An earnest question about all the pink stuff | The Boneyard

An earnest question about all the pink stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding irreverent, I can't help but wonder about just how much money is being collectively spent on pink uniforms, T-shirts, and other gear for the Kay Yow week.

If the point is to raise money for the fight against cancer, shouldn't that money go to, ya know, actual cancer research rather than gear and apparel manufacturers?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding irreverent, I can't help but wonder about just how much money is being collectively spent on pink uniforms, T-shirts, and other gear for the Kay Yow week.

If the point is to raise money for the fight against cancer, shouldn't that money go to, ya know, actual cancer research rather than gear and apparel manufacturers?
Not a bad point, but, if the expenditures in the variety of gear generates donations and sales of said gear that raise significantly more funds than the expenditures, then, it's money well spent. Now, is that the case? I have no idea.

Reaction Score

My guess..You gotta spend money to make money. If nothing else all the pink shirts in the stands and pink uniforms raises awareness of the charity and the goal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the case of Nike the proceeds from the Kay Yow collection (pink uniforms, sneakers, and apparel) including the special NCAA Team Uniforms goes directly to the Kay Yow foundation not to Nike. Nike began supporting the fund in this way since it's inception. Where the Foundations money goes can be found at this Url: http://kayyow.com/the-fund/where-the-money-goes/
I am not sure what/ how the other apparel companies are contributing to the fund but if you google Underarmour and Kay yow fund you might get an answer.

Reaction Score
The money for the pink uniforms, T-shirts, and other gear is paid by the sponsor.

Reaction Score
As the proud winning bidder of Napheesa Collier's recent game worn uniform (on behalf of my my soon to be high school basketball playing daughter).I sure hope that all that money goes directly to the charity!!!
OH you are so nice to bid Napheesa's uniform.
Hope one day your lovely daughter can join UConn.

Reaction Score
OH you are so nice to bid Napheesa's uniform.
Hope one day your lovely daughter can join UConn.

Thanks...I was happy to bid on it........don't think my daughter would be a great fit with Geno...he'd stare at her once and she would just keep on running out of the building!!! She'd be a much better fit at Tennessee (just kidding!!!)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks...I was happy to bid on it...don't think my daughter would be a great fit with Geno...he'd stare at her once and she would just keep on running out of the building!!! She'd be a much better fit at Tennessee (just kidding!!!)
you must be a "in the way" daddy... :oops:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The apparel manufacturers pay the schools to wear their gear, not the other way around. For example, Under Armour is paying ND $9 million in cash and apparel per year.

Some pink t-shirts and uniforms are a drop in the ocean for them.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
This was just a question at a radio show Walz hosts. In our case, we were not in pink this year, and Walz was asked many times why not.

The pink uniforms were not a part of the package this year. To buy uniforms, for just one game would have cost around $4k. Rather than do that Louisville cut a check directly to the Kay Yow Fund for what the cost of the uniforms would be. He said they also did this for the We Back Pat Event. Said he would much rather send the money directly to the charity than spend it on the gear.
Next year, however, Adidas has already stated they want our team in Pink so it is part of the uniform agreement/package. They will get uniforms with no player names on them so that they can be auctioned off , and the proceeds will then be donated to the Kay Yow Fund.

There seemed to be a lot of noise from our fan base this year about the lack of pink, and I have been very happy to hear Walz's response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom