Ann Strother | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ann Strother

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Saw Ann while out for dinner this evening. She came into the restaurant and her smile was radiant. We did our best not to stare -- not sure how we did.

Reaction Score
props to Ann for snagging a handsome husband, and a Yale grad at that!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great Video! After viewing the clip, the first clip recommended by youtube is a 1999 game against UCLA when Swin Cash shot the basketball into the wrong basket! Precious. I wonder how that wil show up in the stats box.
Reminds me of my signature quote from Geno this year - he could have said in that game - 'Swin was the best offensive player on the court today ... for both teams! We just couldn't figure out a way to stop her!'

Reaction Score
Reminds me of my signature quote from Geno this year - he could have said in that game - 'Swin was the best offensive player on the court today ... for both teams! We just couldn't figure out a way to stop her!'
just wonder how they list that in the stats box? Team effort for 2 for the opponents for confusing her?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If you look real closely, you can see Wonkster, JS and your humble servant jumping up and down in the VERY top row of the nosebleed section, pounding each other on the back. (Well, you can't actually see us, but if the camera had been pointing in that direction and if it had had VERY high magnification, you mebbe could have. We was there.)

Reaction Score
She was Pippen to Diana's Jordan, and that's saying a lot. Still remember her taking a Tennessee defender behind her back for a key basket as a freshman.
So funny ... As I was reading this thread I was thinking wasn't there one great play in a big game early in her career? Couldn't think of it but now I remember. Baseline move, right? I was at the game.

Reaction Score
So funny ... As I was reading this thread I was thinking wasn't there one great play in a big game early in her career? Couldn't think of it but now I remember. Baseline move, right? I was at the game.
Thx for the video Alex. Now my memory is totally refreshed! What a sweet move.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to be at that game.... End line, watching her half time half court shot sail towards me and into the basket... Next to the Texas/UConn game, I don't remember being so hyped/emotional about a game. Chills.
That was an incredible game. The crowd was electric. That game is one of the reasons I'm in the bring the rivalry back camp.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
just wonder how they list that in the stats box? Team effort for 2 for the opponents for confusing her?

If you are asking seriously, I believe the rule is that the basket is given to the offensive player closest to the play. Which, if you think about it, is the usual rule.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Simply Awesome! Nothing more needs be said. Simply Awesome!!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If you are asking seriously, I believe the rule is that the basket is given to the offensive player closest to the play. Which, if you think about it, is the usual rule.
I thought that was the rule and maybe it was back then. However, while looking at the rules for this season (for another reason) I noticed this:

Art. 4. A successful try from beyond the three-point line shall count three points
for the team when the ball is thrown or directed into its basket.
a. When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count
two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court
from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a
player in the score book but shall be indicated with a footnote.

So a couple surprises there for me.

1) Any basket made in the opponent's basket only counts as 2 and
2) The score is indicated by a footnote and not credited to any player apparently.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I thought that was the rule and maybe it was back then. However, while looking at the rules for this season (for another reason) I noticed this:

Art. 4. A successful try from beyond the three-point line shall count three points
for the team when the ball is thrown or directed into its basket.
a. When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count
two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court
from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a
player in the score book but shall be indicated with a footnote.

So a couple surprises there for me.

1) Any basket made in the opponent's basket only counts as 2 and
2) The score is indicated by a footnote and not credited to any player apparently.

That's quite interesting. I wonder if there ever has been a basket scored from beyond the three point arc by the opposing team? Seems unlikely. While Cash's was historic, I assume the more common situation is someone is trying for a rebound, can't quite reach it so tries to tap it, and it manages to go in, but I can't quite imagine a situation occurring outside the arc. I wonder if some dribbling out the final seconds heaves the ball over their head behind them as the clock expires, and manages to sink it, but if that happened, it would be on YouTube.

Well, that didn't take long. Not exactly what I described but outside the three point line.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
OK, maybe a little more common than I thought. Nate Robinson from beyond the three point arc:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Another one, in this one you can hear the announcer explaining it is worth two:

Reaction Score
Just wanted to go google that crossover and watched this. Really beautiful video of Ann!

I got pretty emotional watching this young woman who graced us with her skills and whose evolved into such a wonderful citizen of the world. Her contributions in helping people from another country, another society to be able to share and enjoy some of what she had growing up in Colorado says so much about the type of person she is. It was very touching and I hope that a lot of people see it and decide to help others in their own ways who have less than they do to enjoy some of what life has to offer. Well done, Anne!

Reaction Score
My Annie moment came in a game against DUKE (could be wrong about the opponent). She got a technical for throwing an elbow, and if she had connected then someone would have needed a dentist. CD's post game comments were what stuck with me, she said it was a visual sign that Ann was no longer going to be pushed around and CD was pleased that Ann fought back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom