Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: Napier & Boatright should stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright should return to UConn next season for two reasons: Neither player is a lock to be in the first round and runs the risk of not landing any sort of guaranteed contract; the two guards also came back when they could have bolted like Alex Oriakhi (Missouri) and Roscoe Smith (UNLV), even though like Smith they probably would have had to sit a year since they had more than one season left of eligibility. Napier and Boatright made the commitment to UConn through the postseason ban year and to stick it out with new coach Kevin Ollie. Why wouldn't they want to come back and challenge to win the whatever named conference next season? The Huskies would be a contender with Louisville and Memphis to win the league next season. The NCAA tournament would likely be a lock with the development of DeAndre Daniels, Phillip Nolan and Omar Calhoun. If they leave then the Huskies will slide back and the rebuilding will begin a year early. Staying to make a run at a conference title and an NCAA berth makes too much sense based on what occurred this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...3-point-shot-napier-and-boatright-should-stay
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...3-point-shot-napier-and-boatright-should-stay

Reaction Score
I know I'm missing the point on this article, but something just bothers me when Katz says that Shabazz and Boat should stay so we can make an NCAA tournament berth. We're UConn we don't just play to get in the tournament, we play to try to win the tournament. Other than that I'm in agreement.

Reaction Score
Katz should stick to covering the teams that his employer deem worthy. Write about Pitt or Syracuse. Stop sweating UConn. You are not wanted. More importantly, your opinions, as elementary as they are, mean nothing to us.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I know I'm missing the point on this article, but something just bothers me when Katz says that Shabazz and Boat should stay so we can make an NCAA tournament berth. We're UConn we don't just play to get in the tournament, we play to try to win the tournament. Other than that I'm in agreement.
That is the same thing I was thinking when I read it!

A berth=patooohy!
A CHAMPIONSHIP=OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
1. Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright should return to UConn next season for two reasons: Neither player is a lock to be in the first round and runs the risk of not landing any sort of guaranteed contract; the two guards also came back when they could have bolted like Alex Oriakhi (Missouri) and Roscoe Smith (UNLV), even though like Smith they probably would have had to sit a year since they had more than one season left of eligibility. Napier and Boatright made the commitment to UConn through the postseason ban year and to stick it out with new coach Kevin Ollie. Why wouldn't they want to come back and challenge to win the whatever named conference next season? The Huskies would be a contender with Louisville and Memphis to win the league next season. The NCAA tournament would likely be a lock with the development of DeAndre Daniels, Phillip Nolan and Omar Calhoun. If they leave then the Huskies will slide back and the rebuilding will begin a year early. Staying to make a run at a conference title and an NCAA berth makes too much sense based on what occurred this season.

Just checked out the latest top 100 prospects from both DX and NBA draft

The only guy listed on one site is napier at 70 on nba draft the other site he is not 100. Boatright and Danielels are not listed anywhere--these sites are pretty accurate. Remember as well there is few no no private workouts with new rules

U

UConn9604

I've got some inherent bias problems, but I genuinely see this team having a Final Four run in it for 2014, if all three return.

Reaction Score
Just checked out the latest top 100 prospects from both DX and NBA draft

The only guy listed on one site is napier at 70 on nba draft the other site he is not 100. Boatright and Danielels are not listed anywhere--these sites are pretty accurate. Remember as well there is few no no private workouts with new rules

Those sites are highly flawed. If DD came out this year, I GUARANTEE he would get drafted. That said, I think all 3 should return.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just hope he realizes how disgusting this team can be next year. It will come down to money (potentially not guaranteed) vs. school and team love.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Considering we would have made the tournament this year, and just beat a bubble team with half of our ten best players out, and our best player serioulsy hobbled, I think "a berth" is pretty automatic. And suggesting that Memphis could pose any speed-bump to a league championship is silly. Roadkill. Louisville is competition, the rest are not. UConn should be ranked in the teens to start the season.

Reaction Score
You are being a little too harsh here. I this Katz is being completely fair. He says Uconn would be playing to win the conference and are not just playing for a berth when he says: "The NCAA tournament would likely be a lock..."

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Most of us agree a Final Four run is realistic. That said, I don't mind flying under the radar. You can take the media respect, I just want to win more hardware.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I fine with it. In fact, I'm more than fine with it. This is exactly the stuff that we want them to be thinking about. Katz did us a favor.

Reaction Score
Katz should stick to covering the teams that his employer deem worthy. Write about Pitt or Syracuse. Stop sweating UConn. You are not wanted. More importantly, your opinions, as elementary as they are, mean nothing to us.

Seriously? He's one of our bigger supporters. Hardly ever speaks ill of the program. We need guys like him in the press.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Those sites are highly flawed. If DD came out this year, I GUARANTEE he would get drafted. That said, I think all 3 should return.

This is what they do year round. Both sites have insights from pro personnel. Deandre played well for 5-6 games this season. He also got banged around and out of many games this season. He needs to work on his in out game his ballhandling his strength and size. He did a lot of damage in those last 4 games as a 4--but he is not an NBA 4. Its like looking at Kyle Andersen from Ucla--one game 21-15-4 next 6 points 7 rebounds. Where is Kyle ndersen in either mock--just like Daniels he has potential but he has a lot to work on. Deandre Daniels cannot help an NBA team even if he was drafted in the late 2nd round. Does anyone want to see Deandre get shafted? IMHO right now--anyone speaking of any of these guys as truly ready without a lock 1st round pick guarantee is crazy. Coach calhoun was the master of this--look at all of our guys who stayed and then went when it was smart for them to go. Staying is the best option and who cares if Daniels could get pick 47---is that what anyone wants? Id like to see the team make a big run and get all three guys into round 1 next year as they improve their game andbodies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This board in general is way too far out ahead of what their real prospects are for next year. They have a chance to be a good team - they aren't some preseason Top 5 team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This board in general is way too far out ahead of what their real prospects are for next year. They have a chance to be a good team - they aren't some preseason Top 5 team.
If everyone returns, we are preseason Top 20. But who cares about preseason rankings? I think what some people, myself included, are expressing is that we could have legitimate National Championship potential.

Reaction Score
If they return all pieces including wolf---we will be loaded and prepared. Well have big time reinforcements upfront and four big time scorers in Calhoun Napier Boat and Daniels. This easily atleast to me is a top 5 team---we were a top 25 team when all together this year. Adding shot blocking rebounding and then our main guys get bigger stronger better---I mean watch out we will be scary imho. Top 20 is crazy we'd be scary scary good. As much of this NBA talk goes on--I think O Calhoun is also going to break into NBA talent next year he showed signs but think of how good he will be. Really wed be scary especially with the new shot blocking rebounding we have it all. no weak spots great depth scorers ballhandlers experience

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If everyone returns, we are preseason Top 20. But who cares about preseason rankings? I think what some people, myself included, are expressing is that we could have legitimate National Championship potential.

Yes I understand what you are saying. I'm saying that the national championship talk is ridiculously premature.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Ya need to take a valium bro, honestly if it wasn't for Katz, people outside of the Northest would of thought that UConn got swept away with Hurracaine Sandy (every other beat writer at BSPN, literally refused to even mention us, & don't get me started on that bull$hit BPI Bilas somehow left us out of)
Katz is one of our biggest supporters at the mothership, save the hate for that c~nt Dana O'Niel.

Reaction Score

This is ridiculous. Katz is generally a UConn supporter while alot of high profile media members are not. He typically writes favorable and insightful articles about the progam, players, and coaches. He even wrote the article about "The Bunker" in 2008 (link below)!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3646310

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

I'm a pessimist to a fault (I hate it, but can't help it) and even I think we'd be a top 10 team with, at the very least, Elite 8 talent if everyone were to come back. You got to realize, this team in a regular year, would of been ranked for most the season..... We just never got the votes because of our ban.
We had only ONE bad loss (imo) this season, and that was the bazzless USF game. Not to mention we were robbed in Milwaukee........ On a side note, it's actually pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom