ANALYSIS and COMMENTS - Game 24 - UConn vs Seton Hall (Game II) | The Boneyard

ANALYSIS and COMMENTS - Game 24 - UConn vs Seton Hall (Game II)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Well, here we are playing Seton Hall in the second game of an away / home series. In the first one, UConn won handily on Seton Hall's home court 83 to 59. The starters in that game were Azana Bains, Micah Gray, A'jqh Davis, Tyanna Lops, and, Amari Wright. After looking at Seton Hall's starting line-up since they last played UConn, I expect that the only change we will see in the starting line-up for Seton Hall is Kae Satterfield will start instead of A'Jah Davis.

Looking at where the production came from in the first meeting of these two teams we saw Azana Bains with 17, Micah Gray had 7, Kae Satterfield had 4, Amari Wright was held to 2 points, A'jah Davis had 4, Tyanna Lops had 7 points and Brazil Harvey-Carr contributed 13 points. UConn's production was as follows: Paige Bueckers exploded for 32 points; Aaliyah Edward pinched in with 17 points; Ashlynn Shade had 15; Nika and KK had 5 points each. Off the bench, Q had 5 and Ice had 2 points.

The fundamentals of the match-up haven't changed. Seton Hall is a very experienced team starting with 3 graduate students, 1 senior, and, 1 sophomore. They don't have a dominant big but overall their starters and reserves are on the tall side. They will start 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'9", and 5'8" with 6'2", 6'1", 6'1" coming off the bench.

Even though their record is 13 and 9 overall and 5-6 in the Big East...they have been able to hold their opponents to only 56.4 points per game. They are only scoring an average of 64.1 points per game. As a team, they shoot threes at .314 while averaging 5.4 threes per game. They average 33.7 rebounds, and 13.3 assists on 23.9 baskets per game. They are a band of thieves as they average 9.6 steals however, they do have some trouble taking care of the basketball turning it over 18.4 times per game.

With UConn playing in front of the Civic Center home crowd I don't think that UConn will have much trouble winning this game. The MOV should be in the mid-thirties to low thirties....however, I hope that UConn doesn't look past Seton Hall to the South Carolina game or they might find themselves in a closer game than what is expected.

I believe our starters will get some rest in the fourth quarter and that our bench will get some significant minutes as Geno is still trying to get Ice Brady and Q ready to contribute in the postseason.

ANALYSIS

Aaliyah Edwards, 6'3" vs Tyanna Lops - Tyanna, while she probably will get the start only averages 15.0 minutes per game. She averages 3.8 points and, 3.0 rebounds and we will probably see A'jah Davis, a 6'1" Freshman who averages 5.6 points, and 5.6 rebounds in 19 minutes. In any case, with Aaliyah coming off a monster double-double game against St. Johns where she exploded for 33 points, I don't see Aaliyah having any problem with either one of them.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers, 6'0 vs Azana Bains, 6'1"
- Azana is a fairly good rebounding G/F averaging 6.3 rebounds per game. She is also Seton Halls's best scoring threat averaging 15.4 points per game. Paige is also UConn's best scoring threat averaging 20.3 points per game. However, she impacts the game in just about every way possible averaging 4.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 2.2 steals, and 2 three-pointers per game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl, 5'11' vs Micah Gray, 5'8" - Micah is Seton Hall's "Girl Friday"...she does a little of everything. Micah averages 12.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1 steal, and 2.4 three-pointers per game. Nika's defense will make it very tough for Micah to do what she wants to do. In their last meeting, Micah had 7 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 three-pointers. Nika had 5 points, 6 rebounds, 10 assists, and 3 steals. Nika will be pumped up for the home crowd.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Ashlynn Shade, 5'10" vs Kae Satterfield, 6'0"
- Kae Satterfield is averaging 8.7 points per game she had 4 against UConn in their first meeting. She also contributes 3.1 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 assist per game. Seton Hall has the luxury of bringing two additional 6'1" players off the bench (A'jah Davis, Brazil Harvey-Carr). Ashlynn is our very quiet assassin. She goes quietly about her business and has become quite a consistent player. Ashlynn averages 10.9 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, and 1.5 three-pointers per game. Kae had 4 points and no other stats in their first game against UConn this season. Ashlynn scored 5 points and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 three-pointer when these teams met the first time. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

KK Arnold, 5'9" vs Amari Wright, 5'9"
- Amari is Seton Hall's play-maker as she is almost 6 assists per game. Amari also averages 5.2 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 steals. She plays 31.9 minutes per game for Seton Hall. KK is the second part of our Freshmen tandem. She averages 9.8 points, 2.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.2 steals, and .8 three-pointers per game. In Amari's first meeting with UConn, she was held to 2 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists, and 1 steal but she had 5 turnovers. KK had a pretty good game against Seton Hall she scored 15 points, 4-6 from three-point, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal with only 2 turnovers.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH

Seton Hall will bring 21.6 points, and 17 rebounds off the bench while UConn will bring 11.1 points, and 6.9 rebounds off the bench.
ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL.

INTANGIBLES

UConn with the home-court advantage, UConn may get caught looking past this game, Nika of late has been getting herself into foul trouble...if she gets into foul trouble and has to go to the bench it will put a damper on UConn's ability to do what it wants to do. UConn however, is just too talented...
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SCORE

UConn- 85
Seton Hall - 54

MOV - 31

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im looking to see how UConn executes in this game. It appears to me that UConn has been playing the Paige and Aaliyah show with very everybody else not scoring like they did a few games ago. It also appears to me that Ice and Q have not been getting the minutes they did a few weeks ago. The game may tell us what we can look forward to against SC. I expect Paige and Aaliyah to handle most of the scoring just like they did in our last game. I thought UConn resembled Iowa their last game. Paige and Aaliyah doing most of the scoring. I know out opponents havent had a answer for Aaliyah and going to her to score and dominate is the thing to do but SC may have an answer for Aaliyah and if that happens we will need more of a balanced scoring attack. What impressed me most about our last game is when the going got tuff and STJ was within double digits Paige was the hero in the clutch. I expect to see more of that the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis, @cferraro04!

I see exactly what you're seeing, and I'm as nervous as anyone about the look-ahead problem. I'm going to hold my breath and clutch the armrests on my barcalounger until it's over.

I suspect Kai Satterfied may be a wild card tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Like @Big Fan, I hope that this isn't a trap game for us. Everyone should eat in this matchup, if we are focused and have that killer instinct. Hopefully the squad is in that predator mode from the time they wake up.

Reaction Score
Im looking to see how UConn executes in this game. It appears to me that UConn has been playing the Paige and Aaliyah show with very everybody else not scoring like they did a few games ago. It also appears to me that Ice and Q have not been getting the minutes they did a few weeks ago. The game may tell us what we can look forward to against SC. I expect Paige and Aaliyah to handle most of the scoring just like they did in our last game. I thought UConn resembled Iowa their last game. Paige and Aaliyah doing most of the scoring. I know out opponents havent had a answer for Aaliyah and going to her to score and dominate is the thing to do but SC may have an answer for Aaliyah and if that happens we will need more of a balanced scoring attack. What impressed me most about our last game is when the going got tuff and STJ was within double digits Paige was the hero in the clutch. I expect to see more of that the rest of the season.
If we are to have a chance against SC, we need this game to truly evaluate Ice, Q and Ines (yes, Ines, she should be in the mix). We are going to win the BE, no question, but cannot depend solely on the starters in the big games. SC (and everyone in the tournament) will look to get Aaliyah and Nika in foul trouble, so time is running out to find who else we can rely on to give us key minutes when needed.

Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Well, here we are playing Seton Hall in the second game of an away / home series. In the first one, UConn won handily on Seton Hall's home court 83 to 59. The starters in that game were Azana Bains, Micah Gray, A'jqh Davis, Tyanna Lops, and, Amari Wright. After looking at Seton Hall's starting line-up since they last played UConn, I expect that the only change we will see in the starting line-up for Seton Hall is Kae Satterfield will start instead of A'Jah Davis.

Looking at where the production came from in the first meeting of these two teams we saw Azana Bains with 17, Micah Gray had 7, Kae Satterfield had 4, Amari Wright was held to 2 points, A'jah Davis had 4, Tyanna Lops had 7 points and Brazil Harvey-Carr contributed 13 points. UConn's production was as follows: Paige Bueckers exploded for 32 points; Aaliyah Edward pinched in with 17 points; Ashlynn Shade had 15; Nika and KK had 5 points each. Off the bench, Q had 5 and Ice had 2 points.

The fundamentals of the match-up haven't changed. Seton Hall is a very experienced team starting with 3 graduate students, 1 senior, and, 1 sophomore. They don't have a dominant big but overall their starters and reserves are on the tall side. They will start 6'3", 6'1", 6'0", 5'9", and 5'8" with 6'2", 6'1", 6'1" coming off the bench.

Even though their record is 13 and 9 overall and 5-6 in the Big East...they have been able to hold their opponents to only 56.4 points per game. They are only scoring an average of 64.1 points per game. As a team, they shoot threes at .314 while averaging 5.4 threes per game. They average 33.7 rebounds, and 13.3 assists on 23.9 baskets per game. They are a band of thieves as they average 9.6 steals however, they do have some trouble taking care of the basketball turning it over 18.4 times per game.

With UConn playing in front of the Civic Center home crowd I don't think that UConn will have much trouble winning this game. The MOV should be in the mid-thirties to low thirties....however, I hope that UConn doesn't look past Seton Hall to the South Carolina game or they might find themselves in a closer game than what is expected.

I believe our starters will get some rest in the fourth quarter and that our bench will get some significant minutes as Geno is still trying to get Ice Brady and Q ready to contribute in the postseason.

ANALYSIS

Aaliyah Edwards, 6'3" vs Tyanna Lops - Tyanna, while she probably will get the start only averages 15.0 minutes per game. She averages 3.8 points and, 3.0 rebounds and we will probably see A'jah Davis, a 6'1" Freshman who averages 5.6 points, and 5.6 rebounds in 19 minutes. In any case, with Aaliyah coming off a monster double-double game against St. Johns where she exploded for 33 points, I don't see Aaliyah having any problem with either one of them.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers, 6'0 vs Azana Bains, 6'1"
- Azana is a fairly good rebounding G/F averaging 6.3 rebounds per game. She is also Seton Halls's best scoring threat averaging 15.4 points per game. Paige is also UConn's best scoring threat averaging 20.3 points per game. However, she impacts the game in just about every way possible averaging 4.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 2.2 steals, and 2 three-pointers per game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl, 5'11' vs Micah Gray, 5'8" - Micah is Seton Hall's "Girl Friday"...she does a little of everything. Micah averages 12.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1 steal, and 2.4 three-pointers per game. Nika's defense will make it very tough for Micah to do what she wants to do. In their last meeting, Micah had 7 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 three-pointers. Nika had 5 points, 6 rebounds, 10 assists, and 3 steals. Nika will be pumped up for the home crowd.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Ashlynn Shade, 5'10" vs Kae Satterfield, 6'0"
- Kae Satterfield is averaging 8.7 points per game she had 4 against UConn in their first meeting. She also contributes 3.1 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 assist per game. Seton Hall has the luxury of bringing two additional 6'1" players off the bench (A'jah Davis, Brazil Harvey-Carr). Ashlynn is our very quiet assassin. She goes quietly about her business and has become quite a consistent player. Ashlynn averages 10.9 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, and 1.5 three-pointers per game. Kae had 4 points and no other stats in their first game against UConn this season. Ashlynn scored 5 points and had 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 three-pointer when these teams met the first time. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

KK Arnold, 5'9" vs Amari Wright, 5'9"
- Amari is Seton Hall's play-maker as she is almost 6 assists per game. Amari also averages 5.2 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 steals. She plays 31.9 minutes per game for Seton Hall. KK is the second part of our Freshmen tandem. She averages 9.8 points, 2.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.2 steals, and .8 three-pointers per game. In Amari's first meeting with UConn, she was held to 2 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists, and 1 steal but she had 5 turnovers. KK had a pretty good game against Seton Hall she scored 15 points, 4-6 from three-point, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal with only 2 turnovers.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH

Seton Hall will bring 21.6 points, and 17 rebounds off the bench while UConn will bring 11.1 points, and 6.9 rebounds off the bench.
ADVANTAGE - SETON HALL.

INTANGIBLES

UConn with the home-court advantage, UConn may get caught looking past this game, Nika of late has been getting herself into foul trouble...if she gets into foul trouble and has to go to the bench it will put a damper on UConn's ability to do what it wants to do. UConn however, is just too talented...
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SCORE

UConn- 85
Seton Hall - 54

MOV - 31
#1200 for Geno (&CD) is less than 2.777 hours away

Reaction Score
Was very uncomfortable watching this game. Seton Hall had problems scoring & it seemed to effect our scoring, in particular, Paige ! She finally started hitting buckets in the 3rd period. Aaliyah, proved to be big help in scoring. threw out. Thoughts came me of our next big game with S.C. No further commit !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom