Amida has so much potential | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amida has so much potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, "Not talking quality here, but style and strengths/weaknesses." Amida will never be the defender or rebounder Dikembe was, but you could imagine him becoming the offensive threat Ewing was and matching Ewing's defense.

Patrick Ewing is often called the greatest jump shooting center in basketball history. He scored over 25000 points in the NBA and as a sophomore at GTown, w/out a shot clock (changed in part to his dominance), averaged 17 a game and the NBA lottery was instituted because of him. Go to TCF's channel and watch the GTown/UConn game when Ewing was a sophomore. He was well ahead of Amida at the same stage on both ends of the ball. This is not a knock on Amida; it is a testament to the fact that Ewing was one of the most dominant college AND pro centers of all time. He's a Jordan jump shot and Nova perfect game away from being a 3 time champion. Amida has outstanding potential here and in the pros. But I do not see Ewing in any way. Mutombo, Dieng, Ibaka at the high end, Samuel Dalembert if the offense stalls. Either way, Amida has a bright and lucrative future.

pj

Reaction Score
Ewing was the most advanced college center of all time. In terms of development, Amida is 7 years behind. But he has gifts. Ibaka is a good comparison too, but Ibaka is shorter than Amida and plays power forward, Amida is Ewing's height and will always be a back-to-the-basket center. I still think of these 3 Ewing is the most comparable. Again, you guys are focusing on greatness as opposed to style of play and relative strengths and weaknesses. In the same way, we could say that Caron Butler is the Husky whose game most resembles that of Michael Jordan, without denying that Ray Allen was the greatest Husky.

Reaction Score
Patrick Ewing is often called the greatest jump shooting center in basketball history. He scored over 25000 points in the NBA and as a sophomore at GTown, w/out a shot clock (changed in part to his dominance), averaged 17 a game and the NBA lottery was instituted because of him. Go to TCF's channel and watch the GTown/UConn game when Ewing was a sophomore. He was well ahead of Amida at the same stage on both ends of the ball. This is not a knock on Amida; it is a testament to the fact that Ewing was one of the most dominant college AND pro centers of all time. He's a Jordan jump shot and Nova perfect game away from being a 3 time champion. Amida has outstanding potential here and in the pros. But I do not see Ewing in any way. Mutombo, Dieng, Ibaka at the high end, Samuel Dalembert if the offense stalls. Either way, Amida has a bright and lucrative future.
Have to agree i dont see the Ewing comparison. Atleast not yet. I dont think anyone is really sure what AB ceiling really is. I think he has the potential to be a dominant big man on the college level and a solid NBA starting center but he could also not reach his max potential.

We have to remember he wasnt able to put in the work during the summer because of the shoulder surgery. I want to see what he can do after a summer of weight training and time at a big man camp. He could make a huge leap or just improve in small steps and then we`ll have a better idea of what he is. As it stands right now we see a ton of talent but he is just so raw with so much to learn that it makes you wonder if he`ll ever catch up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ewing was the most advanced college center of all time. In terms of development, Amida is 7 years behind. But he has gifts. Ibaka is a good comparison too, but Ibaka is shorter than Amida and plays power forward, Amida is Ewing's height and will always be a back-to-the-basket center. I still think of these 3 Ewing is the most comparable. Again, you guys are focusing on greatness as opposed to style of play and relative strengths and weaknesses. In the same way, we could say that Caron Butler is the Husky whose game most resembles that of Michael Jordan, without denying that Ray Allen was the greatest Husky.

No offense or anything, but I don't really see a comparison between Butler and MJ either.

Reaction Score
I'd actually say while at UConn, Kemba most resembled Jordan's game. Their iconic step back jumpers were pretty much from the exact same spot on the floor - although Kemba didn't push off on his.

Of course Kemba was six inches shorter, so his explosive, acrobatic finishes in traffic were just a bit less dunky.

Reaction Score
Patrick Ewing is a great comp for Amida. They are strikingly similar players in body size and shape, athleticism, and style of play. Ewing was quite a bit more skilled but Amida will get there with his work ethic, he has already made great progress.
There are very few similarities between Brimah and Ewing other than height. Ewing was highly skilled and one mean mother. Brimah is developing and has potential but Ewing was one of the best college and NBA centers ever. It isn't likely that any college center playing today will ever be as good as Ewing. Ewing really was that good.
Brimah appears to be a smart and enthusiastic kid and we are only seeing a small part of what he could be. He'll get better. But Patrick Ewing? Not likely.

Reaction Score
You guys do realize that Patrick Ewing is one of the greatest centers of all time, right? To me the Dikembe comp is better although Mutombu was a better defender, much, much better rebounder, but had less O. Amida has shown a nice touch and an ability to get into excellent position to convert on lobs. His post game is rudimentary at best. Improved for sure, but certainly nothing that scares anyone.

Karl Hobbs is the one that first compared him to Ewing, and he would know better than anyone. Not saying he's right or wrong, but it's not like people are just pulling that comparison out of their ass.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Karl Hobbs is the one that first compared him to Ewing, and he would know better than anyone. Not saying he's right or wrong, but it's not like people are just pulling that comparison out of their ass.

Hobbs compared the personalities, not the game...

"That smile and that personality," Hobbs said, "it reminds me so much of Patrick Ewing. That's what he was like."

http://articles.courant.com/2013-11...117-20131116_1_amida-brimah-noah-vonleh-ollie

Either way, I love Amida, am happy we have him and can watch him become whatever he is to become.

Reaction Score
Was this after the Puke game?

Reaction Score
There are very few similarities between Brimah and Ewing other than height. Ewing was highly skilled and one mean mother. Brimah is developing and has potential but Ewing was one of the best college and NBA centers ever. It isn't likely that any college center playing today will ever be as good as Ewing. Ewing really was that good.
Brimah appears to be a smart and enthusiastic kid and we are only seeing a small part of what he could be. He'll get better. But Patrick Ewing? Not likely.
Ewing wasn't necessarily more skilled as a Soph but he had much better hands and was very strong even at that young age.

Reaction Score
I don't remember Ewing smiling.
'College' Ewing was a player people turned on their TV sets to watch. Like someone said he played 'mean' and with intimidation. He led his team to a couple of FFs and a Championship. His jersey is in Springfield. The Univ. Virginia Ralph Sampson matchup was historic, and Ewing delivered. In fact I don't recall him being stoppable.

Brimah is tall, runs the court well and is agile like Ewing. As for college comparisons, it ends there.

Unless posters are making future projections (i.e. guessing).

Reaction Score
Ewing is a HOFer and top 50 NBA player. Brimah didn't score against Duke. This comparison is absurd.

'College' Ewing was a player people turned on their TV sets to watch. Like someone said he played 'mean' and with intimidation. He led his team to a couple of FFs and a Championship. His jersey is in Springfield. The Univ. Virginia Ralph Sampson matchup was historic, and Ewing delivered. In fact I don't recall him being stoppable.

Brimah is tall, runs the court well and is agile like Ewing. As for college comparisons, it ends there.

pj

Reaction Score

Yes, that's exactly what we're doing. Brimah has played about as much basketball as Ewing had as a sophomore in high school. We have to project him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When I project with Brimah, he is a 60 year old white guy who can't jump.

I still don't get Hobb's point. Ewing was a fierce, skulking intimidator. Always respected but never loved. Amida works hard too, but he runs around with a big smile, like "Look at me! I'm in America and I'm on TV!" I think their personalities are near opposite.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
When I project with Brimah, he is a 60 year old white guy who can't jump.

I still don't get Hobb's point. Ewing was a fierce, skulking intimidator. Always respected but never loved. Amida works hard too, but he runs around with a big smile, like "Look at me! I'm in America and I'm on TV!" I think their personalities are near opposite.
Hobbs grew up with Ewing. im sure Patrick was much more than the scowling guy you saw on the basketball court for a few minutes every week. I'm guessing he was different in practice and away from the court.

Reaction Score
And Facey looks like a better version of C Web

I'd actually say while at UConn, Kemba most resembled Jordan's game. Their iconic step back jumpers were pretty much from the exact same spot on the floor - although Kemba didn't push off on his.

Of course Kemba was six inches shorter, so his explosive, acrobatic finishes in traffic were just a bit less dunky.

Reaction Score
People do not wish to learn or change their ways.

Mauuconn stated many months ago that Amoeba is lucky to be 6'9" on a good day. This was proven in the UTEXAS game this year when said center battled and stood near opponent bigs who were listed at 6-10 on the opponent's website. Keep thinking Amoeba is an elite height, but the reality is he is NOT and the NBA knows this.

This wishful thinking that UCONN always portrays with their listings of player heights needs to stop. They are not scaring anyone. Get a brain on athletic department and maintain it for more than one minute please.

Keep in mind, the university refers to itself as UCONN on letterhead and notice the uniform jersey; golly gee, it says UCONN. But nothing changes; newspapers and other publications continue to butcher the name with various fictitious spellings and even the fans of the team do it.

Keep living the fantasy, but unless Amoeba hits a growth spurt he will only disappoint. This dude does have very, very long arms in the Dr J category and the NBA has most assuredly noted this. I saw Dr J play twice in live action at the Hugh S. Greer Fieldhouse and his finger tips reached his kneecaps when standing tall in a relaxed posture.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Mauuconn stated many months ago that Amoeba is lucky to be 6'9" on a good day. This was proven in the UTEXAS game this year when said center battled and stood near opponent bigs who were listed at 6-10 on the opponent's website. Keep thinking Amoeba is an elite height, but the reality is he is NOT and the NBA knows this.
This wishful thinking that UCONN always portrays with their listings of player heights needs to stop. They are not scaring anyone. Get a brain on athletic department and maintain it for more than one minute please.
Keep in mind, the university refers to itself as UCONN on letterhead and notice the uniform jersey; golly gee, it says UCONN. But nothing changes; newspapers and other publications continue to butcher the name with various fictitious spellings and even the fans of the team do it.

Just about every program in the country does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom