Analysis and comments - Game 21 - UConn vs Notre Dame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Analysis and comments - Game 21 - UConn vs Notre Dame

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But definitely improving...Now at least back in the tourney.
Well, we’ll see tomorrow as the LV’s face a tough MS team on the road.

Reaction Score
77-73 Uconn... I'm thinking Notre Dame is going to come I to Storrs with energy from their recent loss to Syracuse.
I agree about their increased intensity, because of the loss. However, with coach Mufett retired, the competition between the two team's, I feel, has deceased !

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing that still irks me to no end is the end of game action the last time we played the Golden Domers at home, 12/5/2022 @ Gampel. To me it shows the true character of a team.
With 24 seconds left in the game and as the shot clock wound down, Caroline made a 3 point shot to make it a 21 point lead again.
Seeing how the GDers had only scored 8 points up to this point in the fourth quarter, one would expect them to dribble out the game. But Noooooooo, Miles made a layup as time expired to make the MOV less than 20.
However, I will give them credit for not attempting a 3!!! :rolleyes:
Just my analytical comment for the day.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
One thing that still irks me to no end is the end of game action the last time we played the Golden Domers at home, 12/5/2022 @ Gampel. To me it shows the true character of a team.
With 24 seconds left in the game and as the shot clock wound down, Caroline made a 3 point shot to make it a 21 point lead again.
Seeing how the GDers had only scored 8 points up to this point in the fourth quarter, one would expect them to dribble out the game. But Noooooooo, Miles made a layup as time expired to make the MOV less than 20.
However, I will give them credit for not attempting a 3!!! :rolleyes:
Just my analytical comment for the day.
But it was ok for Caroline to shoot a 3 while up 19? But not for ND to get a last second bucket? What does any of this say about “the character of“ either team”. To me it only says don’t bet heavily on MOV.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But it was ok for Caroline to shoot a 3 while up 19? But not for ND to get a last second bucket? What does any of this say about “the character of“ either team”. To me it only says don’t bet heavily on MOV.
The common decorum is that any team, whether they are ahead or behind, can and should take a shot so long as the shot clock is set to expire on their possession. As for the last possession of the game, with no shot clock in effect, typically the team that’s ahead would run out the clock. As for the team that’s behind, I have no issue with them trying to score.

So in the case mentioned above, I have no problem with Caroline’s 3 or Miles’ layup, unless I had UConn -20 on the betting line. Then I would have been out of my mind over a “bad beat!”

One other point. I love it when UConn has the game in hand with Nika dribbling out the clock when, with a few seconds left in the game, she simply places the ball on the court and walks away. It’s the basketball equivalent of a “mic drop.”

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There is a difference between taking a 3 with the 30 second clock under 5 seconds, and less than 30 seconds remaining in the game, and making a layup at the final buzzer after running their offense for 23 seconds. Also, the odds of making a 3 pointer are significantly higher than a layup.
But you are entitled to your opinion on character as am I.

Reaction Score
Old Dude I had been typing this so i will post it anyways, similar to your thoughts

Uconn vs SC

..SC leads the nation in 3 pt shooting % this year, they have size to bring in off the bench

Last year they killed us on Obds & i expect that to repeat... we shot 51% from floor in last years game and will need to shoot even better this year. AE needs to have a monster game like last year and not foul out. Paige will have to be the x factor this year for us to pull off the upset in their court.
SC will not win the game by trying to outscore UConn from long range. First of all UConn plays parameter defense so every three will be contested where they had clean looks all night long against LSU. Where they can dominate and should considering they have a quality coach too, is on the inside. They have two long players that UConn will have no answer for on the inside. They will have to rely on dropping down and double teaming before the ball gets up for the shot. LSU did it several times and it worked and UConn is quicker to the ball than they are.

To me the SC game will prove if Geno has been preparing to win the Big East or preparing to compete for a championship. If they can defend this post and compete on the boards then they should be able to do it with any other team. I am cautiously optimistic and I think a glimpse of the future will be had against ND Saturday night.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
SC will not win the game by trying to outscore UConn from long range. First of all UConn plays parameter defense so every three will be contested where they had clean looks all night long against LSU. Where they can dominate and should considering they have a quality coach too, is on the inside. They have two long players that UConn will have no answer for on the inside. They will have to rely on dropping down and double teaming before the ball gets up for the shot. LSU did it several times and it worked and UConn is quicker to the ball than they are.

To me the SC game will prove if Geno has been preparing to win the Big East or preparing to compete for a championship. If they can defend this post and compete on the boards then they should be able to do it with any other team. I am cautiously optimistic and I think a glimpse of the future will be had against ND Saturday night.
Say what??? "the SC game will prove if Geno has been preparing to win the Big East or preparing to compete for a championship"??? Those events happen sequentially, for goodness sakes! At what point during this century has Geno not been thinking of: regular season champions, conference tournament champions, and then competing for the NC? This isn't Premier League vs FA Cup soccer!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom