Another blow to Big East: Olsen in transfer portal | The Boneyard

Another blow to Big East: Olsen in transfer portal

Reaction Score
Looks like another local sub shop has some NIL money to burn. Dont underestimate how the allure of NIL money is driving this portal.

Reaction Score
The big east continues to lose its stars (last year and this year)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
01389505-37B6-46EF-9FB6-204C7561B15E.jpeg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do find Iowa interesting...except that there will be tons of inevitable comparisons with Clark.
Iowa State is more probable...they have several very talented frosh...including Crooks.
Final four with Olsen? Very good chance...imo.

Reaction Score
I do find Iowa interesting...except that there will be tons of inevitable comparisons with Clark.
Iowa State is more probable...they have several very talented frosh...including Crooks.
Final four with Olsen? Very good chance...imo.
Crooks is at Iowa State...not Iowa.

Reaction Score
Sadly; the Big East is slowly falling apart. UConn came in and saved the league. Even though men’s basketball is still competitive on the women’s side it has fallen tremendously.

Last year I wrote in wishing that Maddie Siegrest would have stayed for her Covid year. That would have been a treat to watch Villanova compete.

The league lost players like Morrow and Parks. I’m not sure of how many more to the portal and graduation.

After this season ended I knew that Duffy would be leaving for a better opportunity. Well deserved for her and family. She was a bright star that the league lost because the league is falling apart.

On the women’s side without UConn the Big East as a whole is no better than the Atlantic 10. We still have Creighton that will make the tournament year after year if they recruit. But how many top 100 players come here? That is unless your name is Connecticut.

The split many years ago seemed perfect for the conference. But now with the super conferences becoming a reality I bet that the Big East wishes that they never would have split up.

I traveled and watched our UConn women play. Games at Rutgers were brutal. Villanova wasn’t a walk over. And do I not mention Notre Dame. Ouch! At DePaul was always a battle. Syracuse still has their game winning basketball from when they luckily beat us.

Where does this conference go from here. With two recent men’s championships one of the larger conferences will finally get off their ass and ask why is UConn still in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Lucy OLson to UConn IMHO would be a BAD fit as she has 2 years remaining in eligibility and would counter act UConn's 2025-2026 recruiting class!
Whereas Kaitlin Chen is a one year pickup!

Reaction Score
Lucy OLson to UConn IMHO would be a BAD fit as she has 2 years remaining in eligibility and would counter act UConn's 2025-2026 recruiting class!
Whereas Kaitlin Chen is a one year pickup!
Lucy Olsen ( that's Olsen with an 'e') is a "rising senior', having just completed her junior year with the Wildcats. She
is 5'9" and averaged 23.3 ppg last year with a 14.3 ppg career average. Per the Villanova
WBB web page ( today , April 10, 2024).

Reaction Score
I thought UConn handled Olsen well this season. Kept her below her scoring average. I don't know how she would do against competition that is not Big East.

Reaction Score
Still trying to wrap my head around this portal thing. I know it’s good for the women to be able to change schools for a better chance to shine. The same for the coaches. But I hate the fact that schools like Iowa/LSU and others get to reload and stack their teams without doing the hard work like long term recruiting or any of the work that other coaches did to get these athletes to their present state. There really should be a limit on how many of these top tier athletes a coach can bring in. Look at Kentucky. The coach is already bringing several top tier players from his VA Tech team, and will likely bring in several others from the portal. Money/portal/NIL will make it really tough for teams that try to build their programs by recruiting high school players. I just hope that the Big East will gain a few top tier or very talented new coaches and the bring in some of these talented athletes. Otherwise, UConn will not have any competition in the league!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
LwrcasefaN: I thought it was clear that going to ISU would mean that team [with Olsen] would have a decent shot at the
final 4 due in part to the frosh who were very good this year...Crooks the best of them.

Did not know Olsen has 2 more years of eligibility...makes her more appealing than having just the one.

Reaction Score
This is about coaches, right?
This whole thing... Money drives it all. Jr. High games were maybe more fun. No question the display of prowess is an amazement. But even stoppage for foul shots gives a moment for a short "ad." Interest for me may be fading...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
LwrcasefaN: I thought it was clear that going to ISU would mean that team [with Olsen] would have a decent shot at the
final 4 due in part to the frosh who were very good this year...Crooks the best of them.

Did not know Olsen has 2 more years of eligibility...makes her more appealing than having just the one.
I believe she only has one year of eligibility, she is in the same class as Amari is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom