amoreHuskies ‘Back Where We Belong,’ Notes, Quotes, Thoughts from Selection Sunday at Gampel | The Boneyard

amoreHuskies ‘Back Where We Belong,’ Notes, Quotes, Thoughts from Selection Sunday at Gampel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some interesting and insightful comments from Shabazz, who's never been shy about sharing his feelings on things:

"It’s just being strong, not just with the basketball but being strong mentally. A lot of times guys don’t look to ready to play and make a lot of costly mistakes when we don’t need it. Guys got to understand that now, more than ever, it’s one-game elimination."

This seems to be the crux of his frustration -- like he knows some personalities on the team don't align with his own and he doesn't know how to reach them, to get them to come out aggressive. There have been times when Bazz has mentally checked out of games, almost like he's given up on getting his teammates to play hard, and he would rather be somewhere else. The problem is that it's a chicken and egg thing, since the team feeds off of him, and he -- unlike Kemba -- isn't a constant fountain of positivity and encouragement. Does the team get flat because Bazz checks out? Or does Bazz check out because the team comes out flat?

"DeAndre’s a talented guy. Sometimes, something in his own ability that stops him and I don’t know what it is. If I were 6-7, 6-8, I’d be doing that every time. I would enjoy dunking on people."

Clearly Bazz isn't high on DD's motor, which isn't a major shock to this board, but is interesting that it's something the team captain is speaking openly about.

Reaction Score
You cut that quote short to make it sound like he is complaining. Instead he is saying how good his teammates are. "I’m happy to see him do things like that because I know how talented he is. I wish everyone knew how talented he was. For me to be the person on the team that everybody just recognizes – I hate that. I want my teammates to be recognized. I want people to see how good DeAndre is, how good Ryan Boatright is, how good Niels Giffey is, at the end of the day they make me who I am. I wish everyone could see that. To see that, he has to do that constantly and I think he can, but he just gets in his [own] way.” How is that not being high on DD's motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom