Amore: Changes In The Wind? Notes, Quotes From UConn Practice in Seattle | The Boneyard

Amore: Changes In The Wind? Notes, Quotes From UConn Practice in Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Money's on Giffey and Brimah starting.
My money is on no changes in the starting lineup. It is easy to blame Calhoun and/or Nolan for the Stanford loss but the truth is the entire team sucked in the second half and that includes Bazz. The bigger problem with this team is letting up when they have a lead as Ollie said in the article. Bazz had to make last second shots to beat teams that should have never been in the game.

Reaction Score
My money is on no changes in the starting lineup. It is easy to blame Calhoun and/or Nolan for the Stanford loss but the truth is the entire team sucked in the second half and that includes Bazz. The bigger problem with this team is letting up when they have a lead as Ollie said in the article. Bazz had to make last second shots to beat teams that should have never been in the game.

Id start giffey and brimah and tell brimah not to try to block everything and look to box out better.

Reaction Score

why would he not change the lineup? the argument from everyone in favor of staying with the lineup has been that don't change it until we lose. I don't think anyone including fans or UConn staff believes that the best 5 players have been starting the game. How you start is very important for a tough road game in a good environment. If Washington starts well and gets the fans involved it could be very bad. That is not something we have had to worry about in any of our previous games. I would say it would be very wise to put our best lineup out there to start the game and I trust that Kevin will do that.

Reaction Score

We'd then have one competent ballhandler/decision maker on the floor... Don't see that happening. As it is we only have 2 guys who fit under that mold so we have to minimize the time where they both are not on the floor.

Reaction Score
We'd then have one competent ballhandler/decision maker on the floor... Don't see that happening. As it is we only have 2 guys who fit under that mold so we have to minimize the time where they both are not on the floor.
what about Samuel? why wouldn't a pass-first ball-handler be welcome?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie has said repeatedly he likes the flexibility of Giff off the bench. I doubt that changes. Given Phil's offensive struggles and Brimah's improvement defensively off the ball I would guess he would come into the starting 5 if there are any changes.

Reaction Score

I don't know about that 68 only because they could then zone us easier without a guy who can score out there. And he didn't take too good care of the ball the last time we saw him.............scary!

Reaction Score
It's all about the Tolk.

You know it's not a crazy thought at all.......what do you lose? You add a spot on the court that needs to be addressed by the defense especially in a zone......if he makes a couple the seams become wider.

For a few minutes against a zone Bazz, Giffey, Kromah, Tolks and DD........has to be a zone. You don't need to put on the floor that much if you are continually moving the ball correctly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very bad for chemistry. Boat is a sensitive kid. Can put him on a shorter lease, though.

Reaction Score
Kromah starting is interesting but unrealistic. Boat is the second most important player on the squad. Why do some posters get apoplectic at the idea of starting line up change? the problem isn't , "we can't sustain a lead": we built that stanford lead off dumb stanford plays. The problem is we still have no feel for who we are/ identity , sure flashes, but nothing consistent. If you run easy action early in the game and get Giffey going, it'll be easier later to not lose composure. Calhoun is simply unproductive and throws our offense into flux early on. He is grossly inefficient. In all honestly tolks might need some of his tick.

pj

Reaction Score
We need Boatright on the court. You can start Giffey and play Kromah more. Brimah will probably be starting at center once he proves he can play large minutes without fouling out or getting tired. Not sure if that will be this year or next, hopefully this. Calhoun needs to get his shooting back and develop his whole game, I'm not sure he adds as much as Kromah or Giffey this year, but he can be an important piece. Facey might earn some time. Daniels is good but if we get scoring from the 3 spot then we could live with a rebounder/defender getting more time at the 4, assuming Facey can play solid defense.

Reaction Score

Because he's shown very little ability at this point? The guy hasn't really played all year. You want him to be a main contributor off the bench now?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I think Brimah starting gave us more energy and perhaps contributed to Phil playing much with much more passion and activity when he came off the bench.
I am hopeful that we will start to see the other change and see Omar come off the bench as well. Although this goes against the common perception of their games, statistically, LK has been a much better perimeter shooter and scorer off drives (52% from two, 50% from three) than Omar (paltry 23.8% from two, 11.5% from three against high major competition) and brings superior ball-handling & resultant penetration as well as far superior defense to the table.
Omar still needs to get some minutes for the sake of his development, but either he is slowed by the recovery from his surgery (though he doesn't appear to be limping) or he is tracking more for a Rashamel Jones type of career (starter as freshman, key player off the bench as a senior leading to NC#1).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Brimah starting gave us more energy and perhaps contributed to Phil playing much with much more passion and activity when he came off the bench.
I am hopeful that we will start to see the other change and see Omar come off the bench as well. Although this goes against the common perception of their games, statistically, LK has been a much better perimeter shooter and scorer off drives (52% from two, 50% from three) than Omar (paltry 23.8% from two, 11.5% from three against high major competition) and brings superior ball-handling & resultant penetration as well as far superior defense to the table.
Omar still needs to get some minutes for the sake of his development, but either he is slowed by the recovery from his surgery (though he doesn't appear to be limping) or he is tracking more for a Rashamel Jones type of career (starter as freshman, key player off the bench as a senior leading to NC#1).

Except Rash Jones came off the bench as the Freshman, along with Ricky Moore. Rash was a starter as a Sophomore, but eventually lost his starting position to Rip in his Junior year. Not saying Omar is Rash Jones, but if it leads to a National Championship, there are certainly worse things in life. LOL I think Omar is better at slashing to the hoop, but he seems to fall in love with the jumper/long distance shots, which I don't consider his strength. Omar needs to go back to his bread & butter, it's what made him a high level recruit, not shooting 3 ptr's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom