An Argument for PP and GDL | Page 3 | The Boneyard

An Argument for PP and GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
J Mac had 4 more TD's and 6 less interceptions. That's a big difference. Taking the 9 more sacks is better than 6 more int's. Whitmer has to get this under control for us to get to 6-6.

At risk of sounding like that idiot Corso, "hang on a minute!" You can't look at JMac's 4 TD advantage just yet, since he played two more games. If Whitmer closes that gap, along with keeping a double-digit lead in QB rating, then it's clear to me that Whitmer is the better QB. And again, we lost Ryan and Petrus, both being of all-Big East caliber.

To be fair, Whitmer also has the opportunity in the next two games to close the sack gap as well. Let's hope he doesn't do that...

Reaction Score
FWIW I'm rooting for Chandler. I hope he plays like a senior the next two games. I'd be talking to the Lord right now if I took the hit's he has.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
(how could this thread possibly backfire on me???)

For starters, I wanted to punch you in the throat even before I read the post.

Now that I have, I think it was well-reasoned and an interesting conversation starter and I'll feel badly when I do punch you in the throat. Which I will.

Reaction Score
Who cares how many lineman we put in the NFL? We used to lead the galaxy in rushing, now we get between 25 and 80 yards a game.

Fire them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Regardless of coaching philosophy, there are basically two types of coaches: those who impose their system upon a team and those who adapt their system to the talent available. PP and GDL are the former and that's the big problem.

Whether PP and company did an evaluation of Uconn' talent I do not know. I would hope so. But if they did, then their evaluation was flawed big time given their coaching philosophy.

The arguement that PP needs to get his type of player is BS! There are plenty of examples of coaches who take over losing programs and turn them around in a couple of years. The coach at Kent State comes to mind. Remember how the kicked Rutgers butt!

RichRod is the prime example of imposing your philosophy on a team that doesn't have the talent to run it.

So I'm not a PP fan.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
i would argue that some of whitmers ints are not just middle of game bad throws. no doubt he has to improve but we have him another 2 years, i can see the growth and potential unlike what we could have in jmac. the umass int was a crazy 1. he wont make that throw again ever. it was a welcome to bcs football int if i ever saw 1. late in the rutgers game after the saff put him in a no win situtaion play calling wise rutgers was just waiting for him to press on long passes and go hunting for ducks for example.

I don't get all the UConn games out here in Pgh, but from what I've seen of Whitmer he certainly passes the eye test better than TrickShotBoy. McEntee also had something of a running game to keep defenses honest. Whitmer's book indicates he's always been somewhat a high-risk/high-reward QB, capable of making difficult but possible throws into coverage but also trying to do to much and forcing things as a result of overconfidence in his abilities. That the offense has been conservative and UConn plays from behind certainly would lead most QBs to have high 4Q INT totals. I think the kid will get better.

Reaction Score
I've also been thinking about the QB difference and why it hasn't made much of a difference in results. The one glaring difference with last year is how last year the run game was a strength and this year it is a weakness. Chandler would be so much better and have more effficient stats if he wasn't forced to take so many chances because we can't reliably run the ball. That wouldn't take away all the poor or ill-conceived throws but it certainly would limit the number of risky situations. We've beat this issue to death, but Chandler is doing a great job for us, the OLine and blocking scheme/execution is not. Maybe we can't make a switch back now but this group has to find a way to do a better job if we are going to have a chance to win.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
This is a sentiment that I have shared, actually. I've been on the "Reinstate Foley" wagon for quite some time. But I don't want to sound like I know it all, because I certainly don't, and I guess I'm just trying to look at this thing from all angles. Passing game better. Running game much worse. What the heck is going on?? But I agree; those moments where the lineman are all around looking like they are waiting for someone to tell them what to do......ughh!! :mad:
Inexperience as a group is a killer this guy in that guy out Etc Etc.Etc

Reaction Score
I'll agree with what I believe a number of fans are postulating about Whitmer:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Now that I have, I think it was well-reasoned and an interesting conversation starter and I'll feel badly when I do punch you in the throat. Which I will.

I was more afraid of your ability to punch me in the throat when you were around the 6'6" 260 lb ballpark. Nowadays, I'm just not convinced you'll catch up to me... ;)

Reaction Score

This thread has been a nice diversion from the usual conference realignment/fire the coaches/fire Herbst and Warde rhetoric that's we've been wading through. It's kind of disappointing that a thread about the game against Louisville never really got going, but to be honest with all this other nonsense going on the game is not really that high on my priority list. It's a shame that actually watching college sports is becoming a smaller and smaller part of being a college sports fan. It's following pro wrestling in that it's becoming more soap opera than sport

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This thread has been a nice diversion from the usual conference realignment/fire the coaches/fire Herbst and Warde rhetoric that's we've been wading through. It's kind of disappointing that a thread about the game against Louisville never really got going, but to be honest with all this other nonsense going on the game is not really that high on my priority list. It's a shame that actually watching college sports is becoming a smaller and smaller part of being a college sports fan. It's following pro wrestling in that it's becoming more soap opera than sport

The way I'm treating our game tomorrow is kind of like our de facto Bowl game; a matchup against a ranked team in a different state. If we win, then the next game becomes a game in the Rent for a chance at another bowl game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom