An Interesting Comparison Between Big East / Big12 Schedules | The Boneyard

An Interesting Comparison Between Big East / Big12 Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Berry Tramel has written this following article comparing the Big East's OOC schedule primarily against the Big12, and our schedule compares quite favorably (that is to say, a bit harder):

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/...ootball-ranking-the-non-conference-schedules/

I thought that it was interesting and I wanted to share. I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it, other than to say that the NBE needs as many marquis non-conference games as we can get, (and hopefully win) in order to boost our image. UConn is certainly doing its part by not playing any 1-AA competition. Thoughts?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it, other than to say that the NBE needs as many marquis non-conference games as we can get, (and hopefully win) in order to boost our image. UConn is certainly doing its part by not playing any 1-AA competition. Thoughts?

Win is the key word there. We can play as many big boys as we can get but if no one wins it just shows the weakness of the conference. Last year Cincy got blown out by Tennessee and OU. That hurt. WVU lost big to LSU. I think our only big OOC win was USF over ND.

I'm not saying to stop scheduling the big games, just saying the Big East needs to win them!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I'm hoping UConn can post a couple of good ones against Maryland and NCState. Show a little dominance over that other league...

Reaction Score
I liked the comments about uconn and it's out of conference schedule having no I-aa teams, an to Syracuse when he said I didn't think schedules like this existed anymore. Funniest comment goes to rutgers ooc schedule.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Let's not pat ourselves on the back too much for not having a FCS game. I'm pretty sure that when UMass was scheduled, not only were they FCS at the time but nobody was aware that they were likely moving up to FBS. As it is, in their first year at the FBS level, they could be one of the worst teams in FBS this year.

Reaction Score
I agree it really means nothing. Teams like Appalachian state Northern Iowa and north Illinois can play with anybody to name a few

Reaction Score
the idea that you need "marquee" non-conference games is just a lot of silliness. Far better to win the games you play, both in and out of conference, and to do it consistently. Boise didn't earn its reputation by winning its relatively modest non-conference schedule. It got it by beating the teams it played. Then it got a shot at a big name in a bowl and won. For that matter, Virginia Tech didn't get tis rep by winning non-conference games over name opponents. it got it by winning games on its schedule and doing it consistently. UCONN's schedule is fine if we win. It isn't so good if we lose. What the Big East needs more than anything is for a couple of teams to emerge from the mess and go 10-2, 11-1 evey year. Then win their bowl games. Cincinnatti has seemed on the verge of being one of those teams a few times, but hasn't managed to quite get over the hump (or win the bowl game). West Virginia has seemed to be on the cusp of being one of those teams at times, but then struggled to win the conference. Their reputation has been enhanced by winning big in bowl games. The fact of the matter is that reputations are made in the post season nowadays. Regular season wins are certainly good, but they don't do you any good if you beat Michigan in the opener and lose to Duke the following week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom