Andy Landers | The Boneyard

Andy Landers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd never been a fan of this guy when he coached Georgia, but I thought he really added value as color commentator on the wonderful DePaul game today. While I could have lived without his Good Ol'Boy descriptions, he was on top of plays, accurately predicted what was coming next, and called offensive and defensive switches not during taped replays, but as they were happening (when's the last time you saw that?). I learned stuff listening to him. He was better than good, and I think he's worth listening to anytime.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are right he is doing a very credible job. He was also the first to call out TN for losing to unranked teams when the other commentators and SEC homers like Peck were making excuses and saying this is only one bad year for TN.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo is with you, tc. She was hoping for overtime so she could hear more from him.

Reaction Score
I'd never been a fan of this guy when he coached Georgia, but I thought he really added value as color commentator on the wonderful DePaul game today. While I could have lived without his Good Ol'Boy descriptions, he was on top of plays, accurately predicted what was coming next, and called offensive and defensive switches not during taped replays, but as they were happening (when's the last time you saw that?). I learned stuff listening to him. He was better than good, and I think he's worth listening to anytime.

Except when he twice called Asia Durr "the number one high school recruit in America." Sorry, Andy, that kid's at UConn, and her name is Lou.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Except when he twice called Asia Durr "the number one high school recruit in America." Sorry, Andy, that kid's at UConn, and her name is Lou.

You are correct. As I recall, Durr was #2, and high on UConn's wish list until she committed to Louisville.

Reaction Score
Although the last years of Andy's tenure with the Lady Dogs were not as successful
as the earlier years, he had overall a very successful career at Georgia, and was always
one of the nice guys in the business.

I agree with the other posters that he was right on top of the action for most of the
game. "Watch out for the roll . . . here it comes . . . open shot."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And will always be remembered for those pink flamingos!!!

Reaction Score
Good except that with his drawl, he'd still be explaining the last sequence when the teams were halfway through the next one.

Reaction Score
Given what's available in terms of WCBB commentators, I truly enjoyed listening to Andy Landers. I found his "drawl", "Good Ol'Boy descriptions", and other unique qualities a welcomed break from what I've been subjected to.

Reaction Score
I liked Coach Landers throughout his tenure at Georgia and agree that his commentary this afternoon was entertaining and insightful.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Andy was rock solid, but am I the only one who thought it was a surreal experience listening to two men calling a WBB game? I mean, I turn up my nose at gender roles at all times, but still...

Last edited:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'd never been a an of this guy when he coached Georgia, but I thought he really added value as color commentator on the wonderful DePaul game today. While I could have lived without his Good Ol'Boy descriptions, he was on top of plays, accurately predicted what was coming next, and called offensive and defensive switches not during taped replays, but as they were happening (when's the last time you saw that?). I learned stuff listening to him. He was better than good, and I think he's worth listening to anytime.
Sorry, I could not disagree more. Could barely listen to him. Thought he added little analysis that was not already obvious to the viewer.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Andy was rock solid, but am I the only one who thought it was a surreal experience listening to two men calling a WBB game? I mean, I turn up my nose at gender roles at all times, but still...
Interesting. Maybe it presages a state in which the gender of the announcers no longer matters.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You are correct. As I recall, Durr was #2, and high on UConn's wish list until she committed to Louisville.
Some ranking services had Durr as number one.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some ranking services had Durr as number one.

No doubt. I only refer to ESPN's "hoop girlz" rankings. I was hoping Durr would come to Storrs, so was Geno.
Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame) and Durr were on UConn's short list of recruits before they committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom