me that as the tournament progresses, more and more "new" posters arrive and they are not as supportive. I hope that they are sticking around and read your OP.
Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I remember years ago Shea talking about a game where the team had to come back and win. Her quote was something like, “we got punched in the mouth last year and fell apart. This year we got punched and we punched them back”. Unfortunately, it takes experience to learn how to punch back. They will learn.
Unfortunately, we don’t get enough experience in competitive games against teams with different styles of play in our weak conference. Missing what probably would have been competitive games in the regular season against Louisville and Baylor to covid didn’t help.
This team certainly gave us a lot of enjoyment this season. As Nan said they will learn and we can look forward to an exciting future for our favorite team.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno attributed it to immaturity. I think he hit the nail on the head. It's great to be a fun loving group where everybody loves each other, but you still have to learn how to react in the face of adversity. Hopefully, they will learn from this.

But as Geno pointed out, next year there will be ten freshmen and sophomores on the team. And teams like Stanford, South Carolina, and Baylor are not going away. It doesn't help that we have to play so many games against the weak Big East.

Reaction Score
The Huskies are young and this is an emotional team. It needed a kick in the pants to get past Baylor and it took just about everything to do it. It’s not unusual for a team, any team, to have a letdown after an emotional win like the Baylor game and this UConn team seems more susceptible to a letdown than other Husky squads. We’ve never seen a UConn team this young and inexperienced in big games. I wasn’t at all surprised that they lost last night.

In the moment, I was surprised that they lost. But upon reflection it wasn't that shocking. Their youth, the pandemic getting in the way of two major out-of-conference match-ups, the emotional roller coaster of the Baylor win, the early tournament absence of Geno, then Shea - those all took a toll.

But I really like this team's energy and panache. I think great things are still to come!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the moment, I was surprised that they lost. But upon reflection it wasn't that shocking. Their youth, the pandemic getting the way of two major out-of-conference match-ups, the emotional roller coaster of the Baylor win, the early tournament absence of Geno, then Shea - those all took a toll.

But I really like this team's energy and panache. I think great things are still to come!
I really like your thoughts. Welcome to the board. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
One of the observations over the last few seasons is we are predominantly a finesse team without ultra-athletic guard. No team has every thing, but these gaps have hurt us over the past few years. Outside of AE we haven't had a physical presence inside since Dolson/Tuck, and we haven't had an athletic guard since Jefferson/Nurse. I am looking forward to AE filling one of those gaps.

Reaction Score
Geno attributed it to immaturity. I think he hit the nail on the head. It's great to be a fun loving group where everybody loves each other, but you still have to learn how to react in the face of adversity. Hopefully, they will learn from this.

But as Geno pointed out, next year there will be ten freshmen and sophomores on the team. And teams like Stanford, South Carolina, and Baylor are not going away. It doesn't help that we have to play so many games against the weak Big East.
Would you prefer they AAC? Comparatively the Big East is a heck of a lot better. Also I would hope they schedule some strong non-conference games. This season was still odd due to COVID.

Reaction Score

Good point that the current quality of our conference is a drawback during these late season periods. We haven't played enough tough games for a team for so young. Having said that, the Jr's on the team had good experience and missed a ton of layups that established the confidence of the other team. This is a basic shot. We tend to rush it most of the time thinking it might get blocked. This is one major area that needs work. Foul shooting is another.

Reaction Score
The conference has little to do with it. This season we still beat Baylor, South Carolina, Tennessee on the road, and Iowa. Sure it would have been nice to play Louisville as well, but I'm not sure what else people are looking for. Geno tries to schedule the top teams in different conferences. South Carolina plays in the vaunted SEC and still couldn't find a way to get past the semi-final. No ACC teams made it to the final four. No B1G teams made it to the final four. No Big 12 teams made it to the final four.

Reaction Score
Ari MacDonald was playing with a chip on her shoulder for being snubbed for accolades probably due her to her performance in this year's tournament. I think she is a fifth-year senior. A tremendously quick defense player. She is the only player to keep up with Paige around the picks set for her this year. She fronted Paige when they tried to Post her up. She was the MVP in all ways. It's true we were out muscled and the Arizona intensity level we could not match. Let's get them next year, girls!!!!

Reaction Score
Dare I watch the replay?
When playing with one big why have them positioned at top of the key?
Hats off to Arizona, they were very good.

Ps: Thank god there’s not a consolation game, SC looked awesome

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Experience (or the lack thereof) was certainly a big part of the story.
Absence of an effective post presence on offense (noted in Tony's thread)
was a surely a factor as well.

If we were effective inside as in some of our games,
it would have caused Arizona to double and triple more; leaving more space and
opportunity for the perimeter.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think some of the teams had a lot more fire and emotion than UConn had. Did you see how Brink yelled and stared after blocking a shot. It was strange how this was Arizona's first FF and UConn's 13th straight and Arizona's coaches seemed to adjust better than UConn's. Next season maybe the more experienced players will play better against the elite teams.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A question for which I have no answer.....perhaps there is no answer:

Did the absence of Shea hurt our perimeter play?

Reaction Score
A question for which I have no answer.....perhaps there is no answer:

Did the absence of Shea hurt our perimeter play?
Seeing as how we lost the game due to ineffective post play, I would say no. The stats from 1-3 were pretty even; 4-5 was a disaster.

Reaction Score
I know we are young and will come back stronger. But, the juniors were the ones missing most of the layups.....when can we expect that to stop?
Also, the "Punch in the mouth" seem to be getting closer to being literal rather than figurative.

Reaction Score
I know we are young and will come back stronger. But, the juniors were the ones missing most of the layups.....when can we expect that to stop?
Also, the "Punch in the mouth" seem to be getting closer to being literal rather than figurative.

It was so strange to watch Liv miss so many shots underneath. It felt like she was expecting her shots to be blocked when she had the height advantage. I don't think she will ever be a physical player like AE,

Reaction Score

unfortunately, 3 of our starters have just played their 3rd year. Learning to punch back should have been learned already.

Reaction Score
We don't have depth. The benches only scored 2 pts yesterday. Then when your starters couldn't score you are in a big trouble.

We are still young and honestly I don't believe we can beat Stanford, so to lose early or late seems no difference.

We have done our best and next year will be a strong team with so many talent players. I still have confident next year.

Reaction Score
there’s a lot to like of this team and I think we get tougher next year. What we are missing is a savvy and crafty post player with a midrange game like Pheesa or Tuck. I think our guard play and defense will be fine but we just don’t have that crafty smart post player that will fight for 14 points and get us critical baskets down low in tough games. I don’t think we get that next year as the class doesn’t have that player so we will need AE to develop more moves and have a better feel around the basket to eliminate fouls and finish better. With Azzi it will certainly help give more opportunities for the bigs. I believe Geno should consider looking at the portal for a crafty big, I think we are missing that for the team.

Reaction Score

Good post! Agree 100%, but I will say if Nika never turns her ankle, I think we win this game. We definitely dropped a notch when she went down. Though she did play a few minutes, it was clear to me she was not 100%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom