Amida Brimah's Heroics v St. Joe's | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah's Heroics v St. Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Ghana kid made a play. I don't think it was an outrageously difficult play ... and it is one he should make regularly. I think he will in 2014-2015.

The most notable item of interest in re-watching the St. Joe game (and thanks tcf15) is the play of #45 Kanacevic. I think Kevin Ollie gets my nod on this. From early on in that game (far more than you will see in the later games in the tournament), Ollie sent the ball to Brimah ... to Nolan ... and to Daniels on the low block. While Bill Raftery extolled H Kanacevic's play, I thought Ollie saw something he took advantage of. First, I would never have my 6'9" guy bringing the ball up (particularly what we saw of Boatright and Napier all year ... and Kromah/Samuel); but, that's Martelli's style - I think. A little unconventional thought. But, more importantly, Kanacevic is lazy OFTEN on defense. He fails to move his feet; he takes plays off; and he is prone to foul (and also ... from the announcers - he has a temper (6 exits in 2012-2013)). Ollie used him in his gameplan.

Throughout the tournament, both Brimah and Nolan failed at the rim. Maybe with development and strength, they will both improve. If they can finish, we are a good bit farther.

On the key play (inside 40 seconds), Brimah followed Napier to the rim. Kanacevic lagged (and yes, I saw him do this 2 times earlier in the game) and Brimah had inside position. Brimah easily grabbed the rebound ... and made a short hook. Kanacevic nudged him further out with the body: FOUL. And One.

The Ollie gameplan saw that St. Joe's played 5 players EXCLUSIVELY ... with little bench. Kanacevic then turned the game our way in the first 1:30 of overtime with another foul; getting to the spot in the lane late when Daniels drove. We also had a big edge in OT with fresher guys. St. Joseph's shot 60%+ in the first half and had us on the ropes the whole game; but, Ollie had some key strategic moves. In OT, we were advantaged. The big surprise, I thought, was the StJ Freshman DeAndre Bembry made lots of great plays; and Langston Galloway was on ... he's a great college guard.

I think our season extended and we grew a lot in this game. Villanova was made for our on-ball guard defense.

Reaction Score
I respected that St. Joe's kid so much after that game, having never seen him play. It wasn't until he fouled out that I knew we would win.

As for Brimah those 3 points were the biggest of his career. Ollie has a lot to work with in Brimah that's for sure. He seems a fun loving kid, with leadership qualities. He's a gem!

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
I respected that St. Joe's kid so much after that game, having never seen him play. It wasn't until he fouled out that I knew we would win. As for Brimah those 3 points were the biggest of his career. Ollie has a lot to work with in Brimah that's for sure. He seems a fun loving kid, with leadership qualities. He's a gem!

He actually played against UConn once before - preseason NIT at Gampel as a freshman at Hofstra. UConn almost lost that game, but Dyson hit a couple big shots late. Then they went on to MSG and lost to Duke. Clearly a sign of a down year.

Reaction Score
By fa far away the most important play last year that play was almost not describable how important it was to this team for possibly a decade to come

Reaction Score
I think our season extended and we grew a lot in this game.

Looking back on it decades down the line, this will be considered the biggest single play in our program's history this century. Let's compare and contrast (and speculate) on these two differing scenarios. This is an extreme case, so don't take it too literally, but these, potentially, were the stakes.

Brimah makes the and-1 (i.e. what actually happens):
- We go on to win the championship
- Ollie becomes a household name, garnering NBA attention
- We become more attractive to recruits (in progress), despite conference situation
[Speculation]
- That uptick in recruiting ushers in a period of sustained winning under legendary coach Ollie
- Down the line, the B1G is unable to ignore our continued hoops success and significant reach into the NYC market, in part demonstrated by our presence in this year's Sweet 16 and Elite 8, as well as upcoming NYC events, and invites us

Brimah misses the and-1:
- We lose in the first round and conclude a third straight ho-hum season out of the national spotlight
[Speculation]
- Questions persist about our program's ability to be relevant nationally with a new coach and a new conference
- Recruiting lags
- We go through cycles of being decent and mediocre, with occasional forays into contention, but nothing sustained
- P5 conferences are justified in ignoring us

Reaction Score
In this great run many heroics but it all started with Amida. That 3pt. Play will live in U conn lore forever. We hope this play can be made often between Amida , Phil and F acey too. Should be able to consistently get a rebound and make some p utbacks and 1. Lots depends on our front court guys .

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a picture of the "Brimah Chop" or can come up with one? My son wants to use it for his fantasy fb team name (he is too young to know how to find it...yet!)

Would be much appreciated!

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Without question the play that sparked the title was Amida's 3 point play at the end of regulation. There was never a doubt in my mind that the young man would complete the 3 point play from the stripe either

St. Joes gave us the toughest game and while @Pudge pointed out that he wouldn't have a 6'9 forward bringing up the ball, that was part of the reason why we weren't able to deploy our crazy on ball pressure with Boat and Bazz. Those guys were defending off the ball and weren't able to assert their defensive presence and disrupt their offense.

All of the other tourney games our guards wrecked havoc on the opposing ball handlers...just saying

Reaction Score
The Ghana kid made a play. . . . . Villanova was made for our on-ball guard defense.
Good assessment.
I'd say, however, the reason that the St. Joes game was so close was because Napier had a so-so game rather than his usual awesome game. A few mental errors. Shot off. Some of it was St. Joe's D on him. Some of it was just Bazz.
Survived, moved on, hung gear.

Nice.

Reaction Score
Without question the play that sparked the title was Amida's 3 point play at the end of regulation. There was never a doubt in my mind that the young man would complete the 3 point play from the stripe either

St. Joes gave us the toughest game and while @Pudge pointed out that he wouldn't have a 6'9 forward bringing up the ball, that was part of the reason why we weren't able to deploy our crazy on ball pressure with Boat and Bazz. Those guys were defending off the ball and weren't able to assert their defensive presence and disrupt their offense.

All of the other tourney games our guards wrecked havoc on the opposing ball handlers...just saying

I agree.
Still. #45 threw the ball away a half dozen times. I guess the simple answer is the point of attack changed & both Galloway & Bembry had great games because we (UConn) picked them at different angles.

I don't think it's debate able that a bench would have been a last great asset for the Hawks.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Brimahs got heart he deserved that play. The free throws tho were what had me like:eek:... A freshman, center, like 4 years of basketball expierence, late in the game, ncaa game! Thats the difference between a good player and a great player. Can the season start already?

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Looking back on it decades down the line, this will be considered the biggest single play in our program's history this century. Let's compare and contrast (and speculate) on these two differing scenarios. This is an extreme case, so don't take it too literally, but these, potentially, were the stakes.

- We become more attractive to recruits (in progress), despite conference situation
[Speculation]
- That uptick in recruiting ushers in a period of sustained winning under legendary coach Ollie
- Down the line, the B1G is unable to ignore our continued hoops success and significant reach into the NYC market, in part demonstrated by our presence in this year's Sweet 16 and Elite 8, as well as upcoming NYC events, and invites us

Brimah misses the and-1:
- We lose in the first round and conclude a third straight ho-hum season out of the national spotlight
[Speculation]
- Questions persist about our program's ability to be relevant nationally with a new coach and a new conference
- Recruiting lags
- We go through cycles of being decent and mediocre, with occasional forays into contention, but nothing sustained

Spot on! Critical play in both a critical time of the game, the most critical game in measuring a program's season (suck's to lose in first round), and during perhaps the most critical season in determining the program's direction in the future (new coach, weaker conference, coming off academic suspension). Nice post.

Reaction Score

[Speculation]

Brimah misses the and-1:
[Speculation]
- Recruiting lags

SARCASTIC RESPONSE (but one that is made up of all real arguments heard from others).
You're clearly wrong. All the Championship run showed was that UConn is lucky:

- Fluke play by a freshman with no offensive game. Lucky win.
- Win against an overrated 2 seed that we match up perfectly against. Anyone would've beaten them (even though only 2 teams did during the season).
- 2 home games to get to the Final Four. Nobody has ever gotten to play closer to their home than UConn at MSG (but remember that UConn doesn't have a piece of NY if you try to use this on a realignment argument).
- Final four game against a clearly injured Welbekin giving UConn a second fluke win against Florida. Play that game 10 times and Florida wins 8 of them... or none.
- Finish the championship against an inexperienced Kentucky team and bad refs.
- UConn cheats.

Reaction Score
SARCASTIC RESPONSE (but one that is made up of all real arguments heard from others).
You're clearly wrong. All the Championship run showed was that UConn is lucky:

- Fluke play by a freshman with no offensive game. Lucky win.
- Win against an overrated 2 seed that we match up perfectly against. Anyone would've beaten them (even though only 2 teams did during the season).
- 2 home games to get to the Final Four. Nobody has ever gotten to play closer to their home than UConn at MSG (but remember that UConn doesn't have a piece of NY if you try to use this on a realignment argument).
- Final four game against a clearly injured Welbekin giving UConn a second fluke win against Florida. Play that game 10 times and Florida wins 8 of them... or none.
- Finish the championship against an inexperienced Kentucky team and bad refs.
- UConn cheats.

I thought I was reading the Cuse board.

Reaction Score
By fa far away the most important play last year that play was almost not describable how important it was to this team for possibly a decade to come
Could not agree with you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman