An Embarrassment of Riches?......No Way. | The Boneyard

An Embarrassment of Riches?......No Way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some have referred to UCONN's talent-laden team as an embarrassment of riches. By definition, the expression refers to an overabundance of something or too much of a good thing. But it also has the subtle suggestion of something negative so that in the case of UCONN womens basketball, perhaps UCONN fans should feel a little embarrassed by their good fortune.

So should UCONN Nation feel guilty that the Huskies have some unfair advantage over the competition? We've all heard the refrain "Oh, they always get the best talent". Well this certainly wasn't always the case. One should never apologize for working harder, being more dedicated, and putting team and winning before individual success.

The program is a tribute to the vision of Geno Auriemma, all of the coaches past and present and all of the players who have ever put on the UCONN uniform. Our riches- these new recruits, these terrific young women who want to play for the best program in the country- are well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I also think that the idea we get the most talent is a little overblown. We get the RIGHT talent. If you look through the years Uconn only occasionally has the best ranked recruiting class with Duke, TN, UNC, and others just as frequently getting top billing. BUT, when really special players come along we have a pretty good track record of getting them AND when we get good talent, they get better during their four years, so the graduating classes actually look better than the recruiting classes. And that is something that not very many programs can say is consistently true.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with these thoughts...... We didn't get Eliz Williams, Mercedes Russsell, or Ogwumike, Diamond, or ultimately Della Donne..... all #1's, but when we get someone good you can bet that we know how to develop them.....

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
OK, I bit my tongue for awhile on this, but there's just too much of the "larger societal problem" behind this sentiment.

Granted, I often brought up the same argument, that Duke has more AAs than us for example. Yet we've never needed as many AAs as Duke does now have we? Given how great our coaching staff is and the quality of kids we target we now likely have more than we need for the goals of winning championships. In the past our great classes such as TASSK balanced out the great classes of that other one-time rival (eg, the "Meeks"). Yet unless South Carolina is the one place getting everyone we don't get, that's not happening anymore, meaning we really have more than we need for our goals.

You can't fault the staff for doing this, and going after even more talent. You never know what will happen, who might transfer, who might get injured, who you've misjudged. However, the OP concedes that we do indeed have riches ourselves, and I claim that the remaining "riches" are more diffused among others than they used to be. The two primary attitudes attached to having more than you need in regards to anything in life is entitlement or embarrassment. America as a whole tends to the former and the OP reflects that. That's unfortunate. Of course, there are others who simply don't feel comfortable unless we have the top players of every class. That's a different kind of problem.

Reaction Score
I also think that the idea we get the most talent is a little overblown. We get the RIGHT talent. If you look through the years Uconn only occasionally has the best ranked recruiting class with Duke, TN, UNC, and others just as frequently getting top billing. BUT, when really special players come along we have a pretty good track record of getting them AND when we get good talent, they get better during their four years, so the graduating classes actually look better than the recruiting classes. And that is something that not very many programs can say is consistently true.
Excellent post.

Reaction Score
OK, I bit my tongue for awhile on this, but there's just too much of the "larger societal problem" behind this sentiment.

Granted, I often brought up the same argument, that Duke has more AAs than us for example. Yet we've never needed as many AAs as Duke does now have we? Given how great our coaching staff is and the quality of kids we target we now likely have more than we need for the goals of winning championships. In the past our great classes such as TASSK balanced out the great classes of that other one-time rival (eg, the "Meeks"). Yet unless South Carolina is the one place getting everyone we don't get, that's not happening anymore, meaning we really have more than we need for our goals.

You can't fault the staff for doing this, and going after even more talent. You never know what will happen, who might transfer, who might get injured, who you've misjudged. However, the OP concedes that we do indeed have riches ourselves, and I claim that the remaining "riches" are more diffused among others than they used to be. The two primary attitudes attached to having more than you need in regards to anything in life is entitlement or embarrassment. America as a whole tends to the former and the OP reflects that. That's unfortunate. Of course, there are others who simply don't feel comfortable unless we have the top players of every class. That's a different kind of problem.

I didn't read "entitlement" in the OP at all. I would argue that on two levels. The first being whether an embarrassment of riches even exist in 2014. While we have 4 0r 5 GREAT starters (depending if Tuck starts), the bench will be mostly freshman and even highly ranked freshman can take a year or more to find their game on the collegiate level. So, for 2014 at least, I don't see an "embarrassment of riches". That brings us to 2015. UConn loses KML and Stokes while gaining Butler and the #1 ranked freshman class. A lot of potential but also a few questions. Not the least of which is what will the physical condition of Tuck and Williams be ?
The second level would be that the OP doesn't state an embarrassment of riches is the current condition at UConn or the prevalent attitude of it's fans. I believe "Some" (fans) was the term he used. Dougie explicitly states qualities, "working harder, being more dedicated, and putting team and winning before individual success" as the reason why Geno is able to draw the talent he does. I would be confident in saying that Geno certainly doesn't think he has am embarrassment of riches.
"However, the OP concedes that we do indeed have riches ourselves" (your quote) Ok, so ? He only uses "embarrassment" as a term that some others use.
"Yet unless South Carolina is the one place getting everyone we don't get, that's not happening anymore, meaning we really have more than we need for our goals" (again, your quote) Really ? I think that judgement is best left up to Geno but are you sure that Tuck and Williams will recover ? Just for argument sake, let's say their recoveries don't go well ( I certainly hope that they do) Stewart, Stokes, KML, Jefferson and Chong certainly make a great starting lineup and would leave 3 backcourt freshman and 2 walk ons as the bench. Embarrassment of riches ? I think not.
However, I do agree with you that entitlement is a "larger societal problem", it's just that I disagree with you that it applies to the OP.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
What's going to be hard is to play up to your talent level, motivating your players for most of the

teams that will be on your schedule could win the coach of the year award bye itself. Then finding

playing time for all is a no win situation. In Geno's finale Carrere wrap up these will probably not

be his most personally rewarding times.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UC- u just put into a simple well written summary of what separates UConn- period. Really great piece! Thanks

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score

Duke has had only four very special players in recent years, Chelsea Gray, Elizabeth Williams, Amber Hinson
and Alexis Jones all have had injuries that have altered there development for at least one year. You have got
to have at least one super stud and we haven't.

Reaction Score
Every so often I have to figuratively pinch myself and thank goodness good fortune is coming to us.... I also question why - in 2014 - there is such a gap between us and the rest of the field..... we aren't the only school getting good players..... we seem to be able to develop them.... and the coaching staff also seems to be able to motivate them so that they are humble and do not take anything for granted...... not losing back to back games in 21 years..... home winning streaks.... undefeated streaks..... Geno is seen as an egomaniac by others in WCBB, but it isn't he who wrote a book after one undefeated season...... SueBird10 wrote I think maybe on another thread about being potentially exposed after MoJeff and Stewie leave, because perhaps we will be so full until then that perhaps the top recruits will not sign with us because of the riches mentioned on this thread..... I have faith..... we will do well..... let's not win, let's dominate.

Reaction Score
Some have referred to UCONN's talent-laden team as an embarrassment of riches. By definition, the expression refers to an overabundance of something or too much of a good thing. But it also has the subtle suggestion of something negative so that in the case of UCONN womens basketball, perhaps UCONN fans should feel a little embarrassed by their good fortune.

So should UCONN Nation feel guilty that the Huskies have some unfair advantage over the competition? We've all heard the refrain "Oh, they always get the best talent". Well this certainly wasn't always the case. One should never apologize for working harder, being more dedicated, and putting team and winning before individual success.

The program is a tribute to the vision of Geno Auriemma, all of the coaches past and present and all of the players who have ever put on the UCONN uniform. Our riches- these new recruits, these terrific young women who want to play for the best program in the country- are well deserved.
Hard work should never be confused with good fortune and those who do are often unfamiliar with hard work.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Totally agree with these thoughts. We didn't get Eliz Williams, Mercedes Russsell, or Ogwumike, Diamond, or ultimately Della Donne..... all #1's, but when we get someone good you can bet that we know how to develop them.....

Yes and you realize all those players went to different schools over a long period of time? It's been a minute (since DT's last championship) that UConn hasn't won a title with TWO #1 players on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom