Another perspective | The Boneyard

Another perspective

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, the Huskies beat a team by 41 points and I see people are freaking out about the 21 turnovers. OK, I get it. If the Huskies played a “good team” (one, I suppose, that doesn’t make turnovers), the turnovers could hurt them. If you think about it, that makes no sense. The 21 turnovers happened against Georgetown, not some other team, and that has nothing to do with how many turnovers they’ll have against any other opponent. UConn had 6 turnovers in its last game - that meant zero in this game, just the way the 21 TOs today mean zero to the next game. I don’t get why people stress themselves out over something that means nothing in the big picture.

That’s not really where I was going with this post, though. What I wanted to point out is that as we approach the post-season, the Huskies are finding ways to win. That’s the point, right, to just win, baby, and move on? I know Geno has created this fandom monster that expects a dominating team that plays with precision exactly the same way every game but that’s not this team. Forcing a square peg into a round hole has never worked so I don’t know why you expect it to now. This team is flawed, as most teams are, mostly due to injuries/illness, youth at key positions, and simple human frailty. The Huskies are finding ways to compensate for the flaws. Whatever they need to do each game isn’t always pretty, but it’s been effective, and they are getting the wins.

Those of you waiting for the pretty passing, flowing offense, and dominating defense of days gone are doomed to disappointment. Those of us enjoying watching the team gritting out a win through adversity and seeing players grow are having a ball. I like the view better from where I’m sitting.

Reaction Score
There is a huge dynamic, even with UConn, about competing with a team that is hands-down inferior to you. There is the imminent possibility that you are going to play down to your competition. It is what it is.
It happens to me big-time with golf. I play best on the most challenging tracks against the best players. It's the matter of focus and concentration.
Another aspect of this is that less talented players do not do what you anticipate them to do. They do not know the game as well as you do, so they react sometimes unpredictably. I can't believe they didn't go for that fake. They were supposed to. It was perfect. Is that player really giving me that shot? No way. Throws off your rhythm. Not to scare anyone: injuries often happen in these situations. Only have a couple more of these to go.
I totaled my bicycle in a Ma and Pa bike race one time. Suddenly someone fell in front of me and I had no choice but to go over top of their bike, wrecking my frame. I'll say til I die that teams in competitive conferences have a huge advantage. Geno does a great job considering he has to play too many of these games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hmm No,

I will continue to be concerned in my little corner just as the coaches are. Geno said it himself. When we are good, we are very good but we have to mentally focus on not taking things for granted. Fans can certainly enjoy a convincing win but be concerned regarding the big picture.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So, the Huskies beat a team by 41 points and I see people are freaking out about the 21 turnovers. OK, I get it. If the Huskies played a “good team” (one, I suppose, that doesn’t make turnovers), the turnovers could hurt them.

Nan, FYI
I mentioned your post in the thread on the Pressers.

Reaction Score
So, the Huskies beat a team by 41 points and I see people are freaking out about the 21 turnovers. OK, I get it. If the Huskies played a “good team” (one, I suppose, that doesn’t make turnovers), the turnovers could hurt them. If you think about it, that makes no sense. The 21 turnovers happened against Georgetown, not some other team, and that has nothing to do with how many turnovers they’ll have against any other opponent. UConn had 6 turnovers in its last game - that meant zero in this game, just the way the 21 TOs today mean zero to the next game. I don’t get why people stress themselves out over something that means nothing in the big picture.

That’s not really where I was going with this post, though. What I wanted to point out is that as we approach the post-season, the Huskies are finding ways to win. That’s the point, right, to just win, baby, and move on? I know Geno has created this fandom monster that expects a dominating team that plays with precision exactly the same way every game but that’s not this team. Forcing a square peg into a round hole has never worked so I don’t know why you expect it to now. This team is flawed, as most teams are, mostly due to injuries/illness, youth at key positions, and simple human frailty. The Huskies are finding ways to compensate for the flaws. Whatever they need to do each game isn’t always pretty, but it’s been effective, and they are getting the wins.

Those of you waiting for the pretty passing, flowing offense, and dominating defense of days gone are doomed to disappointment. Those of us enjoying watching the team gritting out a win through adversity and seeing players grow are having a ball. I like the view better from where I’m sitting.
WE who lived to see the pretty passing and great 3 ball shooting learned to be WCBB fans on that festive basketball. Uconn hasn't lost that. Like in old the moment of great passing is still there--it never occurred for 40 minutes.
When we complain about the turnovers, we know, as Geno knows, in the time ahead, if Uconn and we are so blessed, turnovers could spell doom. When fans complain about specifics--that's a fans doing what fans do.
When we complain about a specific player that's a bit outside of a true Uconn fan's prerogative.
Honest people know ALL humans are FLAWED. That is the common human condition as are all Boneyard posters. Except ME, I'm the only perfect one!!

Reaction Score
I posted this in the postgame thread, but more appropriate here.

The turnovers are troubling, but by quarter they were 8-2-2-9. I am not worrying about the 9 in Q4 as the team didn't push the ball, played in the half-court and were forcing the ball to the subs. The issue that concerns me is the slow and sloppy starts -- now two games in a row.

Reaction Score
How you win is just as important as winning. Everyone enjoys the win, but 21 turnovers will catch up with a team no matter how much grinding takes place. In the run for a national title, you can win all the games you want, but you can't afford to lose just ONE.

Reaction Score
In their most recent games-

Stanford - 8 TO
S.Car - 12
Louisville- 9
N. Car. St- 11
Baylor - 8
Ore. - 12

I do not think that it is a good idea to lose 10 or more scoring chances against those teams. That is the advantage that UConn used to have.

Reaction Score

The turnovers are troubling, but by quarter they were 8-2-2-9. I am not worrying about the 9 in Q4 as the team didn't push the ball, played in the half-court and were forcing the ball to the subs. The issue that concerns me is the slow and sloppy starts -- now two games in a row.

Only offensively. The defense was there until the 4th period.

Reaction Score

Stanford - 8 TO
S.Car - 12
Louisville- 9
N. Car. St- 11
Baylor - 8
Ore. - 12

I do not think that it is a good idea to lose 10 or more scoring chances against those teams. That is the advantage that UConn used to have.

+1

Stanford had only 8 turnovers at Oregon today. That's impressive. But they also scored 10 points in the 1st period so they have other things to worry about.

Reaction Score

Point taken.

Excellent passing team with incisiveness in the half court offense where players can read each other well to be in sync for pretty plays? Hmmm, let's not be unreasonable. First, trying to see where 14 players fit during the preseason sessions and then trying to get them to play as a well-coordinated team through the endless absences of key players with significant time out and almost always a different collection of players left to carry on.....does anyone really expect a polished, coordinated passing team that has perfected the read and react system in both offense and defense? If so, UConn fandom is very much spoiled, indeed.

Flash! The adjustments are not over....when Paige comes back sometime during the playoffs, that's another adjustment - I doubt if she will be allowed to play in the possible three games scheduled daily in the Big East Tournament. It will be during the break between the two tournaments that most of her work will get done. Fortunately, she is an easy one to get in sync with the others even with three major contributors new to her this season: Azzi, Caroline and Dorka. Azzi, no problem - they have worked together before.....and I don't see much of a problem with the other two either. It won't be perfect but it will be very good.

However, one should begin to break into a smile now as visible progress is unfolding before us. Read and react defense has improved a lot, switching zone is getting fine tuned and now that there are 8 solid rotation players healthy, we are seeing the press a little bit. And with better defense comes the extended runs on offense. 4Q collapses are gone....even if Tenn, DePaul, Marquette, etc. are not the best opponents in the schedule. Rebounding is better overall; offensive rebounding has improved. Despite the display of the 3pt shooters on the team against Georgetown (two managed 5 for 9 together), the team is feeling more confident on this count. Finally, the scoring load is more balanced (product of defense being a major engine of the offense).

While half-court offense is still on the development phase, there are encouraging signs there too....some players are getting in better sync, e.g. Dorka and Azzi among them. The three bigs are working together better. So are the guards. Evina has significantly improved her play, feeling fully healthy now. Christyn looks like she is just playing and not thinking. Azzi and Caroline has shown themselves to be good all-around players with reliable offensive skills and aptitude on defense. Dorka has settled in. Aaliyah is rediscovering her strengths. And Nika is getting more comfortable shooting the ball, despite pain in her foot not completely gone. Olivia is showing more consistency in what she does best.

Most of all, the travails they have had to survive this season seems to have elevated their mental strength, rapidly growing into the "no obstacle we can't overcome" level (we'll see more when they get tested in the tournaments). Should they reach the ideal of a UConn team in the time remaining before NCAA tournament, even the most jaded among us would be loving it but it would be patently unfair to expect it. From what I see, the players are capable but there is only so much time left to grow into one. So, appreciate what you see....because it is changing every game.

Keeping growing ladies.....loving your recovery from what could have been a demoralizing season!!!

Ugly wins? Love them now....into the FF and NC12!

Reaction Score

Oh I forgot: Turnovers! Coach is asking them to speed up the game to the level he wants them at come tournament time.....it is only the second game for these 8 players working together, each putting in significant minutes. Why are some of us complaining when these set of players haven't had much time to play together, especially since, as you point out, they won by 41?

If they get to the FF, have 21 TOs in each game and win both by 1, I would still be very happy. regardless of who hits the winning basket.

Reaction Score
Oh I forgot: Turnovers! Coach is asking them to speed up the game to the level he wants them at come tournament time.....it is only the second game for these 8 players working together, each putting in significant minutes. Why are some of us complaining when these set of players haven't had much time to play together, especially since, as you point out, they won by 41?

If they get to the FF, have 21 TOs in each game and win both by 1, I would still be very happy. regardless of who hits the winning basket.
As would we all! Unfortunately, that’s not likely to happen with 21 turnovers per game. Especially, in the Final Four!

Reaction Score
As to turnovers, today Arizona only had 11, but lost to Washington State, who had 17. Michigan had 22 turnovers and defeated a Maryland team that only had 13.

Earlier in the season, people were comparing this UCONN team to the 1996-97 Tennessee team that had 10 losses, but won the national championship. That team was prone to turnovers, partly because of its wild aggressive style. In the national championship game against Old Dominion, each team had 26 turnovers. Kellie Jolly had 11 assists, 9 turnovers, and 5 steals. For Old Dominion, Ticha Penicheiro 8 assists, 11 turnovers, and 8 steals. The sometimes reckless ways of our present UCONN team remind me of that often out of control Tennessee team. I don't think turnovers are a big problem.

Reaction Score
I remember watching (and listening) to Geno after the Stewie crew graduated that he had no one who wanted the responsibility or had what it took to take the pressure last shot. Kia tried to do it but was too streaky. Lost twice in the final four because of that need. It would appear now that UConn has 3 players with that mentality (Paige, Azzi, and Caroline Ducharme). If it comes down to it again I have the faith that now the outcome will be different.

sun

Reaction Score
The announcers also mentioned that UConn rarely gets to the foul line, they're one of the lowest in the nation.
I suspect that's because they don't attack the basket enough inside to draw fouls as a way to score.
That in itself can lead to more passing errors as they get desperate to score with the shot clock running out.
I suspect that will change when Paige gets back on the court and through Geno's tournament leadership.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was curios as to the TO South Carolina has put up to date, since...well after all they are the best in the land. As of this morning; (note: South Carolina website must not have updated stats of yesterday's game with Tenn, website shows 25 games.

South Carolina:
25 games at 368 TO for an AVG: 14.72/gm; If include yesterdays 12 TO @ 26 games at 380 TO, AVG: 14.61/gm

UConn:
24 games at 343 TO for an AVG: 14.29/gm

Reaction Score

Stanford - 8 TO
S.Car - 12
Louisville- 9
N. Car. St- 11
Baylor - 8
Ore. - 12

Thanks for the info. While we have a number of very bright spots, Geno's team will focus on what need to improve. I don't have the stats but just wondering how many turnovers we have had in our five losses this year, also the top five closes scores that resulted in our wins.

My eye test seems to say the number of turnovers has been excessive. With the Huskies not having a true point guard, so many different combinations, and freshmen in the lineup you can point to as the reasons. With so many injured now back perhaps the number of turnovers or types of turnovers can shrink to the mean for good teams of about 10, not yesterday's 21. We continue to have high numbers of walking calls even deep into the season. Many passes into a double-teamed posts were mechanical and head scratching. These turnovers might result in conversion to points at our average rate of 40-50%, that's a lot of points to give up in close games. Value the ball, do the math.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was curios as to the TO South Carolina has put up to date, since...well after all they are the best in the land. As of this morning; (note: South Carolina website must not have updated stats of yesterday's game with Tenn, website shows 25 games.

South Carolina:
25 games at 368 TO for an AVG: 14.72/gm; If include yesterdays 12 TO @ 26 games at 380 TO, AVG: 14.61/gm

UConn:
24 games at 343 TO for an AVG: 14.29/gm
I don't think anyone thinks SC''s success is minimizing TO's. Rebounding and Defense.

Reaction Score
Yes it is possible to win with turnovers, but it is harder. And I am mostly concerned with the turnovers caused not by passing to new team members who have not played in 4 weeks, I am talking about the turnovers caused by dribbling into 3 defenders with no help nearby, or worse the turnover, as I mentioned, caused by lifting you pivot foot way before you start to dribble. That is a freshman or maybe sophomore mistake, not a senior mistake. Yes, you can sit and watch the wins and smile, and then wonder why did we lose in the semi final by one point or in overtime. That is why we also groan over a missed free throw or a lost rebound. UConn has had a motto, others practice until they get it right, we practice until we cannot get it wrong. You do that because you want to win a championship, which is why most of our players come here. Do you think Geno is happy we won but looked really sloppy at times? Do you think the players are satisfied with that.? I think virtually all of the posters are this board are rabid fans and they absolutely love the players and want the best for them. Of course you want them happy, you do not want them like the Russian skater who broke down in tears, nor like the Russian skater who broke out in anger and hate over winning the silver. You love them as we did Simone Biles, you want her to win, and she certainly wants to win, but you support her 100% when she crashes. If I were the coach wanting the best for our ladies, I would be pushing them to fix these errors. I would bet that is just what Geno is doing, and I would bet that is just what the players want him to do. Push us hard to make us better. You don't come here to do ok and party. I am not sure if it is in the Bible or just in a talk I heard, but the thought went something like this. A person was complaining about the hardships he was undergoing, why is God doing this to me. The response from his friend was, God is just trying to teach you. If he stopped doing that, it would mean he had stopped caring about you, and that would be a lot worse. I am sure 99% of us on this have that same thought. Problem for us, of course, is we are not there to teach them, we are only here on the board and all we can do is comment on the flaws and be frustrated, which can sound like complaining. I think it is just sharing frustration. It is meant as an exhortation just in case the players are idiots enough to follow us the way we follow them.

Reaction Score

almost like they need to get punched to get them going. When it mattered they had things locked down pretty tight

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
An additional perspective. We are averaging 1 more TO per game than Stanford, 2 more than NC State and pretty much exactly the same as the Gamecocks. . In other words, Nan is pretty much on target. Every game is its own little world. We also turned GTown over a zillion times. So are we to think that is what to expect regularly any more than how often yesterday represents our typical TO rate? We killed GTown as expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom